Pro Taper triple clamp problem- 05 kx250

About 4 years ago I bought Protaper triple clamps off ebay for a 100 bucks.  bought them for the bling. They were brand new with the stem and bearing pre installed. After installation i noticed an increase in fork stiction. I tried adjusting right fork a bunch of times but could not get rid of the stiction but I rode it anyway and trashed the forks.

It seems the clamps were not machined properly and the forks are not perfectly parallel causing them to bind. I had no problems with the oem clamps and they were not over tightened.

Anybody use these and have the same problem? Thanks

A factory fubar that should have been scrapped before they ever left the building. But somehow (and who knows how) they made their way out onto the market and eBay. Another one of those cases of "too good to be true probably is". $100 for a brand new $400 clamp set should have been a red flag..

Is this fact, or an assumption based on the price I payed?  If fact, i will switch back to oem and scrap the protapers.

I bought Protaper triple clamps off ebay for a 100 bucks. They were brand new with the stem and bearing pre installed. It seems the clamps were not machined properly and the forks are not perfectly parallel causing them to bind.

Is this fact, or an assumption based on the price I payed?

Brand new clamps not machined properly should have been rejected and scrapped by the manufacturer quality control at the end of the assembly line. But some how the set of defective clamps made their way onto eBay for $100. Think about it, they're brand new, and go for $400-$450 on places like MotoSport and BTO, but are on eBay for 1/4 that price, 4 years ago when Pro Taper still carried them (they're discontinued now), umm.

Like I said, too good (or cheap) to be true, probably is.. 

Pro Taper makes great stuff, I've used several of their bars and various styles of bar clamps through the years, everything perfect. Same story from countless other people I know and ride with. Somebody that works at Pro Taper likely pulled the set you got out of the scrap bin and pedaled them on eBay knowing someone would jump on the "good deal". It happens, feedback and all, eBay is still a "buyer beware" market...

I assumed cheap price was because they were discontinued. They were shipped from within the states.  I think they did come with the colored elastomers. Does that mean there a knockoff?  I still have the box. will have to check. 

Edited by blackie107

Have you swapped back to the stock clamps to fix the sticktion problem?

A couple things you can do is eliminate the fork alignment by removing the front wheel completely and placing the forks on some blocks.  Push down on the front end and see if you still feel the sticktion.  If not, it may be your front wheel installation or bent axle, etc.

Try this method for installing the front wheel:  http://www.moto-pro.com/files/shoptips/front_axle_alignment.pdf

Also, if the inner chamber was not bled properly you can get a symptom like that.

Edited by Jeekinz

Have you had them off the bike and gone over them to make sure it is a tolerance issue and not something else?  Have you contacted Pro taper? They may be able to help you, so it's worth a shot.

Are the fork tubes damaged or bent before hand causing your issues? Take any big crashes?

First of all, Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post!!

I had no problems at all before installing the new clamps nor did I ever crash it that hard.  I have owned four other kx250's, four crf450's and three ktm's prior to this one and never had any issues like this. I'm positive this problem is not due to my setup (been at this game for a very long time). I could kick myself in the butt for riding it, knowing there was an issue, but whats done is done. I am going to get in touch with Protaper and see what they say. I do think the protapers are defective in some way. Going to put the oem's back on with a new (used) set of forks and see how they feel. The bike still has the studded tires on it from last year and I need to ride. Thanks, Brian

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Blackie107, what have you found out from pro taper? I am curious as i also have a kx250 and found a top clamp on ebay for $40 for my bike from pro taper, the super stock version, p-3, and rubber mount and i need to find out which 1 to stay away from, this is just for the top set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-Taper-Superstock-Triple-Mount-Kit-For-Kawasaki-KX250-2006-Dirtbike/261604897783?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Da811d9ce4f1e48dbb6ba8e9683f20cf8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261604875880&rt=nc

Measure the forks with a micrometer where the triple trees go and bring the triple trees to a machine shop and get them to run them thru with the size you give them

yea, that wont cost more than the triple calmps themselves or anything. nor would that work.

OP, do you know in which plane or direction they arnt parrallel?

Edited by hi_im_sean

The clamps themselves are out of true in probably 2 or 3 axes. There is no fixing them. Maybe besides several 1000s in machine work, but for that kind of money you could get a whole front end from ohlins. Keep them for evidence but never use them again.