Timing 74 xl350

Hey guys, my bike blows white smoke like crazy when I start it up. I need to check/set timing and check the valves. I'm not to sure how to do this. I have an ironhead harley I can work on down to the t. Need help if anyone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Hey guys, my bike blows white smoke like crazy when I start it up. I need to check/set timing and check the valves. I'm not to sure how to do this. I have an ironhead harley I can work on down to the t. Need help if anyone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The service manual will outline timing and valve adjustment specs pretty extensively.  The valve guides are probably worn if you are getting smoke at start up, valve adjustments and timing will not fix that.

Valve guides worn at 4k?

I'm wondering if it's been sitting for awhile there might be gas in the oil.

Well you didn't state mileage but yes it is a possibility as those heads were prone to guide and cam wear (inadequate bearings) especially with the terrible oil that was available at the time.  If memory serves the valve guide seals are just o-rings that have probably failed from age and it is letting oil leak down into the cylinder and is expelled at first start up.

This is just a guess, you can make your own conclusions.

Change oil, set valves and check initial and total timing. After you do that I suggest a fresh batch of gas in tank. Ride a bit and see if it clears up.  If it needs top end work I suggest guide replacement and new valves. I use bronze guides and a friend makes very nice stainless valves for these. I also use a new style valve seal that will handle heat and does not get hard like old ones did.

Now saying all that there is possibility of damaged head as cam and cam journals are prone to wear if not maintained properly. Oil was issue as many people just rode these til they broke. Also as far as miles it cannot be used as deciding factor. If you had bike maintained well and rode by an adult it may go 15,000 no issue. Then you could give same bike to my nephew and 1 month later it is ready for scrap heap