Bike suggestions for Telluride, CO

Me and my father are going to be new riders. My father has some motorcycle experience, where as I only have mountain bike experience. (I am 16 years old). We were looking for a few bikes that would be good for trail riding and will have plenty of power/cooling at 10000-12000ft (please account the power loss at that height). We would like the bikes to be fuel injected. For your consideration, both me and my father regularly drive high horsepower (400-700WHP) cars without any driving aids such as ABS and traction control. This shows that we are capable of controlling power and our right hand lol. The bikes will have to be street legal to get to the trail,and will have to be okay with sitting and only being run a few times during the winter (vacation house). We prefer that the bike does not need continuous mechanical maintenance other than oil changes etc... To give you a perspective in the size of the bikes, I am 6'0" 170lbs and my father is in the 6'2 220lbs range. I was looking at the 2015 KTM 350 EXC-F enduro bike. Thank you in advance! I really appreciate it!

Edited by GTHunter

You can't go wrong with the KTM enduro bikes, but if you want another suggestion, Honda makes a crf 250x and a crf 450x that are really reliable. I have an 07 450x that I learned on and it's tough. You can buy the street legal pack for a couple hundred dollars off Rocky Mountain ATV and you'd be set. Only thing is that the Hondas aren't fuel injected, but as long as they're jetted right there's no problem. Both have good power in them. But the KTM's are great bikes too.

You can't go wrong with the KTM enduro bikes, but if you want another suggestion, Honda makes a crf 250x and a crf 450x that are really reliable. I have an 07 450x that I learned on and it's tough. You can buy the street legal pack for a couple hundred dollars off Rocky Mountain ATV and you'd be set. Only thing is that the Hondas aren't fuel injected, but as long as they're jetted right there's no problem. Both have good power in them. But the KTM's are great bikes too.

I have been looking at the Honda bikes too! Although I thought the 2015 was fuel injected. I was looking at yamahas as well, like the WR450F. I was wanting fuel injection because the bikes would be sitting for up to a month to two at a time. With my experience with classic cars, when carbs sit with this new fuel the carbs gaskets and floats rot! Do you think the 450 power and weight will be too much for an unexperienced rider like myself? Im considering getting a beater bike at first to practice on (like a 200X cr250 4 stroke)...

• Like 1

That's the same reason I bought my 450x for a beater bike to practice cause it was my first bike! haha. I've had it for a year and a half, and I haven't had any problems with the carb. I only ride during the summer so my bike sits 3-4 months before being ridden consistently throughout the week and the carb has always been spot on after I had it adjusted. I don't think a 450x has too much power for a beginner as long as you have some knowledge of how a clutch works, that's how it was so easy for me because I already knew how to work a clutch so I wasn't really beginning to learn how to ride. Just respect the power and you should be good. I've heard mixed reviews on the WR's so I'm not real sure about them. In my opinion, I'd either go with the KTM's or a Honda. Not sure about a Husky, heard they make good bikes though, they're supposed to be identical to the KTM bikes. and if you're worried about parts, you can always just go to Rocky Mountain or Motosport for parts, Motosport has a real good website for parts and even includes all the OEM parts and a diagram of your specific bike with the part numbers, if you're a guy that solely does OEM parts. The 450x has won so many Baja races and it's a proven bike for trails, real smooth power, and from 07-15 they're really all the same bike, Honda hasn't changed much at all. But I know KTM's enduro bikes have had some technology put in them. Either way, they're all good bikes from those brands, Honda, Husky, and KTM. I'm buying a new KTM myself in a couple weeks.ย 

Looks like your father has a GT. I hate you for that lol. I have a gt500 ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

For a 16 year old beginner, I would say a 250 four stroke would be a good start. KTM, Honda, Yamaha .....all great bikes.

ย 

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/250-xc-f-usa/highlights.html#.VK8lVOk5BZQ

Ive been fortunate enough to drive the GT (700HP with no electrical driver aids) a couple times, and WOW what a phenomenal car. I myself, drive a 2005 mustang GT (5spd and procharged/cammed). The Detroit auto show is happening soon and rumor has it the new GT is being announced. If this rumor becomes true, we will be first in line! If its not announced my dad is currently eyeing the new gt350. What year is your GT500? Those are some scary powerful cars.ย 

1265120_436541369795060_83346300_o.jpg

Edited by GTHunter

If you want new factory street legal bikes, you are limited to Beta, Husky and KTM. ย Yamaha and Honda only sell grossly overweight street plated 250's.

I would prefer to have a street legal bike from the factory, so that I could ride it home from the dealership. Will a dealership install the kits to make them street legal? I just want to keep my options open. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ -Hunter

I only got to ride there once and moved out of state. ๐Ÿ˜ข One of my favorite places of all time. ๐Ÿ‘

My parents bought a vacation home in mountain village last christmas, so I get to spend a good bit of time there.

That's the same reason I bought my 450x for a beater bike to practice cause it was my first bike! haha. I've had it for a year and a half, and I haven't had any problems with the carb. I only ride during the summer so my bike sits 3-4 months before being ridden consistently throughout the week and the carb has always been spot on after I had it adjusted. I don't think a 450x has too much power for a beginner as long as you have some knowledge of how a clutch works, that's how it was so easy for me because I already knew how to work a clutch so I wasn't really beginning to learn how to ride. Just respect the power and you should be good. I've heard mixed reviews on the WR's so I'm not real sure about them. In my opinion, I'd either go with the KTM's or a Honda. Not sure about a Husky, heard they make good bikes though, they're supposed to be identical to the KTM bikes. and if you're worried about parts, you can always just go to Rocky Mountain or Motosport for parts, Motosport has a real good website for parts and even includes all the OEM parts and a diagram of your specific bike with the part numbers, if you're a guy that solely does OEM parts. The 450x has won so many Baja races and it's a proven bike for trails, real smooth power, and from 07-15 they're really all the same bike, Honda hasn't changed much at all. But I know KTM's enduro bikes have had some technology put in them. Either way, they're all good bikes from those brands, Honda, Husky, and KTM. I'm buying a new KTM myself in a couple weeks.ย 

What KTM are you looking at?

Ive been fortunate enough to drive the GT (700HP with no electrical driver aids) a couple times, and WOW what a phenomenal car. I myself, drive a 2005 mustang GT (5spd and procharged/cammed). The Detroit auto show is happening soon and rumor has it the new GT is being announced. If this rumor becomes true, we will be first in line! If its not announced my dad is currently eyeing the new gt350. What year is your GT500? Those are some scary powerful cars.ย 

I have a 07. But it's highly modified, 2014 TVS blower, 700 crank HP. 4.10 gears and a buttload of torque. Might add a "small" wet shot of nitrous.ย  ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

So we don't derail this thread LOL...........do any of your buddies ride, so you can get a feel for what you might like ? What type of riding do you plan to do ? Electric start, lights, and large tank are a huge plus for long rides.

I have a 07. But it's highly modified, 2014 TVS blower, 700 crank HP. 4.10 gears and a buttload of torque. Might add a "small" wet shot of nitrous.ย  ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

So we don't derail this thread LOL...........do any of your buddies ride, so you can get a feel for what you might like ? What type of riding do you plan to do ? Electric start, lights, and large tank are a huge plus for long rides.

I have a few friends here in Houston that would let me test ride their bikes, however the dealership closest to my house has test drive days once a month, where you can take out a couple bikes in one day. Me and my father are planning on doing simple trail riding at first but then once we become comfortable with the bikes, we will go into the more technical areas. At first we will probably rip through some old mining roads and some simple single track. Ride length could very from 3 hour rides to - 8+ hour rides. I hope that I could ride the bike to Moab with my dad at some point. So basically all I need is a All around good and reliable bike that I can grow into as my skill increases. Im a fan of the fuel injected bikes with electric start, because I believe that they will be more reliable/lower maintenance after sitting for a couple weeks to a month at a time. I really appreciate your help and thoroughness, also your GT500 sounds kickass! I have always been a fan of that years body style on the shelbys.ย 

I have a few friends here in Houston that would let me test ride their bikes, however the dealership closest to my house has test drive days once a month, where you can take out a couple bikes in one day. Me and my father are planning on doing simple trail riding at first but then once we become comfortable with the bikes, we will go into the more technical areas. At first we will probably rip through some old mining roads and some simple single track. Ride length could very from 3 hour rides to - 8+ hour rides. I hope that I could ride the bike to Moab with my dad at some point. So basically all I need is a All around good and reliable bike that I can grow into as my skill increases. Im a fan of the fuel injected bikes with electric start, because I believe that they will be more reliable/lower maintenance after sitting for a couple weeks to a month at a time. I really appreciate your help and thoroughness, also your GT500 sounds kickass! I have always been a fan of that years body style on the shelbys.ย 

Thank you for the compliment ๐Ÿ™‚ I always like to talk about Mustangs .

ย 

It sounds like you are on the right track. It is a definite plus having electric start. Fuel injection is also nice. I think a 250-350 four stroke would be plenty of power for what you need. I am biased and believe KTM makes the superior product ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for the compliment ๐Ÿ™‚ I always like to talk about Mustangs .

ย 

It sounds like you are on the right track. It is a definite plus having electric start. Fuel injection is also nice. I think a 250-350 four stroke would be plenty of power for what you need. I am biased and believe KTM makes the superior product ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah! im glad i got 2 stangs! (inherited 1 from my grandfather)... I will definitely take the Ktm 350 exc-f for a test ride. Its a lightweight bike, but will have plenty of power for me to grow into. What bike do you personally ride? Also, what do you think about the Husqvarna bikes, I have heard that they are very competitive with the KTM. I will most likely end up with the KTM, but I have always thought Huskys were cool. Also if i were to get the KTM what starter basic modifications would you recommend? I myself would like a larger fuel tank and possibly some led headlights.

Yeah! im glad i got 2 stangs! (inherited 1 from my grandfather)... I will definitely take the Ktm 350 exc-f for a test ride. Its a lightweight bike, but will have plenty of power for me to grow into. What bike do you personally ride? Also, what do you think about the Husqvarna bikes, I have heard that they are very competitive with the KTM. I will most likely end up with the KTM, but I have always thought Huskys were cool. Also if i were to get the KTM what starter basic modifications would you recommend? I myself would like a larger fuel tank and possibly some led headlights.

currently I have a 04 ktm 450. Although I have had many many bikes. I think a 350 exc-f would be a great choice for you. Plenty of power to grow into.

ย 

As far as the Husky's, I have not had personal experience with them. I am not sure on the reliability. I do know that the parts may be harder to come by. Even KTM parts are harder to come by compared to Honda and Yamaha. But the KTM is superior in my opinion.

ย 

For modifications the possibilities are endless. Exhaust, gearing, suspension, cams.....you can do whatever you want ! Honestly a new muffler and maybe 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket (low end torque and wheelies ๐Ÿ™‚ )....you will be golden. ย