ktm oil filter bolt snapped?

hi, I snapped my oil filter bolt on my ktm250sxf and a friend of mine thought he could get it out with a easy out but he broke that off in the broken bolt. is it possible to remove both or still pull the old bolt out? were my oil filter goes I would have to split the cases just to replace that case so I really do not want to do that right now. I seen people saying you can use carbine bit and drill slowly?

ktmmotor.jpg

I've snapped that same bolt but was lucky enough to get it out first try without hassle. But I've snapped the kick starter bolt and trying I get that out I found myself in your shoes with a broken easy out. You have to drill a bigger hole through both the easy out and bolt. After I drill the hole I don't use the easy out in the drill chuck. I tap the easy out bit into the hole with linemans pliers and use them to turn the bit and bolt all together.

Yea the extracting bit is tough so make sure you have some new drill bits on hand. Another thing that is hard to avoid... That bolt isn't set in with much torque to begin with, so if the bit catches a snag on an edge or something you can actually drive the bolt in further. If you don't have a good drill index pick one up. Not a 10 bit Ryobi set but a good steel drill index with many to choose from because you will need a lot of small bits. I don't think you will need to go over quarter inch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a word of advice.  Whenever you are trying to remove a broken bolt, always use a left handed drill bit (reverse direction drill bit) to first drill the hole.  This prevent the possibility of tightening or driving the broken bolt in instead of loosening it.  In many cases, the left handed bit will actually extract the broken bolt and you may not even need an extractor.  Take a look at some videos on YouTube by searching these bits.  Don't forget to reverse the direction of your drill motor so that it turns counter clockwise as this is the only direction a left handed drill bit will cut.  I know, it is obvious but just making sure the concept and procedure is understood. :smashpc:

• Like 1

+1 for left handed drills.

Its very hard to do, since you now have a hardened EzOut broken in a steel bolt, which is usually in something like an aluminum part. A drill press really helps. If you break it again, take it to a machine shop and pay a pro to remove it.

I've had better luck using a punch and hammer to try to rotate the broken bolt to unscrew it. I hate EzOuts.

Sometimes its better to use a Tig or Mig welder to weld a new nut onto the broken shaft. Then you can use a nice wrench to remove it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

south jersey and trying to get out there im putting bike together from being apart during winter, and my valve cover bolt stripped and wont tighten so I have to heli coil that and when i twist the throttle its smoothe half way threw then sticks (just cleaned the carb compltley too. feels like something is jamming at top

Yea I saw that other thread but didn't have any advice I offer up on that one. I'm on Monmouth County about 30 mins east of Raceway Park. I'm skipping the race this Sun because it'll still be muddy. If it doesn't rain too much Sat I might try to get down to Sarco Sat/Sun to play in the sand if you're ready to go that soon.

• 1 year later...