Tomac and Roczen

Tomac's scary fast when he's on.   That last pass got Roczen out of his rhythm, and he was immediately gapped by nearly 2 seconds.   I think he decided he'd rather live to fight another day.   Like he said afterward:  "I'll take a podium any day". 

After two rounds, he's 9 points ahead of #2 (Dungy).   He'll win the easy ones and podium the tough ones.   That beats a crash and DNF/13th place any time. 

• Like 2

That battle was pretty good. I thought Roczen had it secured until the end of the battle. I personally don't like Tomac. There's just something about him.

What did you guys think of the battle? What happened with Roczen?

What happened is Tomac is a better athlete. He can just.hit stuff harder than anyone else, and not get tired.

• Like 2

What happened is Tomac is a better athlete. He can just.hit stuff harder than anyone else, and not get tired.

It has to be coupled with the hunger and competence to perform at a level higher than the rest...

otherwise MA800 would be running upfront.  Tomac is fun to watch whether coming up through the pack or running up front. 

• Like 1

Agreed.

KR's strength is he has great focus and racing sense. If ET is in the mix with KR and can stay focused he probably beats him. Either that or ET loses focus and finishes 20th. ET's team even signalled a "focus" message once he was in the lead I think.

I personally don't like Tomac. There's just something about him.

Watch some videos about Eli. Kid does come from money but he is a damn hard worker and a good role model for kids. He's very hard on himself and rarely makes excuses about his bike, can't say that about all riders...

• Like 3

Agreed.

KR's strength is he has great focus and racing sense. If ET is in the mix with KR and can stay focused he probably beats him. Either that or ET loses focus and finishes 20th. ET's team even signalled a "focus" message once he was in the lead I think.

This.  And just after his went by the mechanic's area when they had "focus" on the board he made a really bad mistake, casing a jump, and let Roczen back in it.  I thought we were going to see another battle but  I don't think Roczen had anything left to push hard to make the pass.  

He's been the fastest qualifier both races so far, and has done well in the heats.  He definitely has the speed, we'll see if he has the consistency to come back.  Tomac has already had some adversity, so he'll need to stay consistent to chip away at Roczen's lead.

Roczen has been fast (enough), and has been getting great starts. 

There are definitely a number of guys that have pretty good speed, so starts and not having too many bad rounds will be the key this year.  I don't see anyone who can dominate like Villopoto could that will be able to come back and win 10 races this year, so consistency might be the key.

He's already down a complete race worth of points. He's going to need a lot of help that's out of his hands to win it.

Right but, this is SX   (Cue 300:   "This is Supa Crosssss!")   Point being that there is a LONG way to go and it's certainly the done thing that guys in KR's position have been able to 'run out the clock' so to speak, win often, hardly ever not podium and just not be 'catchable' for a guy that far back....BUT, crashes, bad starts, injuries. And, of course, that said, it would take some bad races, bad luck for KR along with some amazing consistency for ET.

In any event, it's weird with no Villopoto or Stewart but, that's racing. It waits for no one. Just glad to watch some racing...we'll see where we are in a month or so.

I loved Dungey's interview.  sounds like those of us that are kickin him for not being aggressive is getting to him.  He always tries to just survive the west races with the hard pack dirt.  He knows his strength is on the eastern tracks where it's softer dirt that get's really rutted.  If he can be close when they get there he probably feels he can win it. 

• Like 1

Right but, this is SX   (Cue 300:   "This is Supa Crosssss!")   Point being that there is a LONG way to go and it's certainly the done thing that guys in KR's position have been able to 'run out the clock' so to speak, win often, hardly ever not podium and just not be 'catchable' for a guy that far back....BUT, crashes, bad starts, injuries. And, of course, that said, it would take some bad races, bad luck for KR along with some amazing consistency for ET.

In any event, it's weird with no Villopoto or Stewart but, that's racing. It waits for no one. Just glad to watch some racing...we'll see where we are in a month or so.

Exactly, like I said, he would need some help from the other racers, which is out of his hands.

I loved Dungey's interview.  sounds like those of us that are kickin him for not being aggressive is getting to him.  He always tries to just survive the west races with the hard pack dirt.  He knows his strength is on the eastern tracks where it's softer dirt that get's really rutted.  If he can be close when they get there he probably feels he can win it. 

I noticed that.  I wish he hadn't gone there.  It was hard to watch, and he even caught himself in the middle of the rant and squelched it pretty quickly. 

Note to Dungey:  Don't blame the fans.

Contrast that with the Roczen interview:  "Everything's great.  I'll take a podium any day"

Note to Dungey:  Don't blame the fans.

Exactly.  No one is criticizing Mike Alessi for not being able to pass, because he doesn't have that kind of speed.  For a guy who has a supercross title though, he should be able to pass a middle-of-the-pack rider in less than two laps. 

It's kind of like Romo coming out and saying, "Yeah, I got four interceptions, but let's see the average guy try to come out here and do this."  We're not saying that we wouldn't get four interceptions, we're saying 'you' shouldn't.