Riding get away - where to go?

Hey guys. I cannot take this Wisconsin winter anymore, and I want to take a long weekend to go riding SOMEWHERE warmer. lol. Any suggestions? I am an off road guy, not much of an MX'r, but am looking to be on the bike from sunup to sundown, or as many hours as I can do. Would love some off road trail riding over some rolling mountains or hills. Thinking I will go early February. Currently thinking about GA or NC, or somewhere in the south east. Just want the weather to be warm "enough", and to find an area where rain or weather will not make the trip a waste.

Lots of places down this way. Hayfields McCoy in WV, black Mountain in KY, Brushy Mountain in NC. I'm sure there are places between here and there but you can definitely ride for several days, especially HM.

Go west, young man!

Georgia, Alabama, etc could be nice and warm, or it could be like DR.billZ said and be below freezing. The southwestern desert is usually "in season" during our winter and probably a safer bet. It all depends on how much time you have though....

Go west, young man!

Georgia, Alabama, etc could be nice and warm, or it could be like DR.billZ said and be below freezing. The southwestern desert is usually "in season" during our winter and probably a safer bet. It all depends on how much time you have though....

Yep, Cali or AZ.  Southern NM would be OK too.  I live in northern NM and its very cold and we have snow,  but the southern part of the state is pretty nice this time of year.

What's your budget?

I'm dying to get here...

http://www.mauimotoadventures.com/

I thought about posting a budget. Lets say I would like to stay within 12hr drive of Milwaukee WI. 

That does look amazing. I follow a guy on you tube who is always posting vids of riding out there. Definitely out of my budget for now. 

Southwest has the most riding of anywhere this time of year....

I agree, I just dont want to pay to get out to the SW. Just need a couple of days on the bike to scratch an itch. I used to live around Joshua Tree in southern CA. Miss desert riding. Would love to get to the Rockies sometime too.

Lots of places down this way. Hayfields McCoy in WV, black Mountain in KY, Brushy Mountain in NC. I'm sure there are places between here and there but you can definitely ride for several days, especially HM.

I have a friend that lives in Asheville, NC, and another in Nashville TN. Recommendations around those areas?

• Like 1

I thought about posting a budget. Lets say I would like to stay within 12hr drive of Milwaukee WI. 

That does look amazing. I follow a guy on you tube who is always posting vids of riding out there. Definitely out of my budget for now. 

Accidental Broadcast? That's where I found out about Mauimoto, apparently they are buds...

You can reach warm weather with that drive time, head south west. Maybe Reno area?

I agree, I just dont want to pay to get out to the SW. Just need a couple of days on the bike to scratch an itch. I used to live around Joshua Tree in southern CA. Miss desert riding. Would love to get to the Rockies sometime too.

I have a friend that lives in Asheville, NC, and another in Nashville TN. Recommendations around those areas?

Weather can be tricky at any of these. Some days in Feb below freezing, some days in the 70s. Brushy Mountain is closest to Ashville. Black Mountain (Evarts, KY) is north of Knoxville. HM goes from SW WV into Eastern KY. All of them are open regardless of weather I think. Temp would be the tricky part. I live in Central NC. It was 70s this past weekend and will be single digits tonight.

North Carolina isn't really far enough south, IMO. the problem with the east coast is that storm fronts move in and out at random, so it's really hard to predict if your trip will be a waste or not. Every winter I go to a place near Birmingham, AL(northern part of the state)for rock climbing and it's usually in the 50's during the day, high 30's at night and we camp. Some days were even T-shirt weather. But least year, a random cold front moved in for the whole 10 days we were there, and it didn't get above 30 the entire trip. Lows were in the teens, it was miserable.

Me and some Virginia buddies are considering a trip to Georgia, either to Highland or Durhamtown, both near Atlanta I think. It's not far enough south to be a guarantee, but in another month or so we'll be so sick of the cold, plus slightly(and I do mean only slightly) acclimated to the cold better. So 40-50 would feel kind of nice. Probably even better for you, since you're from Wisconsin.

• Like 2

North Carolina isn't really far enough south, IMO. the problem with the east coast is that storm fronts move in and out at random, so it's really hard to predict if your trip will be a waste or not. Every winter I go to a place near Birmingham, AL(northern part of the state)for rock climbing and it's usually in the 50's during the day, high 30's at night and we camp. Some days were even T-shirt weather. But least year, a random cold front moved in for the whole 10 days we were there, and it didn't get above 30 the entire trip. Lows were in the teens, it was miserable.

Me and some Virginia buddies are considering a trip to Georgia, either to Highland or Durhamtown, both near Atlanta I think. It's not far enough south to be a guarantee, but in another month or so we'll be so sick of the cold, plus slightly(and I do mean only slightly) acclimated to the cold better. So 40-50 would feel kind of nice. Probably even better for you, since you're from Wisconsin.

I was trying to stay within his 12 hour radius. He could maybe get to N GA but not ATL. Prob some pretty good riding in N GA but I haven't been there. I've been to the others. 🙂

Accidental Broadcast? That's where I found out about Mauimoto, apparently they are buds...

You can reach warm weather with that drive time, head south west. Maybe Reno area?

Yup! thats him. Those trails always look great. 

Thanks for all of the comments guys. I do appreciate it. I know I am kind of rolling the dice a bit with the time frame. Talking with my friends down there, they say the same thing that it is very unpredictable. I may push things back towards the end of FEB for a little added security. I just know that sitting around waiting for spring in WI is not something I will do this year. Gonna make a trip somewhere, and ride!!  5 degrees or 90, I will be riding. Maybe Arkansas or top of TX? I was originally looking at the southeast because its some pretty awesome looking country. I have not had a chance to ride out there yet. I also have friends out there to stay with, so no cost on room and board to the southeast. $$$

Finding a place open rain or shine would be great. If I just have to suck it up a little bit for some cold rainy weather, then I can do that. If it rains a little and the trails close for 3 days, that's a total loss!!  

Edited by Limagrunt0331

So 40-50 would feel kind of nice. Probably even better for you, since you're from Wisconsin. 

When it doesn't really get out of the single digits for a couple of months, 40-50 feels like summer!! It was -11 when I left for work this morning. With a high of 0 for the day. 🙂

Have you ever ridden a snowmobile? Maybe a little "staycation" might be in order...its damn good fun, might be able to find an outfitter/guide in your area for what might be the cost of a long drive trip...

Love doing that!! Financially, you have a good point. Its great fun, but I have my mind set on riding!! 

If you are willing to go a bit further in search of the warmer temps go to Croom in FL, big place with nice campsites and you can easily ride there for 5+ days without getting bored.  We used to do a riding trip every February to hit up the MX tracks in FL before the weather here in NJ broke, went to Croom twice in 7 years and enjoyed it both times.  Other tracks like Bostwick and Hard Rock have some trails but if you are not splitting the day with some track riding they would not be worth it.