Sign in to follow this  

Starting-doing it right

Have recently bought a 2010 450 exc am when starting it the choke doesn't seem to work. Tried starting it cold with choke out wouldn't start but with choke in and hit of the throttle started straight away.

It will also not idle with the choke on as soon as the choke is pulled on it dies. Pulled the carby off and cleaned it and one of the jets seemed blocked, put it back together and started it, it started and ran with the choke on so I thought it was all good. Started it about 15 mins later and the choke was useless again.

Do I have a problem or Am I using the choke wrong on this bike, All my other bikes I started it with the choke let it run for a min then take the choke off and away went. Any opinions would be appreciated thanks

Replace the pilot jet, don't clean it

Clear the passage above the piliot jet with fishing line and spray cleaner

When you pull the float bowl, if there is any corrosion, pull the carb and service it

This includes the hot start and choke plunger, and especially the hot start nut (they crack)

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/protips/141_0707_keihin_fcr_carb_rebuild/

Inspect the tank for debris

Yes am using the choke, the carby seemed pretty clean but I may have to replace the jet like you said. The bike runs great that is the only problem. I cleaned the tank and strainer when I had the tank out.