Clake? ..worth getting?

For all the money some of you guys with your fragile physiques are spending on ridicules not to mention expensive band aid fixes to try and prop up your lack of skill. Why not redirect that money over to a second bike, a trials bike so you can learn the fundamental skills to become a proficient rider? You can't buy skill nor experience ,neither is there any replacement for plain old seat time and in the long run a trials bike is going to end up being the more economical option as opposed to all this blingy crap Just sayin.

yes and no. in the training vids i regularly stress that it mostly boils down to rider skill, and don't think the "right" tyres, expensive bling or a chrome plated grease nipple are going to fix bad technique or lack of experience. 

but "fragile" physiques are a fact of life for many especially when you get past 50. a clake plays a key part in reducing my carpal tunnel syndrome and reduces the pain from some early arthritis in the fingers. it should also extend how long i can ride for so i'm willing to fork over the cash.

i ride a trials bike. i initially transferred the stuff learned to a stock dirt bike with stock clutch etc. so i feel i'm qualified to comment on "blingy crap". if you are healthy and don't have any physical issues yet, good on you. but they'll kick in sooner or later. 

• Like 4

Chang-beer-and-elephant.jpgChang-beer-and-elephant.jpg

yes and no. in the training vids i regularly stress that it mostly boils down to rider skill, and don't think the "right" tyres, expensive bling or a chrome plated grease nipple are going to fix bad technique or lack of experience. 

but "fragile" physiques are a fact of life for many especially when you get past 50. a clake plays a key part in reducing my carpal tunnel syndrome and reduces the pain from some early arthritis in the fingers. it should also extend how long i can ride for so i'm willing to fork over the cash.

i ride a trials bike. i initially transferred the stuff learned to a stock dirt bike with stock clutch etc. so i feel i'm qualified to comment on "blingy crap". if you are healthy and don't have any physical issues yet, good on you. but they'll kick in sooner or later. 

Just take some stronger  medicinal products and quit carrying on. Chrome grease nipples?

The part that concerns me about the clake is that only 1 fore finger is used.. I've heard from a local rider that when he was riding with the clake his one finger got sore lol.. and depending how you ride.. how you hold the bars it's also different. I rode from when I was little so my grip is different than some. I use my thumb and forefinger to hold around the bar and my outer 2 or 3 fingers are what I use for brake and clutch.. I did it since i was small and didn't have the hand strength then.. the one finger use fore brake doesn't play well for me.. it looks like I'll get my fingers kind of stuck.. idk.. I'd have to try it but I wouldn't want to throw down 3 to 8hundred or whatever it costs.. actually the $300 of just the rekluse left hand rear brake is still pushing back it's purchase for me..even that is too much compared to other mods for me right now. It's just lower in the priority box for me.. maybe later but idk

attachicon.gifChang-beer-and-elephant.jpgattachicon.gifChang-beer-and-elephant.jpg

Just take some stronger  medicinal products and quit carrying on. Chrome grease nipples?

What's shitty is that I don't even drink anymore...it's not worth it .. I'm in more pain in the long run.. my meds don't work and my body gets more screwed up..Hello getting older..

What's shitty is that I don't even drink anymore...it's not worth it .. I'm in more pain in the long run.. my meds don't work and my body gets more screwed up..Hello getting older..

I dont drink either and don't miss it. I feel better,sleep better and with what I save on booze I buy better food with. I'm also a  vegetable atarian though I do eat fish, this after the Dr told me my cholesterol numbers were international space station high..

• Like 1

I dont drink either and don't miss it. I feel better,sleep better and with what I save on booze I buy better food with. I'm also a  vegetable atarian though I do eat fish, this after the Dr told me my cholesterol numbers were international space station high..

You are my hero... I am toward that more than I ever have been but still struggling with the sweets.. carbs.. but good for you.. You are doing it right.; I'm still swinging and missing some as far as making the correct healthy changes to the degree that they need to be...

I use the clutch A LOT.
It is so light that my finger never gets tired.

For regular trail stuff I use the forefinger only- moving to LHRB when I want brake and a bit of clutch.
For the tightest (trial like, or on a trial) I use the middle finder for brake, forefinger for clutch.

Even though I'm a wimp, out of shape, old and a crappy rider my finger doesn't get tired even on very long rides.

For me, the excellent brake control is well worth it- super light clutch is a Wonderful bonus.
Plus I Can keep my feet where I want them for best balance and control (sometimes in the air if i am stopped and get a bit out of balance- or when I see stumps/roots that could break a foot)

Sure, not for everyone, but with the LHRB I very, very seldom lock the rear wheel. That gives me supurb traction with the competition Trials tyre.

I need all the help I can get. I just want to go ride, have fun and not fall down (#1 rule, and I don't often break it)

Mark (old, slow and dumb)

(!Oh yeah, I also like trying out and playing with 'gadgets'- part of the fun for me)

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 2

This looks intteresting.. not sure about how durable this thing is and what problems but the benefits I could use.. It looks a little funky though..maybe just have to get used to it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86qN3anUTy8

I think it would be a great alternative to Rekluse. I have a Rekluse on my 300xc and it works good but I think this is a better alternative if your wanting a left hand rear brake (which I do) This is a really good review of the product. Edited by jaybo769
  • Like 1

I think it would be a great alternative to Rekluse. I have a Rekluse on my 300xc and it works good but I think this is a better alternative if your wanting a left hand rear brake (which I do) This is a really good review of the product.

great vid but now I'm sure I don't want it.. My hand placement is different.. I always have used the forefinger and thumb to hold the bars on both sides and used the other fingers for clutch and brake etc.. I could try using it at some time to see but it doesn't look ergonomically right after watching the vid.. I know some that have this but i'm not liking it personally. I think it works well maybe for those that hold their bars like in the vid though.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

makes sense hawaiirider, it could be a big load of cash just to discover you don't like it.

i rang the clake guy about mine the other day and got chatting... he's got plans for a different version that suits guys who hold the bars differently and use different fingers etc as he's had feedback from a small percentage of riders who said the clake 2 was tricky for them, at least at first. 

he didn't give me any details but just said it's in the pipeline. 

• Like 1

I'm going to be putting this on my next bike, whenever I figure out what bike I'm replacing my 300xc with

Some do prefer the ProLever.

I have not tired one of those, so can't comment.

I did get another Clake 2 for my next bike (that I haven't gotten yet).

I used to use my forefinger to grip bar- but changed to use it on the clutch/rear brake a couple of years ago.

I try to keep a pretty light grip anyway, using balance and body position instead.

Marl

• Like 2

http://www.clake.com.au/clake-prolever-dual-standard-control/

still a no go when I look at how the finger goes on the lever ..

Seems like the plain old left hand rear brake would still work better for guys who hold on the bars like me and use mid and outer fingers for lever work.. and still this shit aint cheap.. I'm good just riding stock and traditional levers but I can see myself just buying one of these things at some time in the future.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/950/-/868141/Rekluse-Left-Hand-Rear-Brake-Kit?v=11118

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I'm i the States and ordered mine direct.

That was a year, year and a half ago or something.

I used to be a big believer in Rekluse clutch- but I've changed my mind after this setup.

The auto clutch won't let you lug the bike as much and has less fine control.

Or at least for me.

The only way I could get fine contol was to use the brKe and throttle to force the. Slipping more like I wanted.

But certainly not for everyone.

Cheaper than a Rekluse and their LHRB setup.

And I think works a LOT better.

(Just my opinion of course)

Mark

There was pain & suffering today & I injured my index finger so i used my middle finger for both cluch & brake on the clake two. It worked fine. Much depends on the angle & location on the bars. I cut my bars alot so its limited but checked before cutting them & have been playing with the minor adjustments available. I am liking the setup more & more after about 6 rides. Especially when needing to use my right foot for other things.