Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone I am new to forum and I would like to start a build thread :) here is my 2003 service honda cr 500 af

First order of business tear her down and polish her up. then well not really sure yet was thinking about trying to fit 2015 body work on it (: see how it goes I will post some more pics soon

Edited by Kyle500AF

Love the gold rims. Plan on that with mine... good luck on the body work. Will probably end up with just the front fender and number plate though. Nice bike btw.

Keep a good eye on the weld between the Y and the down tube......

I vote to stay with the gen 3 bodywork. Gen 6 stuff would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Yeah you guys are probably right I was looking at a new honda today and it is significantly different so I am not even waste my time.

I orded blue rad hoses and some red fuel lines and breather hose today so hopefully I can take my bike tomorrow and start polishing and take some pics :)

Awe Sean you really got me thinking about that y piece I hope mine is not cracked lol :/ guess I will find out tomorrow

I am thinking about putting reeds on my bike what kind do you recommend ? And what do you think of reed spacers?

It's prolly fine, don't worry just keep a good eye on it especially if you like to do big jumps.

We'll tore in to her yesterday and cleaned her up.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422338105.678716.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422338136.240254.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422338160.618386.jpg I polished it a bit the pic does not quite justify but she is al ready for the new blue rad hoses and red fuel lines

Just deciding on what type of reeds to go with and should I get spacers ? What do you guys think?

Just deciding on what type of reeds to go with and should I get spacers ? What do you guys think?

It's a 500! You need nothing power wise

backing the reeds out of the cylinder is supposed to reduce turbulence around the boost ports and make for a broader torque curve, a little more low end torque.

most of the ones I seen are in conversions just to help the air box to cylinder connections line up and come together

Keep a good eye on the weld between the Y and the down tube......

+2 on that one, my 2000 CR 500 AF down tube was cracked when I bought it.  That's from a lot of hours of riding.. since it's been fixed by an excellent aluminum welder, I should get at least a few hundred hours out of my frame.

It's a 500! You need nothing power wise

Yes and no.. you don't need more power, just power dampers depending on what kind of riding you do.  I run a 15 oz flywheel weight, G2 throttle cam, Pro Circuit pipe/silencer, and I have several things I still want to do when the time is right.

Kyle500, what kind of riding do you do?

Stock reeds are very good. They doesn't look that cool so psychological power increase is not increased but the real power output is as good with the stock ones :). Hondas technicians were not that dumb after all.

• Like 2

Yes and no.. you don't need more power, just power dampers depending on what kind of riding you do. I run a 15 oz flywheel weight, G2 throttle cam, Pro Circuit pipe/silencer, and I have several things I still want to do when the time is right.

Kyle500, what kind of riding do you do?[/quote

I am kind of an all around rider I go to the track once a week and do the. Occasional race weekend. But I also love going to the dunes and riding in the woods so yeah lol

• Like 1