Clake? ..worth getting?

˙ɥƃnoɥʇ soǝpᴉʌ ǝɥʇ ʇnoqɐ ƃuᴉɥʇʎuɐ op ʇuɐɔ I ˙noʎ ɹoɟ ʇᴉ xᴉɟ ll,ᴉ ǝɹǝɥ ʞO ¿ ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ ɹno pɐǝɹ ʇuɐɔ noʎ uɐǝɯ noʎ op ʇɐɥʍ

You know.. I just looked over this thread again.  To me it just isn't worth it. That's a lot of money and I'm just going to ride with the regular clutch and brake that the bike comes with. If i'd ever add something.. maybe a left hand rear brake.. but even then. I don't need to throw $300 at that. I'd add every other mod that might be more important to me on a bike and then maybe get something like this.. and that's a big maybe. I just went riding yesterday.. foo foo cruisin tech mud riding ..and had fun ..and I just raced about 3 weeks ago and my Beta worked awesome . I didn't feel like I was hampered much by my Beta or felt any more enhancement would be wanted... as a matter of fact I'm the biggest thing holding back my bike. I rode with a guy that had a clake on his 14 250 rr yesterday . He was alright with it but it just came with the bike.. It's nice looking but idk.. I'm not buying into this.. but for everyone enthused about it.. knock yourselves out. I'll check in to see the progression and continue to see what local guys think of their clakes. 

yesterday.. nothin fast...

HawaiiDritRider, 

some of us old folk with arthritis and other hand/ foot issues are looking forward to these upgrades so we can continue to have fun.

FOr me it's not about how fast can i go and will the clake allow me to go faster. I am not hampered by the "BETA" either.  I think i will have alot of FUN foo foo riding  as well with the Clake. I hope its all i expect it to be and if not, Craigslist is an option.

• Like 2

I don't need one- but it makes riding more enjoyable for me.

Plus safer, since I can keep my balance better with my feet where I want them, and a LOT better control with the LHRB.

For me, better and cheaper than a Rekluse and LHRB. (And helps make up for my lack of skill)

(For many other- it is just another frivolous gizmo)

Mark

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 2

HawaiiDritRider,

some of us old folk with arthritis and other hand/ foot issues are looking forward to these upgrades so we can continue to have fun.

FOr me it's not about how fast can i go and will the clake allow me to go faster. I am not hampered by the "BETA" either. I think i will have alot of FUN foo foo riding as well with the Clake. I hope its all i expect it to be and if not, Craigslist is an option.

I fully relate. The reason estart means more for me is because of knee issues..and declining fitness. .strength. .for me the lhrb might be it later...

i know a lot of guys get so enthused by their clake they talk it up as a must-have accessory... for me it's largely about using anything on the bike that means my middle-aged carcass isn't quite so beat up after the ride lol.

so along with the clake i've got steg pegz, risers and fastway footpegs to squeeze my tall frame on to the beta, a cool set of twisted engineering handlebars about to be fitted... all things that make a huge difference for me but i know won't suit some riders. 

mind you, when we did the chris birch training i asked him if he'd ever ridden with a clake, half expecting him to bag it. he said he was expecting to find it all a load of hype but really liked it and immediately saw all the benefits. but he'd already developed incredible rear brake control as an expert trials rider, plus he said all the guys at the top level of extreme enduro keep their bikes as stock as possible so they can scavenge parts off other DNFed riders if something gives way on their bike. 

James Lampkin was checking my Clake 2 out on my OSSA during a trials school from him.

He thought it was interesting, but wanted me to use the footbrake.

I didn't - I have too little control that way, too crappy a rider.

BTW, the twisted engineering flex bars really help my wrists with the minimal suspension my bike has.

Their bark busters will not work with the Clake2 though (at least the way I have my bars turned up to simulate a trials bend).

(Probably the biggest thing I learned during the school was i think too much about what can go wrong, so don't commit. I don't want to Get hurt)

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 2

(Probably the biggest thing I learned during the school was i think too much about what can go wrong, so don't commit. I don't want to Get hurt)

FEAR,,, the over 50 club's biggest deficit.

To be young and fearless again,,,,,,, those were the days! 

• Like 5

yes i got ride of the rekluse because i wanted to work on my clutch skills.

yes i will probably want to revert to an auto-clutch some time next year.

yes it's 'cheating'.

yes my left hand is starting to ache that badly after each ride even with the clake one light clutch. 

a year ago i asked the doc about my aching fingers after each ride, especially the clutch hand. he said it's the earliest stages of arthritis (runs in the family) and i should do what i could to minimize stress on the fingers. much as i loved the clake 2, the clake one light clutch has an even easier pull which has helped a lot.

problem is it's getting to the point where the left hand is sore nowadays even with the extremely light pull. so if it keeps getting worse i figure at this rate i'll revert to an auto-clutch eventually next year. 

as i've said before, i dropped the rekluse because i wanted to learn proper clutch control which is needed for some of the trickier techniques for log hops and the like. i know guys call it cheating but i've never given anyone a hard time for using an auto-clutch and have always said it can help you ride in more technical terrain than usual to develop other skills (but obviously not your clutch work).

getting old is a bitch and i'm already 'cheating'... steg pegz, bar risers, flexx bars for the arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. and i'll revert to using an auto-clutch when i feel i have to. in our training chris birch was saying i needed to ditch these things for the more advanced techniques but i said as you get into your mid 50s you start to need all the help you can get.

only time will tell but i might only have another year left in me for this cross training lark before reverting to normal trail riding mixed in with some adventure riding. :(

Sorry to hear... I'll buy your Clake off you... Ahem... ;-)

BTW- ive been setting up four different Clake 2 setups.

I've leanred more about the cams and how to set those so the brake/clutch acts differently.

Lots of ways to adjust clutch assist, when brake activates and how quickly- same with clutch.

AND overlap of brake and clutch (if you want it)

It is really pretty cool.

• Like 1

BTW- ive been setting up four different Clake 2 setups.

I've leanred more about the cams and how to set those so the brake/clutch acts differently.

Lots of ways to adjust clutch assist, when brake activates and how quickly- same with clutch.

AND overlap of brake and clutch (if you want it)

It is really pretty cool.

Please enlighten us.  I am waiting for my clake 2 as well and am wondering if I should add of of the cams to my order.

Owen told me i should have my Clake last week. It's a good thing the weather is so f ing cold right now because i still didn't get it. Stuff takes forever to go around the world i guess.

Please enlighten us.  I am waiting for my clake 2 as well and am wondering if I should add of of the cams to my order.

It depends in what bike, what you want and what he ships.

I found I wanted a quicker acting clutch in most cases and more clutch assist on some.

Are you going to have it set so the rear brake operates the clutch also?

Mark

It depends in what bike, what you want and what he ships.

I found I wanted a quicker acting clutch in most cases and more clutch assist on some.

Are you going to have it set so the rear brake operates the clutch also?

Mark

That's why I wanted this item is for it to act like advertised- light clutch pull and to activate clutch first when pull on brake.  Aren't them all work that way?

That's why I wanted this item is for it to act like advertised- light clutch pull and to activate clutch first when pull on brake. Aren't them all work that way?

Every bike is a little different, every person wants it a little different.

They can work just as advertised, but may need a cam change to get it just as you want.

He usually sends extra cams to adjust- make sure you mention exactly now you want it to work.

(Early clutch release, super light clutch etc)

Note that more 'agreesive' cam for the clutch will make it a bit firmer- so an 'assist cam' that gives more assist may be what you want also.

I am getting a larger selection of cams all the time.

I'd be willing to swap out what I have to help out also. Easier than doing it from Australia.

It only takes a few mintues to change the cams.

Watch the video on bleeding.

The only thing I'd like to change are the bleed screws on the master. They are flat washer screws, regular tapered bleed screws would make it a LOT eaiser.

I've always had to bleed the master before doing anything else.

It is a bit like a Weber DCOE. The good part is you can change everything. The bad part is you can change everything.

But it is pretty easy to read the docs online and figure out what you need to change. Plus it is so easy it is worth just trying it and see how it works for you.

Mark

(I'm right across from Victoria, BC- about 90 miles west of Seattle)

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the heads up.  I've just emailed Owen last night about buying extra cams. If my order was on schedule it should have been shipped last week.  Well, we'll see.

Lotus how long did it take for you to get your Clake?

Owen said he shipped mine 18 days ago and i still haven't gotten it.

I keep emailing him and get no reply so i am getting a bit uneasy about his company.

You would think that a company that is looking for investors would have a better communication with its customers.

I don't like to badmouth openly on a public forum but Clake needs to get their customer service issues ironed out.

CLAKE CROWD FUNDING: 20% discount off future products

ages ago i emailed owen at clake for a few guys here who were getting annoyed about delayed deliveries, he issued a public apology and said they were working flat out to meet the international demand that swamped them this year, but also find a solution. they are going the crowd funding route to resolve these current delays, and also get their new gear into production. click here to read about it. 

they are putting in a second more up-to-date CNC machine to boost production and hopefully eliminate delayed deliveries in the near future. the crowd funding will help with expanding their facilities but also getting their new stuff into production too. they are looking for an AUD$100 (about US$70?) contribution and in exchange there's a lifetime 20% discount on all their future products.

the new products are a customized throttle assembly, an electronic anti-stall device, and a fully electronic auto-clutch, with others planned later on too. 

the electronic auto-clutch is the one that i'm super keen on as my middle-aged fingers are starting to hurt after every ride even with the very light pull of the clake one light clutch. they reckon this is infinitely tuneable and can be set up to disengage the clutch when the engine is off - avoiding that nasty roll back on steep hills. 

a declaration of interest, i don't work for clake but they did ask me if i'd do some short videos for their crowd funding. no money changed hands but i'll be scoring one of those electronic auto-clutches when they come into production! i'll do an objective review once i get my hot little hands on it. :)

Edited by Gary C