hawaiidirtrider

Clake? ..worth getting?

not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling as a perspective customer...

It's not giving me a positive feeling either because inevitably, I'll need parts.

It's not giving me a positive feeling either because inevitably, I'll need parts.

it seems they have the potential for a lot of sales, Clake seems to be one of the best options available for LHRB.  Let's hope they can keep with demand, and increase the customer service.  They are really going to need a US distributor to stock product.  for now the option is waiting, or keep expensive spares in their own stock.

• Like 1

An update, I finally got frustrated enough to call Clake on the phone. I spoke with Owen and vented a bit. He was extremely apologetic and went through some of the issues they have been having with their outside vendors such as anodizing and the seal manufacturers. I told him that I was already aware of this being an avid dirtbiking forum member, that Barry Morris had passed on their message. And that I was sympathetic but that three months had gone by since my payment and that it was time to shit or get off the pot. Also that they had not responded to email, thus the intrusive phone call. He readily agreed to refund my money but at length, promised that my unit would get priority and that he would get it out the door on Monday.

I am one of those people who would rather suffer in silence and complain later of poor restaurant service rather than bitch before my food arrives. And this situation has the same feel to it. Hopefully Owen doesn't spit in my Clake. He does seem like a really nice guy.

• Like 2

I guess without wanting to put a downer on it,will the quality control be there? Problems with outside suppliers leaves you vulnerable to issues

Wow! What a bummer! I have my Rekluse LHRB dialed in really well. I'm sure it's not as solid feeling as the Clake. But it gets the job done on the nasty downhills when I need it. I really hope it works out for you.

• Like 2

glad you got in touch with him, I'm the same way with restaurants...it has to get really bad before I say something....outside supplier problems aside, I'm sure a little communication would have gone a long way.

I hope you get your Clake soon and enjoy the crap out of it!  that is a long time to wait.

I have been exploring all the options and so far the Clake looks like one of the best asside from getting it.  and I'm a Rekluse dealer.  still I may give the Rekluse a try to see if I can get used to the LHRB.  I spoke to Joe over at Rekluse the other day and he said his LHRB works excellent (dual control) but admited that he upgraded with MC to the Hayes Prime unit and Rekluse may start offering the Prime as an upgrade option.

in my case I'm somewhat interested in removing the the pedal all together as I've always been a brake dragger which forces me to run the pedal very low which makes operating the rear brake while standing much harder...result:  I sit far too much.

I actually have a whole LHRB setup from my old crf 450x including Magura 9.5 MC, short line for dual setup to honda (nissin) mc, with the sleeve\insert as well as long line to eliminate the foot pedal all together (both stainless braided lines)  

the only thing stopping me from trying this setup is bar space...I would have to loose the clutch lever and I'm one of the people who use it all the time. also the mc sleeve/insert is for the honda style nissin mc, my beta uses the newer style nissin.

If anyone is interested I may part with this LHRB setup.

• Like 2

I guess without wanting to put a downer on it,will the quality control be there? Problems with outside suppliers leaves you vulnerable to issues

the quality control will definitely be there... i got mine last year before demand went ballistic, so they had time to give me a tour of their little factory. they are obsessed with quality control so make almost everything in house, even those fancy looking levers. they reckon they could drop the price substantially by outsourcing on more of the parts but just don't trust anyone else to do it. and having seen the intricate design of it all i'd say that's a good thing in the long run.

i rang the guys recently and politely suggested they really need to get on the ball in terms of answering emails sooner and letting customers know they are totally snowed under and try to give realistic time frames for delivery. owen completely agreed but also sounded very stressed and i think he's just working his arse off trying to meet the orders and letting the communications suffer as a result. 

the good news? apparently they are getting on top of it all now so hopefully it'll be all sorted soon. they were actually known for extremely rapid responses to enquiries and problems when just doing a handful of local sales in australia last year.

• Like 3

the quality control will definitely be there... i got mine last year before demand went ballistic, so they had time to give me a tour of their little factory. they are obsessed with quality control so make almost everything in house, even those fancy looking levers. they reckon they could drop the price substantially by outsourcing on more of the parts but just don't trust anyone else to do it. and having seen the intricate design of it all i'd say that's a good thing in the long run.

i rang the guys recently and politely suggested they really need to get on the ball in terms of answering emails sooner and letting customers know they are totally snowed under and try to give realistic time frames for delivery. owen completely agreed but also sounded very stressed and i think he's just working his arse off trying to meet the orders and letting the communications suffer as a result. 

the good news? apparently they are getting on top of it all now so hopefully it'll be all sorted soon. they were actually known for extremely rapid responses to enquiries and problems when just doing a handful of local sales in australia last year.

That was my feeling from talking to him as well. He seems like an intelligent and friendly guy who is stressed out to the breaking point. I desperately wanted to give him some advice but he was obviously focused on mollifying me so he could continue with his work. Plus I called at lunchtime :devil:. I actually felt bad after talking to him. I could tell that he felt terrible about how I had been treated. He apologized a lot and I got the feeling that I wasn't the only one he had gone through this with that day.

#1. I would have advised him to hire one of is guy's wives and put them to work answering the phone and replying to emails. Give them a list of who's unit will be shipped in what order so that they can give an ETA. I couldn't believe I got the man himself fielding calls. He has more important things to do than holding the hand of an anxious customer. I didn't need to talk to him anyway. Just someone to relay a message and get back to me would have been fine.

#2. There have to be a ton of top quality machine shops in Melbourne. Hire as many as needed with a newer 4-axis and put them to work. Have checking templates made for quality control and treat quality like the most precious thing. Same thing with hoses. There are quality braided hose makers all over the place. Any other parts, same thing.

#3. Have your guys doing nothing but assembling. Have a kid do the crating.

#4. Sign up a U.S. and if needed, European distributor. I'd like that a lot more than phoning across the globe with an issue and shipping a part the same way.

But above all else, get these things out the door! This kind of customer service absolutely kills small businesses. I'd like to see a great company grow into a great, big company but servicing customers has got to be part of the equation. No matter how much I like this thing, the hassle of obtaining it is going to be a part of the story.

Clake could easily specialize in unique bike accessories if given a chance to grow. Eventually they will satisfy the demand for special brake hydraulics and the money will dry up. They have shown some great and unique innovations. No reason not to continue that. Poor customer service sure could, though.

I have dealt with many of these small enthusiast shops during my riding addiction. I currently am trying to schedule some porting work and dyno time for my Banshee with a great local builder.  Sure enough, I have left two messages in the last week trying to get a slot. I'll probably have to drive across town and grab him by the lapels to get some attention...

i'm a dealer for rekluse, and I'm thinking of trying this as well.  If I was sure I could get the Clake in a reasonable time frame I'de probably pony up the extra $$ for that first.  It seems the SLR would be a good option and the price isn't bad considering the workmanship, but given the backlog I'm leaning Rekluse.

• Like 1

i'm a dealer for rekluse, and I'm thinking of trying this as well.  If I was sure I could get the Clake in a reasonable time frame I'de probably pony up the extra $$ for that first.  It seems the SLR would be a good option and the price isn't bad considering the workmanship, but given the backlog I'm leaning Rekluse.

And the good news is they work really well! BTW thanks for the heads up on the Hayes upgrade to "Prime Expert". I just replaced the worn out pivot pin on my Trail model. When it finally wears out I'll upgrade.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/products/brakes/prime/

The actual expensive part is the sleeve. I think I posted on a thread a while back when my brake line blew off the lever I was still able to complete my ride. Rear brake worked like a charm to finish out ride. Here it is:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1083957-lhrb-warning/?hl=rekluse+brake#entry11595849

Edited by ballisticexchris

hopefully the prime will accept your rekluse stroker gaskets to give you some more fluid ....I found a company called smokn that makes a complete kit with the prime/spacer and a braided line

they sell on ebay for about the same price as the rekluse kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-250-300-350-400-450-498-RR-Extreme-Enduro-Left-Hand-Rear-Brake-Kit-Stage-1-/151387889536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233f6bdf80

• Like 1

hopefully the prime will accept your rekluse stroker gaskets to give you some more fluid ....I found a company called smokn that makes a complete kit with the prime/spacer and a braided line

they sell on ebay for about the same price as the rekluse kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-250-300-350-400-450-498-RR-Extreme-Enduro-Left-Hand-Rear-Brake-Kit-Stage-1-/151387889536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233f6bdf80

You were reading my mind on the spacer! Great info and thanks for the link. If anything, I'm sure I could get some material and make a spacer.

That was my feeling from talking to him as well. He seems like an intelligent and friendly guy who is stressed out to the breaking point. I desperately wanted to give him some advice but he was obviously focused on mollifying me so he could continue with his work. Plus I called at lunchtime :devil:. I actually felt bad after talking to him. I could tell that he felt terrible about how I had been treated. He apologized a lot and I got the feeling that I wasn't the only one he had gone through this with that day.

#1. I would have advised him to hire one of is guy's wives and put them to work answering the phone and replying to emails. Give them a list of who's unit will be shipped in what order so that they can give an ETA. I couldn't believe I got the man himself fielding calls. He has more important things to do than holding the hand of an anxious customer. I didn't need to talk to him anyway. Just someone to relay a message and get back to me would have been fine.

#2. There have to be a ton of top quality machine shops in Melbourne. Hire as many as needed with a newer 4-axis and put them to work. Have checking templates made for quality control and treat quality like the most precious thing. Same thing with hoses. There are quality braided hose makers all over the place. Any other parts, same thing.

#3. Have your guys doing nothing but assembling. Have a kid do the crating.

#4. Sign up a U.S. and if needed, European distributor. I'd like that a lot more than phoning across the globe with an issue and shipping a part the same way.

But above all else, get these things out the door! This kind of customer service absolutely kills small businesses. I'd like to see a great company grow into a great, big company but servicing customers has got to be part of the equation. No matter how much I like this thing, the hassle of obtaining it is going to be a part of the story.

Clake could easily specialize in unique bike accessories if given a chance to grow. Eventually they will satisfy the demand for special brake hydraulics and the money will dry up. They have shown some great and unique innovations. No reason not to continue that. Poor customer service sure could, though.

I have dealt with many of these small enthusiast shops during my riding addiction. I currently am trying to schedule some porting work and dyno time for my Banshee with a great local builder.  Sure enough, I have left two messages in the last week trying to get a slot. I'll probably have to drive across town and grab him by the lapels to get some attention...

any updates?  I finally got an email back from him tonight, he should have the slr in stock next week.

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom

any updates?  I finally got an email back from him tonight, he should have the slr in stock next week.

No updates. It was to have shipped airmail the previous Monday.

I was excited when I got home from work today with an appropriately-sized package on the doorstep but it was a set of handguards.

Dammit.

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 1

No updates. It was to have shipped airmail the previous Monday.

I was excited when I got home from work today with an appropriately-sized package on the doorstep but it was a set of handguards.

Dammit.

I'm excited for you getting that product. 

I'm excited for you getting that product.

Thanks, me too! If it ever gets here, that is.

I just got a set of Flexx bars installed after years of hearing about them and a big ride coming up this weekend. I'm excited to see if they work as advertised. In a way it's good because one new thing at a time is the best way to evaluate.

awesome, can't wait to hear how it goes... and those flexx bars too. thinking of getting some of those to help deal with a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome.