Mid size trucks

Nice, but too damn much money IMHO (when loaded up). Wait until later this year when the 16 models are out (including the oil burner). I bet you'll see see incentives like the full sized models on the gassers. I've been looking the the GMC fairly closely, as a full sized is more than I need and too long for the garage. I'll be needing to replace my 2001 Tahoe in the near future.

I'm still in my 01 Tahoe also. Looked at the Colorado/Canyon yesterday, too big. May as well go full size and get the 5.3 for equal mpg  and a proven powertrain. Far as I'm concerned GM blew it again. Back looking at an access cab Tacoma or Frontier. Have no desire for a full size.

Seen and touched, but not driven, yet. I own a new Silverado though so the interiors and what not are similar. I have driven many cars with the same basic 3.6 out of the Colorado/Canyon and IMO they are less then stellar and deliver marginal MPG's. Don't get me wrong the 3.6 is more then adequate for pushing the truck around, but lives in revs and works best in a car. The new twins best will be, bar none, the 2.8 duramax.  

As of right now the Silverado/Sierra is the way to go until rebates hit on the Colorado/Canyon and/or the duramax arrives. 

Don't get me wrong the new Mid-sizers are great but when you can walk into a dealership and get close to 10k or more off the full-sizers that arguably get close to the same mileage the full-sizers just make more sense. 

• Like 1

I thought those big rebates had expired.

Sure they vary month to month, but it's not uncommon for guys to be getting 10k+ off. You would probably have to find a 14 for 10k as the 15's are still fresh, but come march/april the 15's will see heavy discounts. I'd still expect 6k off a 15 right now, just need to know how to haggle. But with the Colorado/Canyon in a few months I am sure rebates will start flying as well. 

My co worker has one as his company car. Says he likes it a lot and always gets 22MPG regardless of how he drives it (which my perspective from the passenger's seat is he drives it like the company is paying for his gas, which it is.) Like any other vehicle, I think if you buy a 5spd and drive like a sane person, you can do way better than 22MPG and you won't have to deal with the BS a slushbox forces you to do if you want them to last.

Personally I wish they'd sell small trucks with a small four cylinder. Chevy luv Isuzu pup Nissan hard body Mitsubishi colt Ford courier Toyota 22R Etc. Sell them short bed with a extended cab or regular cab. No v6. Emphasize lightness and MPG. I own a full size and like it but only drive it 5K per year due to fuel consumption even at $2/gallon. Yes, I'm cheap.

Personally I wish they'd sell small trucks with a small four cylinder. Chevy luv Isuzu pup Nissan hard body Mitsubishi colt Ford courier Toyota 22R Etc. Sell them short bed with a extended cab or regular cab. No v6. Emphasize lightness and MPG. I own a full size and like it but only drive it 5K per year due to fuel consumption even at $2/gallon. Yes, I'm cheap.

If you need a truck that little, the used market sound like the best. If you look, you can find low mile, well taken care of example like this for cheap, cheap, cheap.

Who's with me, I never thought "mid size" when I hear "Colorodo", mid-size is a half ton, maybe a 3/4 ton. Colorodo is a compact truck and marketing just makes you feel better about buying a compact.

Any way, as someone else said, compact, 4 cyl, 5spd, relatively great fuel economy and still being able to use it as a truck, hit up the used market. There are plenty, I know cause I'm doing that now. In fact, I'm rather pleased to see as many compact trucks still on the market because that should mean there will be supply and demand for salvage parts for the trucks I'm looking to buy for years to come. The only thing that's taking me a while is finding ones in above average body condition and in my rather tight budget. (this wasn't exactly in the financial plan) They exist, but the ones with faded paint and a few too many dents also exist. I haven't got a clue about slush boxes and to be frank, I'd avoid a slushbox except if it were free. My standards drop drastically when someone else is footing the bill.
Edited by Smacaroni

I don't park outside. I'm not buying 35k in full sized truck and letting it waste away in the Florida sunshine & heat. It really kills cars aesthtically and I keep my cars for a long time. I could probably squeeze a full sized crew/short box in the garage, but no room to walk behind or in front of it. That's a PITA when you use your garage a lot. Both of these trucks will fit in my garage nicely, get way better fuel mileage than my 01 5.3 tahoe and have more than enough utility for my lifestyle. The Yota and Nissa just lack any sort of refinement for a daily driver and road trip vehicle. I want a nice ride, solid feel, good power, and homeowner utility. But, I won't buy a top trim at the current price. Too high. This fall, we'll see how pricing fairs.

I've spent a lot of time driving and riding in an 07 loaded crew cab 4X4 with the larger inline 5, as well as a base 08 extended cab with the 4 banger.  I haven't looked at the new ones, but I wouldn't spend my own money on the previous design.  They're a joke compared to the Tacoma and Frontier (I own a Frontier and have driven many Tacoma's).  I can't think of a single thing that the GM does better than the Toyota or Nissan, except for better gas mileage with the automatic transmission.  And the Colorado/Canyon will have a smoother ride than the Nissan (but the Frontier is the best worker out of the group).

I test drove a fully loaded Canyon. Nice. I'm a Toyota fanboy and will be purchasing a 2016 Tacoma 4Door short bed (full specs released today at Detroit), but the GMC is nice. No sliding rear window, though.

When I spec'd one out online, the sliding window was an option or least I thought so. What do you know about the 16 Tacoma?

Had a look at the Colorado, not for me, just too big. Not even close to being "mid-size" anymore. May as well go full size and get the 5.3. Will be looking hard at the Tacoma and Frontier. Might even search for a clean Dakota, have had two and they were perfect for me.