Sign in to follow this  

xt350 cuts out when letting off the throttle

hello all, long time lurker first post. i bought a xt350 without a title for $300 from a buddy. when i checked out it started easily and ran fairly well. it has about 3500 miles on it and seems in pretty good shape once i got it warmed up i noticed the idle was turned way up and didn't run at high RPMs until i had taken it a a couple blocks. so heres my problem: i'll get it started and let it warm up. it will idle just fine and rev up perfectly. but after i go about a quarter mile once i let off the gas and put it in neutral it will die. even if i dump the clutch and try and let it start with the rolling power it will die on me. it takes about 10 minutes to get it started again and it will do the same thing. i just disassembled the carb and it looks fairly clean but i don't know the most about these carbs. any ideas?

thanks,

cal

Fairly is not good enough . All jets and passages have to be pristine . Be sure there are no air leaks . That includes the connecting tubes between the carbs .

• Like 1

unnamed.jpgunnamed-1.jpg

Fairly is not good enough . All jets and passages have to be pristine . Be sure there are no air leaks . That includes the connecting tubes between the carbs .

should i just disassemble it and remove all rubber and plastic and soak it in degreaser or is it worth buying a carb rebuild kit and using that? heres the carb. not super clean on the outside but the red arrows are pointing to nipples which had no hoses connected to them when i pulled the carb off 

Edited by calimaup

Completely disassemble both garbs . That means leave no two parts / pieces connected .

Flammable brake cleaner does a very good job ( cuts crud quickly and leaves no residue ) . Follow that with ample amounts of compressed air . 

Insure that all passages are clear . And , like I said before , "  Be sure there are no air leaks . That includes the connecting tubes between the carbs . "

Those nipples are a fuel bowl drain / overflow and venting . All tubes can be routed back and down .

I hate this exact issue on my 250 when I first started riding it. It would idle just fine and once I got up to a decent speed the bike would just die. I had already rebuilt the carb 3 times, but it still felt like the bike was starving of fuel. So at this point I took some lengthly measures to make sure the carb was ABSOLUTELY clean.

I took the carb completely apart and left no brass or rubber gaskets in the carb.

I then took the carb bowl, carb top and every brass piece that didn't come in my rebuild kit and soaked it in pine-sol. That sounds weird I know, but most cleaning chemicals for carbs will corrode the metal after an hour or so. And pine-sol, which is an all natural cleaner won't harm the metal at all. So I let it soak, completely submerged in pine-sol, for 3 days. After that I washed the carb and brass pieces in water and blew everything out with compressed air. I then let just the carb soak in carb dip for 30-45 minutes. After that I again washed the carb in water and blew it dry with compressed air. If you don't use compressed air the carb dip will harden and clog up your passages. After all this I put a new rebuild kit on the carb. Checked my float height, set idle and haven't had the bike die since.