Sign in to follow this  

230 front fender swap

Has anyone swapped the stock fender with a 250r or something? I've seen people put a 150r front fender on a 150f but I assume that would be too small for a 230.

The 230F and 150F are the same, so if the 150R fender worked on the 150F it will also work on the 230F. Pretty much any Honda fender is going to work on a 230F. I use a trimmed CRF250X fender on mine because it casts much less of a headlight shadow than the original 230F fender.

The 230F and 150F are the same, so if the 150R fender worked on the 150F it will also work on the 230F. Pretty much any Honda fender is going to work on a 230F. I use a trimmed CRF250X fender on mine because it casts much less of a headlight shadow than the original 230F fender.

Good to know. Thanks.. Frickin jim?!

Supposedly the newer 450r front fenders bolt on to the 230. Found a thread on crfsonly. Think Ima give it a shot.

Supposedly the newer 450r front fenders bolt on to the 230. Found a thread on crfsonly. Think Ima give it a shot.

Yes but if you look at the shape of the 230 front it has 1 "hill" where as the 450r has 2.

Yes but if you look at the shape of the 230 front it has 1 "hill" where as the 450r has 2.

So if you bottom the suspension you'll hit the tire?

So if you bottom the suspension you'll hit the tire?

It shouldn't do. You shouldn't be bottoming out anyway if you are, either adjust your forks or put heavier oil in but keep in mind whatever you do with the front you have to do with the back or you will be bouncing everywhere with your rear in the air. What kind of riding do you do?

Not a direct bolt on.  The newer 250/450R fenders with the step in them do not have the same bolt hole pattern.  I have a 2013 CRF450R front fender on my 230 but had to drill new holes and use the spacers differently.  Looks baller and provides lots more mud protection as it extends down lots farther than the OE 230F front fender.

It shouldn't do. You shouldn't be bottoming out anyway if you are, either adjust your forks or put heavier oil in but keep in mind whatever you do with the front you have to do with the back or you will be bouncing everywhere with your rear in the air. What kind of riding do you do?

I was just wondering how the "hill" difference affected the bike. I ride trails mainly but I hit the track every once and a while with my buddies. Haven't had an issue with the bike bottoming out.

Not a direct bolt on. The newer 250/450R fenders with the step in them do not have the same bolt hole pattern. I have a 2013 CRF450R front fender on my 230 but had to drill new holes and use the spacers differently. Looks baller and provides lots more mud protection as it extends down lots farther than the OE 230F front fender.

Got a picture?

I was just wondering how the "hill" difference affected the bike. I ride trails mainly but I hit the track every once and a while with my buddies. Haven't had an issue with the bike bottoming out.

It wouldn't but why do you want to change it? I'd leave it because if you get graphics like I did, you would have to buy 2 sets because you have parts off different bikes. And by the way, that picture is old. I have a lot more on my bike now. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422827380.620986.jpg

Nice and clean looking bike!

But the header pipe kind of spoils the look....

• Like 1

So if I were to go with the 450r fender how much trouble is it to mount?

Redrill the 4 mounting holes as they are spaced differently front to back.  Might have just been 2 that needed to be redrilled, I don't remember exactly.

Cut out U-shaped notches in the side where the fork boots would rub.

I used the OE fender spacers and a couple of washers to shim the back of the fender down a bit to better clear the frame.

If you are handy and like to mod stuff, it isn't any big deal.

If you aren't, it might be aggravating.

Up thru 2008 CRF450R and 2009 CRF250R should bolt right on, same bolt pattern.  May have to shim the back, not sure, I haven't tried one of those yet.  They are flat where the fender mounts to the triple and don't have a step in front of the number plate.

Like this-

28611_0_14_3_crf250r_Image%20credits%20-

versus this-

30117_0_4_3_crf250r_Image%20credits%20-%

Redrill the 4 mounting holes as they are spaced differently front to back. Might have just been 2 that needed to be redrilled, I don't remember exactly.

Cut out U-shaped notches in the side where the fork boots would rub.

I used the OE fender spacers and a couple of washers to shim the back of the fender down a bit to better clear the frame.

If you are handy and like to mod stuff, it isn't any big deal.

If you aren't, it might be aggravating.

Up thru 2008 CRF450R and 2009 CRF250R should bolt right on, same bolt pattern. May have to shim the back, not sure, I haven't tried one of those yet. They are flat where the fender mounts to the triple and don't have a step in front of the number plate.

Like this-

28611_0_14_3_crf250r_Image%20credits%20-

versus this-

30117_0_4_3_crf250r_Image%20credits%20-%

I see, thank you! Yeah I think this would be a fun project.