Sign in to follow this  

Gusseting Frame Really Necessary?

I've got my bike torn down for this winters project and I'm getting the frame powder coated. Ive read about people putting gussets in their frame for the subframe. Is this necessary or is it only for people carrying lots of heavy luggage?

Yeahhhh, I'm doing all the weight reduction mods. I don't plan on ever carrying much cargo if any. Once in a blue moon I might take a passenger, but I don't even run the passenger pegs normally either. It seems like it might not be needed for me, after all I saw some bolt on frame supports that would be perfect if I decided to really load her up... 

A couple things to consider:

The OEM muffler is one piece and bolted to the frame by three points. Most aftermarket mufflers have a seperate mid pipe and canister and only use two mounting points.

The OEM battery box uses a frame that links the rear of the subframe to the front of the subframe. If the bolts are loose or the owner has removed it, it may create a weakness not present from the factory.

I have over 50,000 miles on mine. No braces, aftermarket muffler, OEM battery box in place and I've carried camping gear into remote areas without fainure.

If you want to add heavy metal panniers (even aluminum panniers are heavy with all the required braces) then braces may be needed, but otherwise, no.

A couple things to consider:

The OEM muffler is one piece and bolted to the frame by three points. Most aftermarket mufflers have a seperate mid pipe and canister and only use two mounting points.

The OEM battery box uses a frame that links the rear of the subframe to the front of the subframe. If the bolts are loose or the owner has removed it, it may create a weakness not present from the factory.

I have over 50,000 miles on mine. No braces, aftermarket muffler, OEM battery box in place and I've carried camping gear into remote areas without fainure.

If you want to add heavy metal panniers (even aluminum panniers are heavy with all the required braces) then braces may be needed, but otherwise, no.

Wow, I didn't consider that at all... You are certainly correct that the OEM is supportive to the sub frame and I am removing the stock muffler and battery box.

I forgot to mention what I think is the most important factor in subframe failure; the rear under fender brace.

That is one of the most removed support devices, especially when the stock tail light is replaced with a more streamlined one or the rear fender is changed for a MX type one.

That under fender frame is very robust, much more so than the stamped steel one used on the XL600R (which has larger diameter subframe tubes anyway, no passenger pegs on the frame on the US models, and a battery on the side of the air box).

I firmly believe the under fender frame links both sides of the subframe together and drastically reduces the twisting that causes failure. Without that frame, there is no solid link between the very rear of the subframe. If a rack is used, that frame may not be needed as much because the rack may offer the same level of support,  maybe not. That under fender frame has maybe four mounting points, two to each side of the subframe. I don't have the bike in front of me right now and it's not one of those things that I look at all the time, I actually forget it's there, it's not seen unless getting under the rear fender. I think it has two mounts on each side and one in the middle, but the middle mounts doesn't connect to the subframe, it's just there for a rack center mount or as stock, the tool bag.

If the bike is looped out, it could get bent, but if the bike is looped out there are probably other concerns. 

Edited by Onederer

Totally depends on your useage.  if you go on adventure trips that require days of gear, camping, food, tools ect..  you need to beef up the sub frame at the triangulation points or you WILL crack the frame. IF you take day trips and strap  a lunch to the rear or dont even put on a rack no problem stock is fine not a problem.

Was doing a few simple maintenance items and noticed my sub frame was cracked in a typical spot on the right side.  just got done today adding some gussets.  have to still add the 2 mounting holes on the right side,  the orginals were hammered bad so just cut them off was better for the gusset anyway.  these sould last me the rest of my natural life.

js640_IMG_1100.jpg

js640_IMG_1101.jpg

• Like 2