New(ish) Rider - 02 WR250F

Hi everyone,

After a 20 year break I went out on the weekend and bought my oldest son his first bike ('15 CRF110F) and picked myself up a 2002 WR250F so I can ride with him. We haven't taken them out yet, I just ordered all my gear and should have it for the weekend so fingers crossed I can try it out.

The bike is very clean and has some aftermarket stuff done, Renthal Fatbars & FMF Powercore 4 muffler, not sure if the "free mods" have been done but I think I will take it out and get used to it as is before trying to get more out of it.

Been browsing the forums since the weekend since I need to learn some of the maintenance procedures and stuff, lots of great people with tons of knowledge on here, thanks for that 👍 (from all us newbs) 

Anyways here are some pics,

IMG_20150111_142405_zpsdba7a74d.jpg

IMG_20150111_142517_zps25ca8da9.jpgIMG_20150111_142455_zps643bbe1f.jpg

IMG_20150111_142603_zpsdec0d34b.jpg

wow! looks like new!!!

I too just bought an '06 after a twenty year hiatus, that puts me at 65 and man am I slow!!!not to mention I can barely throw my leg over it! hope you have better luck than I've had! 🙄

Son gets the new bike and the old man takes the old one. That's a great dad.  👍

The easiest free mod to check is snorkel removal. Take the seat off and see if the snorkel is still there.

Save this link for when you get around to the grey wire mod ... it's the best video out there >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WNI3aKrzR0

Whoever sold you that bike did one heck of a detail job.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

So we took the bikes out last weekend, can't believe I waited so long to get another bike. My WR250F ran really well except for a bog if you try and crack the throttle. We are going out again tomorrow so I checked the bike out to see what free mods were done. It already has a FMF Powercore 4 muffler, the airbox lid removed and the YZ throttle stop but did not have the gray wire mod done. So I disconnected the gray wire and guess I will find out tomorrow what difference it makes.

Bcboy, I'm in the same boat, picked up a 06 to ride as I teach my 7 yr old.

My bike was also super clean like yours, but I had the same issue on going wide open on the throttle, it bogged down. I would have to downshift, give a little gas slowly, then it would " catch" and take off...

Hopefully some gurus have some insight for us old ass noobs...

Be safe and have fun...

Bcboy, I'm in the same boat, picked up a 06 to ride as I teach my 7 yr old.

My bike was also super clean like yours, but I had the same issue on going wide open on the throttle, it bogged down. I would have to downshift, give a little gas slowly, then it would " catch" and take off...

Hopefully some gurus have some insight for us old ass noobs...

Be safe and have fun...

That's great, hopefully you and your son are having as much fun riding as we are.

If I roll on the throttle it pulls great throughout the rpm range but if I try and blip the gas to get the front end over an obstacle it bogs.

I have read this is likely caused by the AP timing being out and the lean jet being too large. I feel a bit over my head trying to fix it so I asked a guy at work to see if his brother does any work on the side (he is a bike mechanic at the dealer where I bought the bikes). Hoping he can fix the bog as well as show me the procedure for checking the valves.

First, visually look at the AP nozzle when opening the throttle to see if any fuel squirts out of it in the first place.

This passage can get clogged like any other in the carburetor if the bike sits around with stale fuel in it.

That's the down side with carburetors - small passages becoming clogged with stale fuel.

However, same can happen with fuel injectors, too, maybe just not as often-heard.

I have found out from experience that you can still ride the bike if this is clogged, but the bike will not respond properly.

I'd check this on any used dirt bike I had just bought.

Actually, the whole carb would be out and on the bench.

If you didn't get it from the guy you bought the bike from, order a copy of the genuine Yamaha Owner's Service Manual for the WR250FP.

If you want to learn how to care for your bike, you NEED this book.

Edited by YZEtc

Bcboy, you too... Be safe out there. I already found out wrecking hurts more as an old guy...

YZ, thanks for the info... Just learning what an AP is... Stuff like that was over my head as a teenager with a bike, got to learn new tricks. Carb will come off when I can find some time... Will look into the manual.

Quick question... Will the 2002 manual work for a 2006? That's what I found on Google (downloadable, didn't see hard copy for sale yet)

There are some differences on 2002 vs. 2006, so it won't be perfect.

It may be better than none for some parts of the bike, but I recommend the correct one, especially if you are learning the basics about this stuff.

Edited by YZEtc

First, visually look at the AP nozzle when opening the throttle to see if any fuel squirts out of it in the first place.

This passage can get clogged like any other in the carburetor if the bike sits around with stale fuel in it.

That's the down side with carburetors - small passages becoming clogged with stale fuel.

However, same can happen with fuel injectors, too, maybe just not as often-heard.

I have found out from experience that you can still ride the bike if this is clogged, but the bike will not respond properly.

I'd check this on any used dirt bike I had just bought.

Actually, the whole carb would be out and on the bench.

If you didn't get it from the guy you bought the bike from, order a copy of the genuine Yamaha Owner's Service Manual for the WR250FP.

If you want to learn how to care for your bike, you NEED this book.

I did not get a copy of the manual but I did find one for download online so I have it. I am going to try and pull the carb off this week and take a look at it.

Bcboy, you too... Be safe out there. I already found out wrecking hurts more as an old guy...

YZ, thanks for the info... Just learning what an AP is... Stuff like that was over my head as a teenager with a bike, got to learn new tricks. Carb will come off when I can find some time... Will look into the manual.

I hear you, I am sore today. I ended my riding day yesterday by going over my handlebars. Luckily there was 2' of nice cold water to break my fall lol, that was a cold ride back to the truck.

• Like 1