WR400 back from the dead

I am hoping you paid nothing for this monumental project. I have built many vintage bikes from completely nothing and spent thousands just to get them road worthy running safely. Less is more for you, I am hoping you got a great deal.

It was free. I got it together with a yz250f. I have long sold the 250f and made a decent amount of money on that. This wr has been taking up space in my shop and i need something to do. ?
  • Like 1

Quick update. Got it to actually stay running for a decent amout of time, let it warm up a little put a a few plastics on it. Waiting on the exhaust, airbox, clutch perch and lever and cable, grips, front brakes, gas tank petcock, rear brake master cylinder rebuild kit, bolt kit, oil and air filters.

I need suggestions on a headlight. I dont have the fairing or anything. OEM looks fairly pricy compared to universal ebay kits...

Check out my gas tank! It doesnt last very long lol but the bike seems to run pretty good but i cant get it to idle. Ive played with the fuel screw some and its currently at 3 turns out. Its got a 45 pilot jet and i have the idle turned all the way up. It wont idle cold at all. With the bike warmed up it will idle really high and when i start turning the idle screw down it will suddenly drop to a very low idle and almost immediately die. I had the fuel screw backed that far out because i thought it was lean due to the "hanging idle" but because theres no decel popping and the header does not glow red even in the dark, maybe its just way too rich??

My 2 stroke is not hard to jet correctly but this wr has way too many jets...

Ps. Im running stock airbox with no lid, yz400 header with stock wr400 pipe, valves in spec.

1421645197187.jpg

• Like 1

Been busy but i have done a little. AP mods, got a new fuel tank petcock, emig grip because my throttle tube was broken, still in the mail is the R&D remote fuel screw, front forks, entire front brake setup, couple new pilot jets.

1421956091372.jpg

1421956103734.jpg

1421956150963.jpg

Bike wont run long from that bottle...will create a vacuum as fuel level drops (unless you poke a hole in it).

Lol yeah i had a hole punched in the top of it but i already got rid of that.

Bike will not idle at all. I have played with the fuel screw with no change. Have idle turned all the way up. The AP mod cleared up the bog i had. Does the gray wire mod apply to the 98-99 wr400?