Leatt 5.5 chest protector?

X001.jpg  So how are these or the more expensive ones for sale. ..I was a bit concerned about how hot they might be. I don't wear a neck brace too ..just for info.. Any info would be great.   I'm 6'1" 230lbs.. in case there are guys my size that have this.. or maybe something else with comparable coverage.. just for reference.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I just started using the 5.5 pro last fall, hard to compare it to anything i've used in the past.

The wrap around thing for the ribs is excellent, took a header into a small creek over Christmas and landed on rocks pretty hard, F-ed a small hole in my thigh from a sharp rock thats just healed, but my shoulders and ribs just laughed it off. Normally I screw up my lousy shoulder rotators, no issue at all and ribs never knew what hit 'em. But took the time to adjust it well to fit me prior to trying to destroy it, do not wear any neck brace either.

Can't say about our summer dry heat we get in northern Cali.....yet.

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 1

Yea I'm using a falling apart acerbis zoom 2  extra large chest protector now.. and I'm thinking the 5.5 pro is the next progression but it does look much more hot . That's a big concern around here  although I think I'm one of those that wear the most protection.. or more protection. I risk overheating more and maybe some mobility.  Maybe there's no getting around the added heat unless I sort of retrofit my acerbis somehow or make a chest protector  that might work better for my needs. $200 is damn steep but that's just what the price is these days. Thanks for the input guys.

The mobility thing at least for me is not an issue, once on it does not feel restrictive at all. I bought it for the shoulder and rib protection, and I fell hard unexpectedly on ribs (still have scars where they exited my skin years ago) and right shoulder (repaired) I was laughing as my goggles filled with water from the creek I fell into, that Leatt 5.5 Pro protector is fantastic.

No soreness, other than a small hole through my Klim pants.

I've bought into their kook-aid using the Leatt elbows and knee protectors also! 

• Like 1

The mobility thing at least for me is not an issue, once on it does not feel restrictive at all. I bought it for the shoulder and rib protection, and I fell hard unexpectedly on ribs (still have scars where they exited my skin years ago) and right shoulder (repaired) I was laughing as my goggles filled with water from the creek I fell into, that Leatt 5.5 Pro protector is fantastic.

No soreness, other than a small hole through my Klim pants.

I've bought into their kook-aid using the Leatt elbows and knee protectors also! 

Yea I'm leaning into getting it.. but it's easy now since the temps are mild.. In summer I might feel dumb buying if it's too hot  but I'm all for the protection and the comfort like you say. I did notice that there are no sales on these either.. Thanks!!

Ok I just found this... This explains more.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

That was a good vid. I liked the point he made about the trade off between being a bit hot vs better protection. We've all experienced bruised or broken ribs - not pleasant at all!! Think I'm gonna look into one myself.

• Like 1

Yea I'm leaning into getting it.. but it's easy now since the temps are mild.. In summer I might feel dumb buying if it's too hot  but I'm all for the protection and the comfort like you say. I did notice that there are no sales on these either.. Thanks!!

Ok I just found this... This explains more.

Yeah that's the same model I bought from Brian at Atomic-Moto. He never likes shoulder protection on other chest protectors they sell also, not sure why as I use a hydration pack and find the shoulder protection on the 5.5 HD Pro does not interfere with it. 

• Like 1

He never likes shoulder protection on other chest protectors they sell also, not sure why as I use a hydration pack and find the shoulder protection on the 5.5 HD Pro does not interfere with it. 

Agreed - I too like the shoulder protection, have never had an issue wearing my hydration pack with any of the chest protectors I've worn.

Agreed - I too like the shoulder protection, have never had an issue wearing my hydration pack with any of the chest protectors I've worn.

Me neither - but that's due to the fact that it is zip tied to the back plate. I don't like messing with both when removing and have done this on my last three CP's, plus the fact they are not bouncing around. When motocrossing (the very few times a year that I do) I just empty out all but a small amount, then I can suck on it to remove the dry mouth that I seem to get just before the start.

• Like 1

We have some big enduros coming up so Ive spent the last couple of weeks looking at the different types of protection.

Where I live it is bloody hot, 30-40c , friends of mine run with the body armour and elbow guards, which do have good ventilation, I wanted something easy to get on/off and all over protection .

I ended going for a 661 Pressure suit, affordable, cool and great allround protection. I dont have to have sepearte elbow guards etc.

Not sure if either is better but i prefer the pressure suit.

sixsixone-2014-rage-pressure-suit.jpg

• Like 1

We have some big enduros coming up so Ive spent the last couple of weeks looking at the different types of protection.

Where I live it is bloody hot, 30-40c , friends of mine run with the body armour and elbow guards, which do have good ventilation, I wanted something easy to get on/off and all over protection .

I ended going for a 661 Pressure suit, affordable, cool and great allround protection. I dont have to have sepearte elbow guards etc.

Not sure if either is better but i prefer the pressure suit.

sixsixone-2014-rage-pressure-suit.jpg

This looks good. I bought a couple of fox copy pressure suit type chest protector types a couple of years ago.. forgot.. . I bought 2 from 2 different companies..They were pretty cheap too!.. one said 3x and the other said 4x but when I put it on  I looked like jethrow putting on my little daughters clothes.. They were small... xl shirt size or smaller and I'm 2xl size..with a belly.. not a good picture.. ?  I think I still have those in the closet.. Thanks for reminding me . I was going to give them to my friends.. but maybe I can deconstruct and construct again to see if I can make it fit..or adapt to my acerbis? idk.. either I can try to attack it doing it myself or it can go to our local korean seamstress that has done an awesome job refurbishing my ripped klim pants.. She is great..  I'll also start taking a look at pressure suits that are available now to check those out again too. I do like how the leatt one looks though.

• Like 1

I have the 661 armored shorts. Originally bought and used them under Kevlar jeans on the street. Now I wear them all the time off road. That pressure suit looks asphalt oriented with the large spine pad.

X001.jpg  So how are these or the more expensive ones for sale. ..I was a bit concerned about how hot they might be. I don't wear a neck brace too ..just for info.. Any info would be great.   I'm 6'1" 230lbs.. in case there are guys my size that have this.. or maybe something else with comparable coverage.. just for reference.

i have the full 5.5 upper body armor, and the pro neck brace.

yeah, you are gonna be warmer with this stuff on. so?

my wife just got an involuntary promotion to a VP position with

the firm she works for.

why? her boss, a triathlete, was riding his mountain bike on a

trail in newport beach, and woke up three weeks later in intensive

care, as a quadriplegic.  no other vehicles or people involved.

he's a national level competition rider.

maybe rethink the neck brace? btw, the leatt upper body protection

integrates with the neck protector seamlessly.

• Like 2

@hawaiidirtrider - I have found sizing difficult also, I usually wear a medium t-shirt and the company I bought the suit from recommended Large, so I guess they are a bit smaller in sizing.

The Leatt pressure suit does look pretty awesome ? But it was another $150 so I went the cheaper option. 

These suits below seem to cater for larger sizes.

EVS G6 BALLISTIC JERSEY PRESSURE SUIT

Sizes Available: XL L M S 3XL 4XL 2XL
$199.95

the firm she works for.

Hows them knee braces? Still waiting for your review.

the firm she works for.

All true words, after my fall this winter I rethought my rationalization on the Leatt neck brace. It's on my short list of stuff to get....

Hows them knee braces? Still waiting for your review.

they have not moved since july. i've been doing 6

and 7 day weeks since august with my work.

i should just mail them to you, and you can tell me if i'll like them.

haven't tossed a leg over the bike since kennedy meadows in mid july.

i'm pooped. and i've got three months more work before i get a break.

the firm she works for.

I wanted to but actually where I ride the leatt makes riding more dangerous.. There's a lot of ducking and having to have your upper body flexible to maneuver around trees. rocks,..and offcambers etc where you have to contort your body otherwise you go off cliffs or other real dangerous situations... I had tried just using the neck roll type and almost killed myself a few times...as I wanted to get a leatt neck brace in the past.... If I was racing mx or anything wide open I'd go that route though..