CR500 AF gen3 build!

Frame is soon done, just need to weld the ignition mount, exhaust mounts on frame and subframe.
10809875_1528424734049010_1640098965_n.j

Just some off ebay, the lower stud bolts he sent me the wrong ones so i couldnt use them...

Thinking about doing some experiment with the engine, maybe throw it in another broken CR if i can find one..

Yeah i saw the decomp, im gonna try to get a Service honda hi power ignition, that should help with starting..but they wont start making them again until 3 months from now, still winter here so ill just wait :)

save your money on the sh ignition unless you plan to run lights. Bolt on a complete cr250 ignition system and be done. Use the cdi, flywheel, stator, the works. Best mod I have done to my 500. Starts easier and runs so much better.

• Like 2

Would be nice if anything would ever fit....

CP500 Headstay for cr250 02-07 not even close to fitting, not to mention the Y-piece that was a pain in the ass to fit due to the rails being slightly bent inwards and the y piece being machined straight...

Right radiator needs to be welded (knew that), the inner hose connections are touching the cylinder, need to bend those..

Exhaust is extremely hard to mount and remove with the exhaust joint mounted.

CWbwRLY.jpg?1
JmU6lGb.jpg?1
8df3P55.jpg?1
paxg00c.jpg?1
5xFBUTU.jpg?1

In the end i guess itll be all right....

Heat the radiator where the spigot comes into it before trying to adjust the angle, learned that the hard way. They you won't have to reweld the joint.

Oval the holes on the top 2 bolt holes a bit to get the head stay to line up better. Go a little at a time.

You are almost home!

• Like 1

Extremely slow process trying to fit everything, looking at other peoples threads it looks so easy...
2q1e00n.jpg

Remade the rear bracket, now the exhaust fits perfect, ignore the washers, didnt have the rubber mount at hand.
jl6sdt.jpg

Need to adjust the exhaust a little bit, need to get my hands on a torch...
ac3hxt.jpg

Edited by Woody R

wow, look at how much rad to pipe clearance there is!

Hah yeah, was a bit tight between the exhaust and the waterpump but i got about 15mm clearance there now so it should be good, dont want it to rub if i crash slightly..

Will weld exhaust mount and the radiator tomorrow, also ordered stegpegz and a new kick pedal!

Got my did rims today so will lace them on soon :)

• Like 1

save your money on the sh ignition unless you plan to run lights. Bolt on a complete cr250 ignition system and be done. Use the cdi, flywheel, stator, the works. Best mod I have done to my 500. Starts easier and runs so much better.

. What year cr250 ignition are you running? Just about to tear my motor apart for a rebuild prior to putting into an AF build I'm doing too.

Would be nice if anything would ever fit....

CP500 Headstay for cr250 02-07 not even close to fitting, not to mention the Y-piece that was a pain in the ass to fit due to the rails being slightly bent inwards and the y piece being machined straight...

Right radiator needs to be welded (knew that), the inner hose connections are touching the cylinder, need to bend those..

Exhaust is extremely hard to mount and remove with the exhaust joint mounted.CWbwRLY.jpg?1JmU6lGb.jpg?18df3P55.jpg?1paxg00c.jpg?15xFBUTU.jpg?1

In the end i guess itll be all right....

Regarding the headstay not lining up, the first thing they say to do in their "fitting the Y" video is to attach the headstay to put the engine where it needs to be, then the Y and lower mounts. The video shows a CRF250R but I'm sure it's the same on CR's. Just saying....

Regardless, looking good!

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

Three more welds and i can start the assembly, been a pain in the ass to find places where i can borrow a proper weld etc...

• Like 1

Got some coolant hoses touching the cylinder and also touching the exhaust, hope it will be ok, had it like that on my 250 and it held up for years.

Radiator fins are from crf 250.

Radiator braces took some tinkering to get right, also sliced some tubing and put inbetween to try and eliminate rattle, altho i think it will be hard to not make everything rattle with this engine, also used loctite on every bolt on the bike ;)

EMylyB6.jpg?1
pAlfLyu.jpg?1
OhQi7pT.jpg?1
1zhHnrh.jpg?1
FqNG088.jpg?1
Z7dvkPR.jpg?1
XDNfh1S.jpg?1
SUAPQnc.jpg?1
KgtHx4M.jpg?1

00T7Xhe.jpg?1
QLPKgox.jpg?1
gGzM8AM.jpg?1

Edited by Woody R
  • Like 1

one thing I recommend on the center lower rad spigots is rather than straight across tip them up , that way the hose clears the cylinder easily and re assembly becomes easyer because you have slack to work with-  ?

• Like 1