Sign in to follow this  

My pant leg caught on fire today, any body else have that problem?

I picked up my 07 xr650l 2 weeks ago and I have been riding it to work, short distance, every day. Today I rode it more and in traffic and my right pant leg caught on fire. I have the FMF header and DG muffler. My thinking is it shouldn't get that hot but maybe  I need a heat shield over the pipe?? Thanks- Mike

It definitely gets that hot.  Mine had header wrap on it from the previous owner when I bought it.  It helped but still got pretty hot on my leg.  Not hot enough to catch my pants on fire though.  You can buy header wrap at most auto parts stores.  

I made a heat shield from a Harley Davidson bike's stock heat shield that was a throw away.  I work at a bike shop and we throw away a bunch of them.  You can find one pretty easily near you I'm sure.  I just dug through our junk pile and found one with the right bend.  I think this one came from a touring bike's front head pipe.  I had to flip it upside down and shorten that back a little to clear the frame.  Two hose clamps hold it to the header.  I just scuffed up the chrome and painted it with black ceramic header paint.  It works well and doesn't look bad at all (to me).  It has a nice air gap behind it and stays pretty cool.

20150124_201744.jpg

20150124_201759.jpg

It definitely gets that hot.  Mine had header wrap on it from the previous owner when I bought it.  It helped but still got pretty hot on my leg.  Not hot enough to catch my pants on fire though.  You can buy header wrap at most auto parts stores.  

I made a heat shield from a Harley Davidson bike's stock heat shield that was a throw away.  I work at a bike shop and we throw away a bunch of them.  You can find one pretty easily near you I'm sure.  I just dug through our junk pile and found one with the right bend.  I think this one came from a touring bike's front head pipe.  I had to flip it upside down and shorten that back a little to clear the frame.  Two hose clamps hold it to the header.  I just scuffed up the chrome and painted it with black ceramic header paint.  It works well and doesn't look bad at all (to me).  It has a nice air gap behind it and stays pretty cool.

That looks good! I hope the H-D parts don't slow the Honda down though.

• Like 2

i melted the leg on my rain gear the first time out. carhart pants burn good too. need a heat shield.

I've melted my riding pants in several spots, even through the factory header heat shield. A larger / further away shield or fiberglass header wrap will help.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

Please find out the models that heat shield fits. It fits way better than any other shield I've seen on the aftermarket headers and looks like it was made for it. Those things are the first parts to be thrown away on a Harley, most never make it out of the shop before the bike is picked up, they change the exhaust before the first ride.

Don't forget people, some of use ride in the rain and wear rain gear. Quality rain gear is expensive and they won't just sell a right pants leg. The XL600R and XR600R stock heat shields don't have nearly as much coverage and protection as the stock XR650L heat shield. That thing has a heat reflective backing stuck to it and the bolts have four heat insulating washers to hold it off the actual heat producing surface, but that Harley shield looks really good for an aftermarket solution on the cheap.

Also, the Harley shields are held on with hose clamps from the factory, so it's not a RNE job, it's factory.

Edited by Onederer

Please find out the models that heat shield fits. It fits way better than any other shield I've seen on the aftermarket headers and looks like it was made for it. Those things are the first parts to be thrown away on a Harley, most never make it out of the shop before the bike is picked up, they change the exhaust before the first ride.

The heat shield I used was stock on all Harley Davidson touring bikes from 1998 to 2008.  It is the first heat shield off the head on the rear downpipe.  It is part number 65951-98(a).  The best I can tell I have the XR's only header on my 650L.