hawaiidirtrider

Clake? ..worth getting?

awesome, can't wait to hear how it goes... and those flexx bars too. thinking of getting some of those to help deal with a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome.

I rode the Flexx bars last weekend. Didn't get the expected long ride but instead 20 miles of hard hillclimbs until heat exhaustion reared it's ugly head. The short ride with the bars sold me on them though. I get a bit of tennis elbow after a ride in both arms and the Flexx bars completely prevented it. They made the front suspension feel like butter.

The trick with them is to buy the handguards to match, a typical handguards won't bolt up. I opted for the Cycras even though I haven't had good luck with them in the past due to ease of installation. So far, so good.

BRP pivoting mounts are the way to go, then use any handguard you wish.

I'll be getting a set of those. I am generally anti-Cycra and love my EE's.

I needed something quick that was a sure fit but yes, have bought several BRP products before and they are top notch. Their mounts are on the short list.

• Like 1

I'll be getting a set of those. I am generally anti-Cycra and love my EE's.

I needed something quick that was a sure fit but yes, have bought several BRP products before and they are top notch. Their mounts are on the short list.

Another option are the Kudla Connection mounts. http://www.fasstco.com/product/kudla-connection

It's what I use and a lot cheaper than the BRP mounts.

100_4342_zps288086c3.jpg

100_4339_zpsb4b7af4c.jpg

I've been thinking of putting on my old Cycra guards just because the EE ones don't cover my front Brake. OTOH the Beta OEM EE guards don't bend like a pretzel every time you drop the bike.

100_0391_zpshnhajxi9.jpg

Not to worry, I got the new ARC Composite lever last week. Damn thing is bullet proof!!

• Like 3

Thanks for the input, Chris.

Once I get the Clake mounted up I'll see which of the four guards I have that seems to have the best coverage. Those levers should never have less than the best protection. They are the most intricate pieces of machining art I have seen in a long time.

two of us opted for the fastway handguards as they provided plenty of room for the clake 2 in my case, and the clake one light clutch for aaron's kato. very strong, as aaron proved by ramming a tree last weekend and i found him and his bike several yards past the tree in different directions. he's got version 1 which actually come with mounting plate to go on top of the triple clamps, mine were version 2.

http://www.promotobillet.com/p-22569-hand-guards.html

An update: Installed the Clake and was VERY impressed with fit and finish. It's truly a thing of beauty. The supplied lines are extra-plenty long enough for even a wide, tall handlebar on the tallest risers.  

Unfortunately, the installation wasn't all roses. The retained stock clutch line is marginally too short with the Clake on my bar setup and due to its closer fitment to the bar it is a very near thing at full lock.

The next issue was fitment to the Flexx bar. The Clake fits very snugly up against the bar with not much offset. This causes it to come up against the swell of the bar mountings and puts the clutch cable hard into the pivoting crossbar bushings. After some careful grinding I got it to sit at a reasonable angle and (almost) enough distance from the grip although the line is forced into kind of an alarming angle. The supplied lines all fit beautifully with nice offsets at the ends where needed.

Bleeding was a chore. I say that lightly because I was at it for probably six hours and I'm no novice a bleeding motorcycle brakes. I used every trick in the book including tapping with rubber mallet to free bubbles, removing and inverting components and cracking banjos as well as bleeders. The small master and slave ends combined with long distances made a vacuum bleeder a necessity and even then, one tiny bubble is enough to screw up lever pull distances.

It did fit under the Cycra handguards with only small tweaks needed.

So, on to lever adjusting. The overlap is wrong. The brake lever works and the clutch lever works and they are bled to a fair thee well. But pulling back the brake doesn't give enough travel to disengage the clutch. The Clake came with three extra cams to adjust the lever profiles. Unfortunately, two of the three were the same as already installed in the Clake. The different one was for the brake side and not much different.

The website is down and no helpful videos on youtube found.

So as of now, I'm dead in the water.

Edited by sandlvr69

^^^^^^^ not what you wanna read, here's hoping the cams don't take as long to send

An update: Installed the Clake and was VERY impressed with fit and finish. It's truly a thing of beauty. The supplied lines are extra-plenty long enough for even a wide, tall handlebar on the tallest risers.  

Unfortunately, the installation wasn't all roses. The retained stock clutch line is marginally too short with the Clake on my bar setup and due to its closer fitment to the bar it is a very near thing at full lock.

The next issue was fitment to the Flexx bar. The Clake fits very snugly up against the bar with not much offset. This causes it to come up against the swell of the bar mountings and puts the clutch cable hard into the pivoting crossbar bushings. After some careful grinding I got it to sit at a reasonable angle and (almost) enough distance from the grip although the line is forced into kind of an alarming angle. The supplied lines all fit beautifully with nice offsets at the ends where needed.

Bleeding was a chore. I say that lightly because I was at it for probably six hours and I'm no novice a bleeding motorcycle brakes. I used every trick in the book including tapping with rubber mallet to free bubbles, removing and inverting components and cracking banjos as well as bleeders. The small master and slave ends combined with long distances made a vacuum bleeder a necessity and even then, one tiny bubble is enough to screw up lever pull distances.

It did fit under the Cycra handguards with only small tweaks needed.

So, on to lever adjusting. The overlap is wrong. The brake lever works and the clutch lever works and they are bled to a fair thee well. But pulling back the brake doesn't give enough travel to disengage the clutch. The Clake came with three extra cams to adjust the lever profiles. Unfortunately, two of the three were the same as already installed in the Clake. The different one was for the brake side and not much different.

The website is down and no helpful videos on youtube found.

So as of now, I'm dead in the water.

damn that's a bugger. sounds the same as my kit, i really wanted a nice separation of the clutch then the rear brake applying as two distinct events and didn't like the overlap idea. i phoned the guys and a suitable cam was in the post and on my bike a few days later. 

i think i still have an email address for them that doesn't go through the website and will send them a copy of your post....

damn that's a bugger. sounds the same as my kit, i really wanted a nice separation of the clutch then the rear brake applying as two distinct events and didn't like the overlap idea. i phoned the guys and a suitable cam was in the post and on my bike a few days later.

i think i still have an email address for them that doesn't go through the website and will send them a copy of your post....

Thanks. I'm really discouraged with it right now. I assumed it would be a bolt on, bleed and go situation. Not keen on waiting for parts to come from across the globe perhaps several times to get it working properly. In addition I believe I'll need to shim under the throwout bearing to raise the lever disengagement point. Of course I have no shims for this.

One other situation I hadn't mentioned, I did take it for a short ride even though the overlaps weren't right, just to see how it felt. My conclusion is that the levers are to stiff for comfortable one finger operation. My left forearm is still sore from clutching on the previous week's ride and using the clutch with index finger and combined pulls of clutch and rear brake on ring finger is excessively stiff for my already sore arm.

As of Monday I'm contemplating asking to exchange it for refund. If I were in Melbourne I think getting it sorted would be possible in a reasonable time. With the geography as it is, my bike could be down for a great part of the summer and still not have a satisfactory result.

I'm not madly impressed with the power or the LHRB,I think it's going to be more for stopping rolling back on hills,I was hoping to be able to use it to slid the back with my foot out,but it'll be alright for limited situations

• Like 1

An update, I decided not to pursue the Clake system. There are just too many issues that would need to be addressed to make it work for me and my setup.

I emailed Owen at Clake and got a prompt response that he would gladly work with me to tailor the system to my needs or refund my money.

Still impressed with the company even after the issues I had. The product is of top quality and the owner is a stand-up guy.

pity it didn't meet your expectations though. owen did email me actually just to say thanks for letting him know you weren't happy and couldn't get in touch with him.

i can't really say anything but he did mention some personal issues that were wreaking havoc with work that made me understand why he's had trouble getting a balance between meeting orders, answering emails and generally streamlining things to meet the sudden demand he's had over the past six months.

hope he gets it sorted... and you get your bike the way you want it!

• Like 1

I was saving up for the clake two, but after seeing this drama I decided to buy this for the same price...now I have to figure out how to ride it.

Same price? Wow, nice! Everybody should have one of them to practice on.

• Like 1

Same price? Wow, nice! Everybody should have one of them to practice on.

I couldn't pass it up.....I'm still interested in trying a clake someday, but this will keep me busy for a while...as long as I don't get hurt!

• Like 1

I couldn't pass it up.....I'm still interested in trying a clake someday, but this will keep me busy for a while...as long as I don't get hurt!

Yeah, it's not a bad idea to wait out the personal, production, packaging and delivery and issues Owen is having. I wouldn't anticipate the Beta biting you. You can get really radical on a trials bike at barely a crawl, and just sort of step off and lay her down when things go wrong. Of course, if you plan on riding like Tony Bou, you might have problems, but that's another story:

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1