Getting back into dual purpose biking,KLR vs.DR650......

Hi,folks.Steve 60 here,have not ridden for a few years,recovering from back surgery......My last bike was a 2008 KLR 650,I absolutely loved that bike.....Now,I am seriously considering returning to dual-purpose bike riding,and have been eyeing these DR 650 bikes.Same 650 single as Kawasaki,but air cooled vs.Kaw's water cooling.....Please,give me some reasons to purchase a DR,instead of a KLR....One big turn off for me on the KLR is that brouhaha over the cam chain tensioner,aka 'the doohickey'.Does the DR have the same kind of issue?All replies will be mulled over.Both bikes are about the same price,so convince me,DR over KLR.Steve60,thanx.......

• Like 1

The DR is about 75# lighter and has at least an inch more suspension travel, but with less wind protection on the highway.

Mine has been dead reliable for the last 35,000 miles.

as far as issues the suzuki version of the doohickie is the NSU screws, which must either be lock-tighted or safety wired in place to keep from falling out and destroying the engine.

It took me about an hour and I didn't have to buy so much as a new gasket to complete the fix.

there is a very large aftermarket for this bike to make it your own.

when my DR was new.

6pm_zpsf34483f7.jpg

most recent pic

sitampflyside_zpsd0ada108.jpg

and super moto mode

0420141641_zps27f022bf.jpg

one more because everybody like pictures

2013-10-05212247_zpsa7bab145.jpg

• Like 2

Got a DR650SE 2006 as well, the aftermarket selection is vast and they are rock solid reliable. They hold value really well, seen some that had 50,000 miles on them.

Seen a bunch of guys going through the town one day, from out of state on DR650's, they do have a big following. 

Great bike.

2006_Suzuki_DR650SE_zps2ab89199.jpg

Edited by ar2stroke

I've owned both. The KLR is a better street bike. The DR is a better dirt bike. There are far more performance upgrades for the DR, it's noticeably lighter and it takes a fall much better than the Kaw. The DR is my choice but I understand why some people who just want a comfortable dirt road bike prefer the KLR.

The DR is basically right in between the KLR650 and XR650L.  It is not as comfy on the road as the KLR, not as strong in the dirt as the XR, but it does both things respectably enough to get by.  The great thing is that, as mentioned, there are numerous mods, farkles, power ups, etc. that can make the bike into just about anything that you want.  IMO, it's the best true dual sport out there.  I miss mine.

Hi,folks.Steve 60 here,have not ridden for a few years,recovering from back surgery......My last bike was a 2008 KLR 650,I absolutely loved that bike.....Now,I am seriously considering returning to dual-purpose bike riding,and have been eyeing these DR 650 bikes.Same 650 single as Kawasaki,but air cooled vs.Kaw's water cooling.....Please,give me some reasons to purchase a DR,instead of a KLR....One big turn off for me on the KLR is that brouhaha over the cam chain tensioner,aka 'the doohickey'.Does the DR have the same kind of issue?All replies will be mulled over.Both bikes are about the same price,so convince me,DR over KLR.Steve60,thanx.......

Well, depending on how close you live to Grand Rapids I could let you take a spin on my DR (ummm, no stoppies or burn outs).  And then you'd at least have an idea on basic DR performance.

I had a 2000 Klr650 and put 71,000 mi on it. Crashed it and bought a new 2011 BMW 1200GS, I missed the light, smaller, easy to maintain, more fun to

ride cycle. Sold BMW and bought 2013 DR650 and enjoy it. Better for my riding then the BMW and I like DR650 as much or more then the KLR and I loved that bike.

Depends on what you want.

My brother had an older KLR650 a while back.  I liked it and thought it was a good bike.  However, I like the DR650 better.  Mainly bc it is quite a bit lighter.  Though you have to buy a larger aftermarket tank, wind screen, ect... for it to match the KLR's ability at highway riding.

• Like 1