Looking for feed back from someone thats just changed the rear spring

Hi Guys,

Now I have tried to search the form for the answer but only came up with this thread by racerandy

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1029204-new-rear-spring-for-rear-shock/?view=findpost&p=10828314

Firstly I'm 6'2" and 110kgs or 240lbs and I either need to sort the suspension on the CRF250L or get a new bike.

Yes I know there are plenty of threads on the GS-3 shock from Racetech and if I lived in the US I would just get this shock but I live in Australia so there are some issues with getting this.

Their is also a Hyperpro distributor in Australia who is also the YSS distributor for Australia unfortunately he is in Adelaide which is 2100km's from Brisbane.

Now there is a very respected dirt bike suspension shop near me called MPE suspension Paul has been around a very long time and has a very good reputation. I spoke with Paul yesterday and his advise was to get the Racetech front springs and valve and get a replacement spring for the standard shock he supplies Eibach springs. 

Paul said that the standard shock is able to be rebuilt because its not welded together and that the damping is ok its just that the bike is really under sprung. 

Paul tells me he has done the suspension this way on a number of CRF250L's and that the owners have been happy.

So I'm really interested to hear from somebody that has installed a different rate spring on to their original shock

Thanks in advance for your help

Tomo

• Like 1

I have the HyperPro rear progressive spring for my weight and style, made the rear a lot better, I'm sure a shock or valving will be much better but for $105 it was a viable upgrade!

Hockeyrick are you happy with the damping the stock shock offers with your new spring?

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Tom_o

Yes I know there are plenty of threads on the GS-3 shock from Racetech and if I lived in the US I would just get this shock but I live in Australia so there are some issues with getting this.

Hi Tomo, I'm really interested in this as well as i can't even get Racetech to reply to my emails.

Hi Tomo, I'm really interested in this as well as i can't even get Racetech to reply to my emails.

PM this member, RT_Chris448.  Here is a link to his user page where you can PM him from https://www.thumpertalk.com/user/346564-rt-chris448/

He works for Racetech in the US and will be able to help you out.  They just sold a remote reservoir shock to another member(Positron007) in Australia.

Have you sent an E-mail to chris@racetech.com here at the US location?  She can work with the other locations and handle your needs.

Hi MentalGuru

The only reason Racetech sold it to Positron was because he had some relatives in the US at the time that could collect the items. They want me to go through the Australian Distributor who's in Sydney.

quote name="MentalGuru" post="12132550" timestamp="1420959587"]PM this member, RT_Chris448. Here is a link to his user page where you can PM him from https://www.thumpertalk.com/user/346564-rt-chris448/

He works for Racetech in the US and will be able to help you out. They just sold a remote reservoir shock to another member(Positron007) in Australia.

Have you sent an E-mail to chris@racetech.com here at the US location? She can work with the other locations and handle your needs.

Edited by Tom_o

Hi ericace007

It took me a few emails as well to get Chris, they told me that because they had a distributor in Australia i needed to go through them. Which is fair enough you just don't get the TT discount and you pay the Aus price.

Walter from Hyperpro Australia in Adelaide said he could get the Hyperpo complete shock in if that is of interest.

Cheers

Tomo

No problem Ericace007

I think I'm going to get Paul at MPE do to the Eibach spring on my stock shock, I'll let you know how it goes. are you in Brisbane???

Cheers

Tomo

Thanks Tomo for that info at least i now know where i stand.

Edited by Tom_o

G'day jorgeo65

Yeah I don't know what to do, if I hadn't already spent money on a FMF / EJK / Sprokets etc I'd just get a new bike.

I thought for sure a few people on here would have replaced the spring on their standard shock.

I'm at the same crossroads, suspension upgrade or new bike, very interested to see how you go.

unfortunately everything costs us a lot more here in Aus.

Im pretty happy with my rear end!!! hahahaha

I dont race anymore but it does what I demand of it, now just fiddling with the linkage, like the guys do to lower, Im trying to raise-will get back after this is done!

But considering I spent $105 as compared to $700 as most shocks are for this bike and there are quite a few!!

Depends how much money u have and what you plan to do with it!!!

Thanks Hockeyrick

I appreciate the info. I think I'm going to try the rear spring only and see what it's like, I've found a suspension shop near me that says he can revalve the stock shock if need be.

I wont end up with any clickers for rebound and damping adjustment but I'm never going to do anything extreme on this thing anyway.

Cheers

Tomo

No problem Ericace007

I think I'm going to get Paul at MPE do to the Eibach spring on my stock shock, I'll let you know how it goes. are you in Brisbane???

Cheers

Tomo

I'm not as heavy as you (78kg) but I had to pillion a mate on the back and the bike was bloody terrible ie fricken shitting my pants riding at 80km/h, so at your weight a spring upgrade with correct sag should make a very noticeable improvement.

If at some point in the future you can afford the racetech shock it's worth the investment assuming you are keeping the bike for a few years.

• Like 2

G'day jorgeo65

Yeah I don't know what to do, if I hadn't already spent money on a FMF / EJK / Sprokets etc I'd just get a new bike.

I thought for sure a few people on here would have replaced the spring on their standard shock.

I cant justify dropping another grand on this bike on suspension, its the weight of this bike that puts me off. I have been looking at a KTM 250 exc, there's nothing like a 2 stroke powerband, and it only ways 100kg.

I'm thinking of putting all the stock gear back on and selling it, don't think I would get any extra with mods, it might even put some buyers off. should get a few bucks on EBay for my mods.

its a tuff decision, I love the LRP but I think I rushed into buying it, I just went on the looks of the bike, thinking it was mainly a dirt bike, should of done my homework A. 

• Like 1

I cant justify dropping another grand on this bike on suspension, its the weight of this bike that puts me off. I have been looking at a KTM 250 exc, there's nothing like a 2 stroke powerband, and it only ways 100kg.

I'm thinking of putting all the stock gear back on and selling it, don't think I would get any extra with mods, it might even put some buyers off. should get a few bucks on EBay for my mods.

its a tuff decision, I love the LRP but I think I rushed into buying it, I just went on the looks of the bike, thinking it was mainly a dirt bike, should of done my homework A. 

What a shame jorgeo65, yep should of done your homework first. Its a good dual sport bike not a true dirt bike or road bike but can be biased either way depending how much you want to spend.

I knew when i purchased mine that i wanted to mod it out, so it had to be second hand at a good price, i ended up getting mine for just over AU$5,000 only had done 680km, 5 months old, with 7 months rego, in mint condition which also included a brand new full Yoshi system, EJK and fender eliminator kit all that i had to fit myself, other than that i have purchased and fitted a radiator guard, barkbusters, pegs, Uni filter, grips, back sprocket, chain, lithium battery and a bit of bling and feel that the only thing left letting down the bike as a really good dual sporter is the suspension, so much so i really do think it is dangerous for the heavier folk as myself (90kg). The only 2 times i came off the bike was in the dirt going over ruts at fair speed the back end just gave out, solely due to its poor suspension.

• Like 2