Fuel Petcock Upgrade

Ok so today I ordered a Raptor Petcock assy. Part# 5LP-24500-01. I also picked up some 1/4" fuel line and was looking at getting an inline fuel filter. I know that the fuel line is metric however it's impossible to fine around here. So with some of the other threads I've seen. Which size tubing should I use 1/4 or 5/16? Once I figure that out I can order an inline filter. Anyone got any suggestions?

Take the petcock to a Pepboys/Audvance Auto and size up the right fuel line or stop by any 

small independent auto repair shops - they may have a some metric fuel line lying about.

I've never installed a fuel filter (but I am using a plastic fuel tank)  - never had a problem with

dirt/grit in the carb.

Gerry

Take the petcock to a Pepboys/Audvance Auto and size up the right fuel line or stop by any

small independent auto repair shops - they may have a some metric fuel line lying about.

I've never installed a fuel filter (but I am using a plastic fuel tank) - never had a problem with

dirt/grit in the carb.

Gerry

Well I have to wait for the new petcock to come in the mail. Plus no one around here has the inline filter so I have to order that as well. I already have to wait a week for the petcock so I'm trying to see what others have used as well.

Well I picked up some 1/4" but would 5/16" be better. I have taken the tank off quiet a bit mainly due to carb reject and tuning. I was also looking at adding an inline filter. Does anyone recommend that as well?

I did one, but it's sort of over kill.....for the money and time spent it was worth it to me. I've never had any issues, either before I had one, or after..... 😉

Well I picked up some 1/4" but would 5/16" be better. I have taken the tank off quiet a bit mainly due to carb reject and tuning. I was also looking at adding an inline filter. Does anyone recommend that as well?

Used to, till one leaked.  Now just rely on fuel valve screen.

• 1 month later...

does the fuel line clear the choke? im about to cancel my raptor petcock if it gets in the way of the choke..

does the fuel line clear the choke? im about to cancel my raptor petcock if it gets in the way of the choke..

Yeah it does,  its right by it,  but it clears it.   you have to get a long fuel line and wrap it from the top around the carb boot,  and back around the bottom and then connect it to the carb. 

Like Ron says, with stock tank (I have IMS 4 gal tank, so I can make direct shot to stock carb).  The other DRZ in garage has stock  tank, and that is what we did. Looks really clean too.  I was using in-lines in both bikes,  but raptor petcock makes it tough. I'm trusting my in tank tube screens as it's quite a small mesh. Plus, there is a screen/filter also in the carb on other side of float valve. My tanks are clean, and I'm running only ethanol free gas. 

I like the clear fuel line I get at oreillys auto parts in the small engine (like lawnmowers, etc) section. It's nice to see the fuel in the line, as opposed to black rubber. Perfect fit for raptor and carb nips. I also like the small clips I get at Wilco (other places have the also) instead of screw hose clamps. They hold tight, come off with pliers, look clean, and don't damage line by overtightening. 

Pretty sure below is what I got for fuel line. Think it's 1/4" ID, but it's not the heavy duty reinforced stuff, so easier to stretch on. Pushes right one, but fits nice and snug.

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-7-081522-Universal-Diameter/dp/B00HFLERBA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423767537&sr=8-2&keywords=prime+line+fuel+line

• Like 1

Raptor petcock, Clarke tank, 5/16 Motion Pro clear fuel line, fuel injection clamps, and a right angle fuel filter.  Has worked great for years.  No idea if it has protected me from anything, but I go ahead and put all sorts of crappy fuel in my bike and it keeps on hauling me around. 

Picture at the link:

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1074065-fuel-filters/?p=11443183

Edited by JoeMongo
  • Like 1

I replaced my oem for the raptor petcock and got a foot long line and went around the carb boot. I have not had any issues with my choke. It works flawlessly and I still have the stock metal tank. My biggest issue is forgetting to turn off the fuel!

Yeh, me too. I even out of habit now, turn it off when I stop to take a picture while out. Have taken off and started sputtering and laugh at myself....reach down and turn it back on and away I go.  hahaha, it's way overkill, but at least I've gotten into the habit.