Tall vs short bars.

Hey guys I have 2012 yz450. I went from the stock bars to windham to Henry reed. I tried different bars because I felt the stock were to low and kept me from getting up on the front of the seat. The Windhams were just too tall. I like the henry reed but am almost thinking about going back to some thing lower like the stock bars. I am more comfortable on the bike than when i first got it and am wondering if going taller was the right choice curious if maybe lower bars will help me weight the front end better in the turns by being more over the bars when seated rather than the bars feeling like they are out in front of me. I am 5 foot 10 by the way. Input and opinions please. Thanks. I race mx and occasionally trail ride.

I have the same bike and felt the same exact way about the stock bars too low. Im exactly 5' 8.5"(been measured alot at the ortho lol). I am running the windham bend with them rotated back just a little bit and that feels perfect for me. I also have the fastway evo air pegs set in the lower position too.

• Like 1

I felt like I was always reaching for the bars with the taller bars. Rotating them back helped alot. I do ride more in the middle of the bike. Its funny sensitive these bikes are to little adjustments

Are you saying rotating the stock bars back or taller bars back helped a lot. I am running the Henry reed now I think they are kind of in between the the stock bars and the windham bend hight wise. I have improved cornering by really trying to lay the bike over and keep weight far forward. I agree even with the Henry reed and definitely the windhams when your about to go into a seated position with the higher bars you have to reach for them instead of being able to push down and weight the front tire. I am looking for input because even though I have Owned several dirt bikes the racing aspect is new to me.

That is exactly what it felt like with the taller windham bars. It felt like I was reaching for them going into corners. I rotated the windham bars back and it put them more underneath me. Give that a shot with the henry reed bars and see how you like it. I think grayracer made a post awhile back about bars on the 10-13 yzs that was pretty good

• Like 1

I have the same bike and felt the same exact way about the stock bars too low. Im exactly 5' 8.5"(been measured alot at the ortho lol). I am running the windham bend with them rotated back just a little bit and that feels perfect for me. I also have the fastway evo air pegs set in the lower position too.

How do you like those pegs can you feel the difference that their lower.

How do you like those pegs can you feel the difference that their lower.

i put them on mine but havent had a chance to ride with them yet.  the spring mechanism sucks on them and doesnt seem like it fits the pegs correctly.  i also went with the rc high bars and mx bonz clams which are a little higher than stock.  im mainly going to ride in the woods and stand up a lot and the bike felt extremely cramped for me stock and im only 5 11".

I really really like those pegs. I wouldnt say I really noticed they were lower. What I noticed was more room from the shifter and brake lever which gave me more room to move my feet around. There is alot of adjustment on the angle that they sit at. I also angled mine up. With lower and angled pegs it felt easier to push my knee and leg into that wide ass tank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...