Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - ENTER NOW! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

1991 DR350S Carb dumping gas out drain

So I went out riding yesterday and after bogging down and stalling it on a climb I notice fuel just pissing out the drain on the carb.  The drain screw was plenty tight but it didn't seem to matter.  The bike would not kick over, had to push it up a hill twice and push start it to finally get her going. About 7 miles later the bike starts to sputter like its not getting any fuel so I think I'm all out, turn it the reserve tank but it dies. Turns out  I still had  3 gallons in it.  A few kicks later and I'm up and runnign and make it to the truck without further incidence and.....it's not leaking out the drain anymore.

What gives? I hear there is an oring on the drain screw but I haven't been able to spot one in the rebuild kit listing?

I was told the carb was rebuilt when I pruchased the bike. I maybe have 400 miles on it since. I don't feel like I should be running into problems. Should I just go ahead and rebuild the whole thing? just new o-rings or should I do the whole thing, stock jet and all?

Can someone point out the proper kit. I see to many of these out there and have messed up other purchases already.

Thx

Joseph

Well, you may not see similar issues for a while again. I believe it was some kind of dirt stuck in needle valve in the carb, won't let it (the valve) to close properly, thus the bogging caused by flooding (yes, it will piss out even your drain screw is tight. It is normal. Why? If you disassemble your carb, you will see it. I won't explain, my English is little limited for that purpose). Seen that before on mine bikes, and the symptoms are exactly the same. Usually it takes some gas to flush that nasty bugger out, and after that carb works fine. May be stuck float, too, but way less likely. If i have this problem, I would clean my gas tank, or at least make sure it's clean. Inline fuel filter would be helpful, too. BTW, I just rebuilt my carb, it took about 2 hours with no rush, i used http://www.ebay.com/itm/351040989835?item=351040989835&viewitem=&vxp=mtrkit. I have dr250, year 1992, but they say it works on dr350, too. Cheap, easy, and I learned some things in process. By writing this, I just share may opinion and experience of 30 years of motorcycling, I not consider myself as an "expert" by any means.

So I hadn't rebuilt my carb but it naturally just stopped dumping out gas so I kind of figured it was okay and took it out for another ride. Shortly in it just started dumping out fuel again so I get home shut off the bike and try to let it drain but alas there is no luck in that. I pulled the drain plug cleaned it and there was a little bit of dirt or some kind of stuff on it, close it back up and it stopped and then it started pouring out gas again. At this point I realized I need to shut off the fuel but had no way to do that and then thought that my petcock might be bad. I pulled my fuel line and gas just kept coming out of the fuel line with the petcock turned on. Note this is a stock petcock with no cut off, only on, prime, reserve. Does this mean that my petcock is bad and I need to get a new one or rebuild this one?

In addition it sounds like I might need to rebuild my carb as well? Or should I just stick to the petcock.

Oh and I only started having this issue when I put on a Clark tank with a petcock in unknown condition. Stock tank worked great.

Edited by joebmx

So I hadn't rebuilt my carb but it naturally just stopped dumping out gas so I kind of figured it was okay and took it out for another ride. Shortly in it just started dumping out fuel again so I get home shut off the bike and try to let it drain but alas there is no luck in that. I pulled the drain plug cleaned it and there was a little bit of dirt or some kind of stuff on it, close it back up and it stopped and then it started pouring out gas again. At this point I realized I need to shut off the fuel but had no way to do that and then thought that my petcock might be bad. I pulled my fuel line and gas just kept coming out of the fuel line with the petcock turned on. Note this is a stock petcock with no cut off, only on, prime, reserve. Does this mean that my petcock is bad and I need to get a new one or rebuild this one?

In addition it sounds like I might need to rebuild my carb as well? Or should I just stick to the petcock.

Oh and I only started having this issue when I put on a Clark tank with a petcock in unknown condition. Stock tank worked great.

Well, I would clean tank very very throughly (take the petcock off when you do it), nobody knows what's in it (actually sounds like alot of junk in it). Since you say the old tank and petcock was working great, put petcock from your old tank, if you still have it. If not, check it, clean it, or replace it. Since there may be some junk in the carb bowl, I guess, take it off and clean it, too. And, since the carb bowl will be off, just pull off and inspect valve seat, and if it's worn, replace it.

Well, this is almost step-by-step process I did to my $900 1992 Craigslist dr250s. When I got mine, it had a MAJOR fuel leak, and major oil leak (clutch cover gasket bad). The only difference is that I rebuilt the carb and replaced the petcock right away (I have "on", "reserve", and "off" only now, no vacuum activated junk). Now mine has no fuel leaks whatsoever. Left my petcock in "on" position accidently overnight  couple days ago, no fuel puddle, no empty gas tank in my garage next morning.