Should I ride in the sand?

I did a sand ride last weekend and upon cleaning up the bike I just couldn't believe how sand gets into every nook and crannie! My pegs and brake lever made a grinding sound when they were moved. The drive chain did too. So, what's the prognosis for the long run? Am I beating the crap out of my bike? Should I stick to the dirt? If I'm going to ride the sand, what do I need to do when I get back? I've already taken off the pegs, brake level/linkage, and shifter. Anything else?

[This message has been edited by Bryan Bosch (edited 05-05-2001).]

Bryan, just clean it real good. I rode my 1986 TT350 which I bought new almost exclusively in desert. It still runs great and the engine is original. Only fork seals and mono rebuilt. My oldest son still uses it! If you don't have one, get a compressor and blow everything off. It is a good way to get into all the nooks and crannies. Good Luck.

I always managed to get sand under the throttle sleeve on the handle bars. Take it off, wipe it down, and add a little litho. I have discovered that if you want to ride in the sand, you have to PLAN to ride in the sand. Wipe off all excess oil, grease and grime. A dry bike is better. I spray my chain with WD40 then wipe it off with a rag real good. I spent $6000 to have a bike to ride. I'll be darned if i'll let a little sand change that. (oh, check your filter always and often). Have fun.

------------------

It's your world, I just play in it!

'00WR, WB E-Series S-Bend w/7 discs, Stock header, throttle stop trimmed, airbox cover removed. Stock jetting. 4500ft.

Sand riding destroys chains/sprockets (non o-ring). Don't know how much longer o-ring will last...

------------------

'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean and Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

We often get miles of deep sand, my water blaster usually takes care of it. Bull dust is another matter. Its fine like talcum only hard. If you are going to ride much sand it may be worth washing down with a good truck wash or solvent degreaser, if your EPA allows, and then relube with a teflon spray like gunshops use. The dry lube doesn't attract dust. My O'ring chain seems to handle sand OK without accelerated wear.

Bryan, Sand is such a blast!!!!! I've had soooo much fun riding in dunes here in CA. As much as I pamper and worship my WR426 I would NEVER take it to the sand. It's just not worth it, the sand really takes it's toll on everything on your bike. Just think about what gets in your engine, your filter can't catch everything. The best thing to do is to buy a used KX500 and put a paddle on it and call it a day. Brian Meadows will probably give you his KX500 for sand riding, perfect!!! Good luck.

Dan