The 2013 & newer Fuel Inj XT250 run well but they can run better.

The 2013 and newer fuel inj XT250 run great but they can run better and produce even smoother power with a stronger low, mid, and top.

I installed a Dyno Jet Power Commander FC fuel controler specific for the 2013 and newer fuel injected Yamaha XT250 Duel Sport motorcycles. The controler comes with a map to match the stock configuration of the XT250 and three dip switches to add fuel +or- to the low,mid and top RPM ranges. You can also go in with your lab top and adjust the fuel curves throughout the range in the map if needed. I also added a K&N factory replacement air filter (this filter helps the top end even without the Power Commander added I highly recommend this to any XT250 even if left stock) My 2013 XT250 just plain runs smoother with more power with the Power Commander FC added to the bike. (pretty straight forward install) The bike ran just fine with the Dyno jet map in the stock configuration with nothing more than the install and no other mods. I highly recommend this on the fuel injected XT250 motorcycles.

NOTE,

I wanted to do some more sweaking as I have built and tuned bikes for years so below is what I did at a very cost effective way to even get the bike to produce a little more power without breaking the bank. Also note I wanted to keep the bike quiet for early morning comutes to work and light trail riding (I love the XT250 for this task)

*Below additional mods and items purchased to increase performance even more on my 2013 XT250

* Power Commander FC for 2013 and newer Yamaha XT250 $199.00

* I left stock exaust system on bike.

* I purchased a replacement K&N air filter $35.00 good for stock use or with this mod ( NOTE K&N filter added only nothing needs to be done to bike)

* I purchased another factory air box lid for about $6.00 online and another air box lid gasket about $2.00 (I wanted my stock air box lid in tact if for what ever reason the bike needs to be returned to stock configuration)

* I purchased a pack of 6 UnI filter brand 1" air box foam filter breather plugs about $12.00 at the local Yamaha shop.

Additional work done. Power Commander settings after tuning work test rides and plug readings. ( Plugs read a little diffrent with modern oxginated unleaded fuel but the principal of the reading is pretty much the same over all for tuning purpose. (If read correctly this will give you a good idea of how the A/F ratio looks and tell you if your to rich or to lean)

1. I added one of the UNI filter breather plugs to the air box lid to add more air to the allready restricted air box ( NOTE not much more than this mod is needed it will add the right amout of air but not add to much) Also this mod is tuff to do as this breather plug fits realy tight and the 1" hole has to be drilled perfect to not screw the lid up (NOTE)  Be very careful and precise when doing this.

2. Add K&N factory replacement air filter.

3. Power comander dip switch settings after listed mods, tuning and plug readings= Low= +1 Mid= +4 and Top/High= +4 (NOTE other XT50 bikes may differ a little with this same tuning configuration as each bike may have a personality of it's own and require a little diffrent settings in the low,Mid and High)

This mod really helped my XT250 run well smoothed her out and gave the bike noticable performance increases in the low,mid and just plain smoothed out top end performance. Again I am very pleased with the outcome and thought I would share as there is not a lot of information concerning performance mods out there on these great little bikes.

I also run a 16 tooth front sprocket not the factory 15 tooth. This gives my XT250 a little more top speed for street riding while still maintaing good lower gears for dirt and trail use. Again this is a personal preference thing for the way I use my XT250.

Forgive me for any spelling errors as typing is not my fortay 🙄

Ride Safe All,

Bill G

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

XT250 pic.jpg

Edited by BILL G

Update to my thread above on the modded air box lid and the Power Commander FC on a Fuel Inj Yamaha XT250.

After spending time on a few long rides the bike ran great and had nice power gains. But and there is always a but, at maintained higher speeds there was some air box noise ( rattle under load) that could be heard it was not real bad but I did not care for it myself and the additional small gains were not worth the rattle noise to me.

(Note)

I have found the XT250 runs 98% as well with the Dyno Jet map that came loaded for the stock XT250 configuration with the stock air box lid. This set up along with the K&N factory replacement air filter had no air box noise at higher speeds and performed very well. ( plus at the end of the day the fuel mileage will be a little better this way)

In summery,

It was a fun experiment but in the big picture Dyno Jet got the map right on for the stock configuration and the bike runs great that way a lot better than stock. What the heck it's only a 250 but the performance gains was worth the cost of the Power Commander FC and the K&N filter.

Happy riding to all,

Bill G

Great post Bill G. I am trying to decide between the Honda and Yamaha 250 dualsports and you are about the only info out there on XT250 EFI tweaking. I think I'll end up with the yamaha.

Edited by bob37748

I'm planning to get a new 2016 Yamaha XT250 and our Yamaha dealer told me that if I did the modifications you described, that doing so would void the factory warranty.

Is he right ?  

I'm not sure what to believe from the salesman as he also wrote me in an email that the bike had a carburetor so he may be full of crap about the warranty.

I could also just wait until the warranty expires before doing the mods you described.  He also told me that just adding a power boosting exhaust would also void the warranty.

I'm now thinking that I'll just leave the bike as stock and just be happy with it.  :banghead:

I think the warranty is only six months. You could ride one season totally stock and see if you like it. by then the warranty would be up and you could do what you want. You could also do what the OP did and save your stock air box lid and exhaust. reinstall them if you need warranty work. Most Yamaha bikes seem to run for years before a problem arises.

I think your salesman is technically wrong, but I can't guarantee it. Your dealer may hassle you even if you are right.

Good Luck!

I think the warranty is only six months. You could ride one season totally stock and see if you like it. by then the warranty would be up and you could do what you want. You could also do what the OP did and save your stock air box lid and exhaust. reinstall them if you need warranty work. Most Yamaha bikes seem to run for years before a problem arises.

I think your salesman is technically wrong, but I can't guarantee it. Your dealer may hassle you even if you are right.

Good Luck!

I just sat on one today in another dealers showroom. It was used for a bike training program and it was a 2015 model.  He made me a pretty good offer for it but I think I'm just going to spring for a 2016 fresh out of the crate. The floor model just looked a bit worn with only 241 miles on it. 

I'm thinking that the only thing I'll do is throw a rack, a skid plate and a pair of hand guards on it.

I'll also be happy when the rear tire needs replaced so I can just go head and put better tires for dirt on it. The stock tires look like crap.

As far as the engine mods go I'm just going to wait and think about it for a while.

I sure like the way the bike felt on the floor just sitting there. I thought I would need a lowering link but after sitting on it I'm bailing on that idea, I don't want to lose any of that ground clearance. 

I had a Suzuki DR 650 for many years and was on tippy toes on that thing, That XT250 has a nice low seat height for having over 11" of clearance and I don't weigh much so that soft suspension may actually be OK for me.  I don't ride all that hard at my age anyway.    :ride:  I just cruise the hills and look for things to photograph. ~♥~

Just came back from my dealer. I liked the XT250, but I am intrigued by the WR250. It's taller than I wanted, but skinny and lite so it doesn't feel to bad.

I had tried the similarly tall DRZ400 and it felt wrong, but it was fatter and weighed more.

Like Rickers mentioned the XT250 felt nice. I can easily flat foot on it.

I'm gonna think about it till Tuesday and get one of the Yamaha 250 bikes.

Just came back from my dealer. I liked the XT250, but I am intrigued by the WR250. It's taller than I wanted, but skinny and lite so it doesn't feel to bad.

I had tried the similarly tall DRZ400 and it felt wrong, but it was fatter and weighed more.

Like Rickers mentioned the XT250 felt nice. I can easily flat foot on it.

I'm gonna think about it till Tuesday and get one of the Yamaha 250 bikes.

I have had my WRR since new in 2008. It has 30K miles on it now,  Almost no maintenance costs (other than tires), and only 1 minor part failure( a EFI sensor).  Great all around D/S with the power to cruise at 70 MPH all day.  The rear suspension as a 1 inch height ajjustment, and the front forks can be moved up in the clamps.  Most riders with an inseam of 31" or more have no trouble with the height.  If you are 29 or 30", there is a "Yamalink" kit to lower the rear even more.  Now that the XT has EFI, it should be trouble free.  The water cooling and long travel suspension put the WRR in a higher class.  If you plan to ride a lot of miles, the WRR is probably worth the extra $$.  My 2 cents.

BluePill- I did end up going with the WR. Both bike looked good, but I felt like the wr was better for me.

Rickers- I think you'll like the XT. It seemed like they were both good bikes, Amazing to get that ground clearance with such a low seat height.

interested as i will be trading my too tall 09 KLX250S on an XT 250, prolly a leftover. i lowered the Kawi but still not as good as a standard XT250 + i like the simple air cooled engine, FI prolly a plus as well!!

Sounds like the XC could be good for you. I nearly went with it. It has a great seat height, but still has good ground clearance. Fuel Injection is nice too.

I promise not to ride on my neighbor's lawns even though they ski through my yard !

lucky you, gotta wait for the snow + cold to go!!!

Yea it's cold and we have a little snow on the ground. I think I'll bring it inside and gaze at it until spring.  :D

i will be trading my too tall, even after lowering 09 KLX250S for the easy riding non water cooled XT250 as soon as the weather breaks! on uneven surfaces a lower bike  is easier to control unless you are tall as i am not

You might get a sweet deal this time of year if you know you're going to trade anyway. Seems like the dealers are more desperate in the winter. Hope you like the XT. It looks like a good bike.

I have a 2017 XT250 with the FMF exhaust and a Dynojet Power Commander. It was tricky trying to find the best adjustments at first. I decided that I was over thinking/analyzing it. Ended up with +7 across the board.  Runs fine.

• Like 1