Hand Guard Preferance

I know alot of different riders have many different opinions on hand guards. I know the full bar hand guards are great for woods riding. But I've heard some people breaking wrists with those..? The leaf style won't break your wrist during a wrong get off but they won't do much when smacking a tree..

My question.

What's best for what, and is there anything I should consider when purchasing a set?

• Like 1

Yea just buy a set of Cycra pro bends and :ride:

YUK. I bend them like taffy.

Enduro Engineering makes a nice set, I have a couple of them. Moose and MSR are about the same, decent.

The 'leaf' guards you are referring to are called 'flag' handguards or 'roost' guards. The only keep roost and wind off your hands. The first tree you smack will crack your fingers like twigs. When you fall the levers will break unless you have 'unbreakable' levers which still break lol.

Typically the injuries you hear about with people breaking a wrist happen on the MX track. You'd want flag guards there. Some tracks won't allow wrap-arounds for this reason.

• Like 1

What do you normally ride?

I use them on all my dirt bikes and Supermoto bikes. Look in my garage. Just not the Hayabusa.

Enduro Engineering makes a nice set, I have a couple of them. Moose and MSR are about the same, decent.

The 'leaf' guards you are referring to are called 'flag' handguards or 'roost' guards. The only keep roost and wind off your hands. The first tree you smack will crack your fingers like twigs. When you fall the levers will break unless you have 'unbreakable' levers which still break lol.

Typically the injuries you hear about with people breaking a wrist happen on the MX track. You'd want flag guards there. Some tracks won't allow wrap-arounds for this reason.

Bend them ???? Broken brake levers ????? = Gorilla = Really really

Edited by stevethe

Gorilla

Let me back up a bit. When you take a look at the thinness and the curve of the Cycra compared to an EE guard it's easy to see. Clamping one in a vise to conform it to the bars, the Cycra bends really easy. You really have to lean on an EE to bend it.

I DO like them for an SM bike because of the slider on the ends. Going down on pavement doesn't usually dig the guard in and reef on it, they just get ground down. So yes, on a Supermoto I would happily run them.

Eventually you'll end up getting your wrist caught in full wraps. The Flags absorb a lot more of the impact too, so you don't bounce into a new dimension if you clip a tree.  They also help you in subconsciously avoiding trees as opposed to thinkings it okay if you clip one, which makes you way faster and smoother in the end. Alos, contrary to popular belief, you're not going to break fingers anymore than with full wraps. Even so, a broken pinkie is 100x better than a snapped wrist.  If you get a good set with good mounts you won't break them anymore than barred ones.

I use Acerbis X-Force or Vented Unkios. I used to use Cyrcra pro bends but after a few minor crashes they certainly were pro at bending. (HEYO)

Edited by BoxcarWilly

Eventually you'll end up getting your wrist caught in full wraps. The Flags absorb a lot more of the impact too, so you don't bounce into a new dimension if you clip a tree.  They also help you in subconsciously avoiding trees as opposed to thinkings it okay if you clip one, which makes you way faster and smoother in the end. Alos, contrary to popular belief, you're not going to break fingers anymore than with full wraps. Even so, a broken pinkie is 100x better than a snapped wrist.  If you get a good set with good mounts you won't break them anymore than barred ones.

I use Acerbis X-Force or Vented Unkios. I used to use Cyrcra pro bends but after a few minor crashes they certainly were pro at bending. (HEYO)

You're a master at sarcasm. 👍

I like the cycra probends as well.  The people who always talk about breaking their wrists makes me giggle.  Yes, you can get your hands stuck in them and potentially break your wrist but my question to them is "how often do you actually go over your bars or anything of the sort in which you'd be at risk for breaking?".  I've had the guards save breaking my fingers and hands more times than I've ever almost broken my wrist.  I had one instance where I went sort of sideways over my bars but i could feel my hand getting caught up, it took some maneuvering to sort of save my hand from getting complete annihilated...i just came out with a bruised and swollen pinky..again, the times they have saved me have greatly outweighed my vienna sausage bruised pinky finger and potential for wrist breaking.  just saying.  Countless trees have lost some skin due to my handguards and not the other way around..

• Like 5

+1 that!  EE make the best 👍

evo_parts2.jpg

• Like 2

Finally, someone posted this topic.

Is there a throttle tube with the (pre-cutout) for the aluminum bark busters. I have been anti-bark busters in the past. But getting older and wiser, having clutch perches, levers, throttle tubes destroyed.

Also, post some pics of whichever brand loyal does not matter of ones people like would be great.

Finally, someone posted this topic.

Is there a throttle tube with the (pre-cutout) for the aluminum bark busters. I have been anti-bark busters in the past. But getting older and wiser, having clutch perches, levers, throttle tubes destroyed.

Also, post some pics of whichever brand loyal does not matter of ones people like would be great.

The G2 throttle tubes have a cap on the end you just pop out.