hawaiidirtrider

Clake? ..worth getting?

I was saving up for the clake two, but after seeing this drama I decided to buy this for the same price...now I have to figure out how to ride it.

I couldn't pass it up.....I'm still interested in trying a clake someday, but this will keep me busy for a while...as long as I don't get hurt!

I tried a demo a few years back. The bikes are really weird. The shifter is way forward. Torque is electric like (almost 100% power right off idle). First time I tried an obstacle the front end pointed to the sky!! Of course with a little time in er' off the saddle, I'm sure you will get used to it. I've actually thought of getting one for a training tool.

Back to the Clake. My Rekluse LHRB has been almost flawless. A little spongy at first but you really don't notice it when riding. In fact it really modulates nicley to prevent back tire from locking up on steep, loose downhills. I read a post somewhere here on a new improved version with a steel braided brake line.

• Like 2

I tried a demo a few years back. The bikes are really weird. The shifter is way forward. Torque is electric like (almost 100% power right off idle). First time I tried an obstacle the front end pointed to the sky!! Of course with a little time in er' off the saddle, I'm sure you will get used to it. I've actually thought of getting one for a training tool.

Back to the Clake. My Rekluse LHRB has been almost flawless. A little spongy at first but you really don't notice it when riding. In fact it really modulates nicley to prevent back tire from locking up on steep, loose downhills. I read a post somewhere here on a new improved version with a steel braided brake line.

funny you mention the shifter, I test rode it in the parking lot where I met the guy and thought..."wow, I have take my foot off the peg to get the shifter"  I was thinking someone with size 15 feet owned it, but now that I think about it, i guess i makes sense with all the "body english" required you wouldn't want to find neutral at an inopportune time.

• Like 1

funny you mention the shifter, I test rode it in the parking lot where I met the guy and thought..."wow, I have take my foot off the peg to get the shifter"  I was thinking someone with size 15 feet owned it, but now that I think about it, i guess i makes sense with all the "body english" required you wouldn't want to find neutral at an inopportune time.

That's exactly right. Let us know how this bike works out for you. I see these once in a while for really cheap. Other funny thing that I got laughed at was how I swung my leg over the bike instead of just stepping through the seat!! LOL

• Like 1

I have a Clake Two awaiting install sometime in the next few weeks after my X-Trainer arrives & will share the process. I used to ride a bike with a Recluse & a LHRB with the foot brake removed in the trails & have missed it these past two years riding a conventional setup. There are so many situations in Hawaii that a footbrake doesn't make any sense.

I'm really interested in the SLR. I have the rekluse lhrb on all of my bikes now. After finally figuring out a trick on how to keep them bled, I still wish the Hayes MC had more power. I prefer one finger braking so I can keep a death grip on the bars. I had an old early model rekluse that converted the clutch mc to the lhrb. Loved that thing. better leverage, easier to bleed. only drawback was losing the clutch. Hardly ever used the clutch once the auto was installed, but still liked to have it. The SLR looks like it has a LOT of leverage and stopping power.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in the SLR. I have the rekluse lhrb on all of my bikes now. After finally figuring out a trick on how to keep them bled, I still wish the Hayes MC had more power. I prefer one finger braking so I can keep a death grip on the bars. I had an old early model rekluse that converted the clutch mc to the lhrb. Loved that thing. better leverage, easier to bleed. only drawback was losing the clutch. Hardly ever used the clutch once the auto was installed, but still liked to have it. The SLR looks like it has a LOT of leverage and stopping power.

I still have that early model Rekluse LHRB on my 300. Another member here posted that Rekluse is now using a improved version of Hayes.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/products/brakes/prime/

Here is a link on ebay for the new one. Sorry I forgot the TT members name. I want to thank him for making us aware of this. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-250-300-350-400-450-498-RR-Extreme-Enduro-Left-Hand-Rear-Brake-Kit-Stage-1-/121547965153?hash=item1c4cd2c2e1&vxp=mtr

i rode a bike with the SLR fitted.... i've heard plenty of guys say it's stronger than the rekluse but i wouldn't expect locking up the rear wheel with a light pull of the lever, your fingers simply can't do the same job a foot can.

i found a good hard pull with one finger just locked up the rear wheel when needed, and i really liked the soft braking for everything else - very gentle and controllable. but you might be disappointed if buying it to lock up the rear wheel constantly into every right hand corner, you'd get a sore hand fairly quickly i reckon. 

I finally got the Clake Two adjusted better for my second ride & like it very much! 

a beta cross trainer and a clake 2 would have to be an incredible combination when riding in the snotty stuff!

a beta cross trainer and a clake 2 would have to be an incredible combination when riding in the snotty stuff!

I'll find out the answer to that later next month.... :)  yeah baby !

A trip south for you Bazza?  You can stay at my place and we can swap between the MY16 RR300 and XT with Clake 2, bring your video camera and start practicing saying "BAITER" so the ROW can understand...

I'll find out the answer to that later next month.... :)  yeah baby !

A trip south for you Bazza?  You can stay at my place and we can swap between the MY16 RR300 and XT with Clake 2, bring your video camera and start practicing saying "BAITER" so the ROW can understand...

very generous offer c, and you never know i might take you up on that one day! 

I finally got the Clake Two adjusted better for my second ride & like it very much! 

happy for you, mate. However, us folks in the US get no response from the owners of Clake... disappointing.

spoke with the clake guy last week, he's still swamped with orders and currently taking about six weeks from order to delivery...

he was just about on top of things after being swamped with international orders a year ago then got the nasty 'brisbane' strain of flu and was laid up for weeks. to make things worse, clake is essentially a two man show and his partner has been away from some time due to family matters. 

at the moment he's focused on meeting orders and neglecting the email enquiries etc which is unfortunate in my opinion but understandable. he issued a public apology a while back for delayed orders and lack of comms. 

• Like 1

I have a Clake 2 in stock at the shop I work at, if anyone is interested PM me.  $790 shipped to the mainland USA.   Also have SLR for $308 shipped to the mainland USA.

• Like 1

I've had one on my OSSA for quite some time.

It is fantastic!!!!

Much better than the Rekluse from my experience- 1. Assist, so super light.

2. Large reservoir, so no issues there.

You can have the LHRB activate the clutch if you like- or not. (Quick adjustment)

Both are in the same plane, MUCH eaiser to use.

I've had Rekluse clutches in the past- now I would not have one of those, but just use this Clake2.

For me- it has given a LOT better control.

I've had others ride it, really very one seemed to pick it right up. Ńot a big deal.

I've posted a bunch up others places.

I was interested in being a USA dealer, but never got any response about it

Mark

For all the money some of you guys with your fragile physiques are spending on ridicules not to mention expensive band aid fixes to try and prop up your lack of skill. Why not redirect that money over to a second bike, a trials bike so you can learn the fundamental skills to become a proficient rider? You can't buy skill nor experience ,neither is there any replacement for plain old seat time and in the long run a trials bike is going to end up being the more economical option as opposed to all this blingy crap Just sayin.

Edited by widebear

My bike IS a trials bike!

I'm afraid after 48 years of riding my skill level is not going to increase hugely.

Heck- I'm still working doing a proper turn!

(Sort of depends on the type of trails you like also.

I've ridden a lot eaiser trials sections than the normal trail I like)

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 1