China pitbike rear shock on XR100 swinger.

In SWFL the trails are just full of whoops. It's almost annoyingly bad. My main reason for wanting to change it is because the stock XR rear shock is just horrific. As you just try to ride around the back of the bike keeps bouncing all over the place. Trying to huck you right off if you come in a little hot.

Im not spending buku $ on a works shock! Its like 1/2 the price of another whole bike. Eff that time to get custom:)

After looking at some pics of big bikes, The KTM's (until just recently) have mostly all had the rear shock mounted directly to the swingarm with no linkage. So out with the linkage on my XR!

I just ordered this. $110.00 not bad but you do get what you pay for.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371075025207?nav=SEARCH

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422203503.885234.jpg

1100# shock with the increased leverage on the swingarm should be okay. I hope my hillbilly stand back and look at it math is right lol.

Just going to make a new mounting bracket where the linkage was.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422203849.780190.jpg

Whats the worst thing that could happen I mess it all up and have to get a new swinger for 30$

More pics coming once I get home.

Even if it performs SLIGHTLY better I'm happy. What do you guys think waste of time/money? Give it a whirl?

Edited by Nottjbarlow
  • Like 1

That is an excellent idea, especially for the money. 

I've been thinking about modding an xr100 myself, for woods riding; I just won't be cutting or welding anything like that (wish I had those skills).

There is a linkage/knuckle that extends to travel 1-2 inches, and with a cheapo Chinese shock---that should be a nice set up.

By the way.......how old are you, what skill level, what do you weigh?

I am 22, 5'11", 140lbs

I worked as a metal fabricator for 2 years TIG welding anodized aluminum, stainless, mild steel. Using CNC router tables, milling equipment, lathes.... All sorts of fancy and I really miss it. I do IT stuff for work now.

I use my buddies little lincoln 3200hd flux core now. I need an ac/dc TIG really bad. Just tinkering in the garage while I try to kiss äšš my way up that ol' corporate ladder:(

Edited by Nottjbarlow

This is what I ended up with last night. Not all that happy with it but so far so good. The new shock should be here soon enough. Need to trim or recreate the swing arm cross brace because the shock will bind there under a hard compression.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422327170.886015.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422327191.833664.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422327210.235591.jpg

Fixed the clearance issue on my swinger prototype.

When I made this mounting bracket, I made it backwards compatible to use the oem shock or the new one. Still waiting for it to be delivered ugh!

Took it for a test ride today with the stock shock and it worked out okay but way too soft. The 1100lb shock should be just right.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423444390.778552.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423444408.935569.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423444425.047668.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423444439.381238.jpg

She sits a little taller too:)

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423444453.766021.jpg

I would strongly consider swapping the front end on that thing, with the rear jacked up like that it's not going to handle for beans. 

This setup is SO MUCH BETTER!

Still a little soft but a huge improvement on rideabilty. Well worth the money.

I am going to move the shock's lower mounting point closer to the tire to try and stiffen it up a smidgen.

If I tighten the preload down more(like almost all of the way down) is it bad for the shock? It's about halfway now.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423949772.407342.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1423949790.524392.jpg

Edited by Nottjbarlow

Well,

After riding the bike all weekend and putting about eight hours of abuse on the new budget rear suspension I am extremely happy with the results. The rear end feels very solid and so far so good with no stress cracks.

Merry Christmas to anyone who reads this post and is sick and tired of the horrific stock XR100 rear shock. With a good imagination, some fabrication skills, and a MIG Welder you are well on your way to having a much better riding experience without the ridiculous cost of the works shock.

And the best part is zero modification was done to the frame of the bike all changes were made to the swingarm which can easily be replaced for less than 50 bucks.

nice,ive been following your post , i did a simular setup awhile back , I did a cr85 shock w/bbr spring because of the length i had to go all the way up to the bottom of the seat and make a bracket i mounted another bracket on top of the swinger toward the back , it works pretty good , i considered using the shock you got but was concerned about quality. 

how is your sag settings ? are they close to what they should be?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1429419249.041223.jpg

Still holding strong as day one!

If you notice a couple pictures up, the holes at the bottom of the shock mount have been working great at keeping the sand and whatnot from building up.

On 1/25/2015 at 11:42 AM, Nottjbarlow said:

In SWFL the trails are just full of whoops. It's almost annoyingly bad. My main reason for wanting to change it is because the stock XR rear shock is just horrific. As you just try to ride around the back of the bike keeps bouncing all over the place. Trying to huck you right off if you come in a little hot.

Im not spending buku $ on a works shock! Its like 1/2 the price of another whole bike. Eff that time to get custom:)

After looking at some pics of big bikes, The KTM's (until just recently) have mostly all had the rear shock mounted directly to the swingarm with no linkage. So out with the linkage on my XR!

I just ordered this. $110.00 not bad but you do get what you pay for.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371075025207?nav=SEARCH

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422203503.885234.jpg

1100# shock with the increased leverage on the swingarm should be okay. I hope my hillbilly stand back and look at it math is right lol.

Just going to make a new mounting bracket where the linkage was.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422203849.780190.jpg

Whats the worst thing that could happen I mess it all up and have to get a new swinger for 30$

More pics coming once I get home.

Even if it performs SLIGHTLY better I'm happy. What do you guys think waste of time/money? Give it a whirl?

You can get the same shock on this website for less than 80 dollars with the shiping they also have with the same mount . So you dont have to mod you swing arm 

US $36.85  33%OFF | 1000LBS adjustable damping 280mm rear shocks absorber/suspension for 110/125/140/150/160cc KLX110 CRF50/70 Dirt Pit Bikes
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bs72l6TA

Edited by ZUMA DOCTOR REAL MECHANIC