Used 2008 KTM 250 xcf. things to look out for

Hi everyone,

I am about to see this guy's used KTM 2008 250xcf and wanted to ask you about the things I need to look out for. 

I've done some basic work on a motorcycle, like changing a chain, tires, wheel bearing but nothing major. What would you recommend to pay more attention when buying this bike?

And also do you think this bike will be a good choice for me since I ride trails only on crf230? I am 5'11" 160 lbs and I want to learn how to ride on a track too.

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,

I am about to see this guy's used KTM 2008 250xcf and wanted to ask you about the things I need to look out for. 

I've done some basic work on a motorcycle, like changing a chain, tires, wheel bearing but nothing major. What would you recommend to pay more attention when buying this bike?

And also do you think this bike will be a good choice for me since I ride trails only on crf230? I am 5'11" 160 lbs and I want to learn how to ride on a track too.

Thanks a lot!

When you go to see it make sure the engine is DEAD cold. Then see if it will start quickly. Do a basic check for oil, look at the coolant, check for seals for leaks, look at tires, chain, sprockets. Ask the guy if he has any service records. How often did he check the valve clearances, how often he changed the oil. Look at the air filter condition, etc.

When you go to see it make sure the engine is DEAD cold. Then see if it will start quickly. Do a basic check for oil, look at the coolant, check for seals for leaks, look at tires, chain, sprockets. Ask the guy if he has any service records. How often did he check the valve clearances, how often he changed the oil. Look at the air filter condition, etc.

Thanks a lot, man. 

How can I find out if the valves needs adjustment? I've also read that engine rebuild is a quote expensive thing. How will I know that engine needs to be rebuilt when seeing the bike?