2015 FE 501S modifications thread

I have a 14 sprocket I was going to try as well but the 13 is working good so I may not even use it

Same here. Bought the 14 thinking I would use it. Have not so far.  May save it for some future Baja trip or something but not for local dual sport or wood riding.  I find the 13/48 still goes fast enough at high speed that I really don't want to go any faster on road with knobbys - works okay with stock chain, but I would not mind running a tad longer chain to put the wheel further back a bit or in case I want to go with a 50T sprocket on the rear at some point.  

Going to order a 13t cs to run the 48 and install a longer chain.  Anyone know if the rear wheels from a '13 KTM 300 will fit this 501??

Also, how many extra links did you make your new chain? Or is there a rule of thumb when you're sizing a new chain?  Never had to mess with them before.  

Installed the G2 Dirt Tamer throttle tube with 400 cam to slow down the throttle ramp for the first 45% of throttle, then it ramps up quick after that.  Did a quick test run, and it definitely rolls on slower off the bottom.  

Apparently KTM and Husky just ordered a huge shipment of these to offer them in their parts catalog soon.  With the EU remap, 3-way map switch, and now throttle tamer should be pretty adjustable and tamable in the super slick stuff... the goal attempt here is to make the bike behave like a 400cc bike on tighter trails with milder throttle use, and switch to 510 behavior on open stuff.  Always wanted to try this combo.  Hope to know more soon the next time out.    

DRI0414-TEST-G2.jpg

Just put this puppy on my bike over the weekend and holy crap.... SOOOOO much more controllable!!!  However, when I ordered... in the comments I asked if they could send it out with a 300 cam instead of a 400... no problem!  I cant imagine the 400 cam.... after using the 300... its *just* right. 

Also put a set of FLEXX bars on (10* Moto bend), Fastway Evo III Footpegs, Seat Concepts tall seat, Enduro Engineering handguards and an EE skid plate.  My bike is freakin ready for anything now! :D

Just put this puppy on my bike over the weekend and holy crap.... SOOOOO much more controllable!!!  However, when I ordered... in the comments I asked if they could send it out with a 300 cam instead of a 400... no problem!  I cant imagine the 400 cam.... after using the 300... its *just* right. 

Also put a set of FLEXX bars on (10* Moto bend), Fastway Evo III Footpegs, Seat Concepts tall seat, Enduro Engineering handguards and an EE skid plate.  My bike is freakin ready for anything now! :D

Drunk tank, 

Nice.  You might wanna keep that 300 G2ergo cam on there for a while and see how it goes.  Last night I removed the 400 cam and installed the 300 like you have now.  The 400 was almost required a tad too much throttle rotation so the developer at G2ergo recommended I try the 300 instead.  ALSO, check the slack in the throttle cables.  I had to adjust both the pull and return and return cables following the procedure in the manual.  There was way too much play stock.  Book calls for only 5mm slack at the grip, I had almost 10mm stock and adjusted back to 4-5mm. Now it feels more predictable off idle.  Installed some other goodies I'll post later tonight.  Fun to dial in the 501.   ?

Edited by decooney

Drunk tank, 

Nice.  You might wanna keep that 300 G2ergo cam on there for a while and see how it goes.  Last night I removed the 400 cam and installed the 300 like you have now.  The 400 was almost required a tad too much throttle rotation so the developer at G2ergo recommended I try the 300 instead.  ALSO, check the slack in the throttle cables.  I had to adjust both the pull and return and return cables following the procedure in the manual.  There was way too much play stock.  Book calls for only 5mm slack at the grip, I had almost 10mm stock and adjusted back to 4-5mm. Now it feels more predictable off idle.  Installed some other goodies I'll post later tonight.  Fun to dial in the 501.   ?

Ya... they didnt even send me a 400.  Just a 300.  My bike is stupid new so I need to get some good miles on it and get everything stretched out.  Almost funny how much longer my chain got after my first ride.... Gonna tighten it up tonight.  I know that added a bit of *kick* to it when hitting the throttle... but still so much smoother.  Pure love!

Side note... with FLEXX bars in the forward mount position on the triple clamps, I cant see the display.  LOL!  Oh well!

More modifications in progress... 

Done:

-pegs,

-exhaust mod,

-swingarm  protectors.

Next:

-Pre-fitting GL Diablo Pro tank bag (not tested yet)

Almost done...soon, I hope.  ? 

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

Tank bag not tested yet, may be too far forward in this photo.  Will know next time out in a few weeks on next ride.  

IMG_1285.jpg

• Like 1

That seems like a fairly large bag.

I know, but it is also fitting too.  What I mean is It is right at the limit of being perfect for a full day ride in the cooler weather when you might bring an extra shirt, other gloves, camera, or may need to hide a few light weight items in there.  Or being a tad large if you are just doing a 1/2 day ride and dont' need to carry much.  Typically, If I don't have much to carry, I just put it in my rider pants pockets or jacket or hydration pack. if I need to carry more then the tank bag goes on. I had a tank bag like this on my 690 enduro and used it all the time. This bag does not get in the way like the factory KTM bag did on my 690.  It sits low, below the bars which is nice.  It would be nice if they made a tad narrower harness and and bag, but once you see it on the bike and sit on the bike, you realize it can do the job if you like the size.

Edited by decooney

2014-2015 Fuel TANK threads are longer, popular, and very specific. Here are a few different threads for quick reference if it helps.  

IMS tank: 

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1117074-ims-tank-for-fe501-s/page-2

Acerbis 4.1 on TT:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1125097-acerbis-41g-tank/

Acerbis 4.1 on ADVRider:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989284&page=4

• Like 1

Are your handlebars too low on your 350S/501S when standing on the footpegs reaching down while in the woods???

Replaced the stock 37mm risers to the largest 52mm risers.  Now I can reach the bars when standing up, and don't feel like I'm going to tip over.  

These are a factory KTM Husky part right out of the Husky power catalog.  

IMG_1300.jpg

Edited by decooney

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the standard FE501 and added integrated turn signals to the tail light and Zeta hand guards with turn signals in them. Best bike I own as far as putting a smile on my face every time I ride it. Here's a few pictures and videos.

IMG_0762_zpsn90tmkmm.jpg

IMG_9233_zpslyljvfhm.jpg

IMG_9259_zpshxskm3w8.jpg

IMG_0192_zpsts8jhvtd.png

Bought these to try the 501 in supermoto mode ?

IMG_0800_zpsycyteu70.jpg

• Like 3

North50, Your bike looks great! Are your mirrors something that Zeta makes as an accessory for the hand guards? I am going to add the same ones to my bike and I'm over my double take mirror flopping around. Thanks!!

North50, Your bike looks great! Are your mirrors something that Zeta makes as an accessory for the hand guards? I am going to add the same ones to my bike and I'm over my double take mirror flopping around. Thanks!!

Thank You, I had a double take mirror on the bike at first but like these much better for ease of use and never having to mess with them.

You can go here to see the bike and mirrors in action

https://www.youtube.com/user/north50

Here is a link to the mirrors I used, cheap to buy also ?

http://www.amazon.com/PowerMadd-34289-Trail-Handguard-Mirror/dp/B00E62MUYM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433898506&sr=8-4&keywords=powermadd

Heres a better picture of them on the bike, Simply but a longer bolt and nut for outside most bolt that mounts the zeta hand guards to the bar. That is what holds the mirrors on and I have no issues at all, I've dropped them and run at 70mph and they work just as well as mirrors costing 5x as much but look 5x better.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%209.17.3

Edited by North50
  • Like 1

Thank You, I had a double take mirror on the bike at first but like these much better for ease of use and never having to mess with them.

You can go here to see the bike and mirrors in action

https://www.youtube.com/user/north50

Here is a link to the mirrors I used, cheap to buy also ?

http://www.amazon.com/PowerMadd-34289-Trail-Handguard-Mirror/dp/B00E62MUYM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433898506&sr=8-4&keywords=powermadd

Heres a better picture of them on the bike, Simply but a longer bolt and nut for outside most bolt that mounts the zeta hand guards to the bar. That is what holds the mirrors on and I have no issues at all, I've dropped them and run at 70mph and they work just as well as mirrors costing 5x as much but look 5x better.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%209.17.3

They are ordered! Thanks a lot for the info, I've been looking for something like this for quite some time, much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...