need a beginner desert bike.

What should I get I do basic pits riding on my little Honda XR50R. But I wanna try desert riding I live near ocotillio and I wanna ride but not a bike to big for me

5 foot 9

140lbs

14 years old

Some riding experience not much though.

And try to keep it under 1500$

Also it needs to be green sticker capable

little 2 strokes tend to go BOOOM in the desert. I grew up riding in Ocotillo and went from my cr80 to an XR200 at about your age. It was a good bike to play on. While I always wished I had gone to the XR250r, It was just too big. After about a year on the XR I went to a CR250R.

XR 200 over a KDX? Naw.....XR250...Yup

KDX 220 would take some $ (from a stock bike) to make it a good desert bike. The 200 or 250 would work just fine though.

I'd rather have a KDX220 (with a fresh Wiseco and an FMF Fatty) over all the others. But with a budget of $1500 beggars can't be choosers. He's going to have to be pretty open to whatever is available with that budget.

yeah, you really want an enduro/trail bike for desert not a high strung MX bike. the XR's are bullet proof, the XR500/600 as well as XR400R are the quintessential desert bike, but you might have to get a lowering link.  the KDX,RMX and WRZ are good, but still taller than a XR200/250. I have raced the XR200R in the desert, and I'm 6'1" 225lbs.

Edited by cynicryder

I was thinking 4t 125 my dad thinks kdx and xrs are too powerfull for me

The XR200 is super mellow and 2.5" shorter than an XR250. Neither are anything like modern 250f's though.

The ttr is another 3" shorter than the XR200. My wife has a ttr 125 and it is not really that much of a step up from a pit bike power or performance wise. You are too tall for it and will wish you were on something else really quickly.

My brother got a KDX 200 at the same time I got my XR200. The KDX was very intimidating for me. My brother made me ride it (yes, at the time he could do that) and I promptly grabbed too much throttle, then too much front brake, and endo'd it- Breaking his levers and hurting my wrist. I left it on the ground, walked away and told him what I thought of him and his bike. He never asked me to ride it again lol (although, I may have only been 11 or 12 at the time, and he was 14/15. But we both had quite a bit of experience by then).

Edited by basalt
  • Like 1

The XR200 is super mellow and 2.5" shorter than an XR250. Neither are anything like modern 250f's though.

The ttr is another 3" shorter than the XR200. My wife has a ttr 125 and it is not really that much of a step up from a pit bike power or performance wise. You are too tall for it and will wish you were on something else really quickly.

My brother got a KDX 200 at the same time I got my XR200. The KDX was very intimidating for me. My brother made me ride it (yes, at the time he could do that) and I promptly grabbed too much throttle, then too much front brake, and endo'd it- Breaking his levers and hurting my wrist. I left it on the ground, walked away and told him what I thought of him and his bike. He never asked me to ride it again lol (although, I may have only been 11 or 12 at the time, and he was 14/15. But we both had quite a bit of experience by then).

The only xr 200s I can find in my area are 1981s