Sign in to follow this  

Riding balls.

Once you start hitting one big jump, all big stuff becomes pretty easy.

• Like 1

Everyone has some fear when they ride or race or they wouldn't be human Think about this simple test for a moment.  If we have two people, Chuck and Tim, Chuck is normal regarding heights but Tim is afraid of heights.  We have a strong board that is twelve feet long and eight inches wide.  We extend this board 3 feet off the ground and have Chuck and Tim walk across it for $10.00.  No problem, one at a time they both stand at the end of the board with relaxed muscles, steady concentration looking out in front of them at the board and walk across it easily for the $10.00.  Then we extend the board 50 feet in the air between two buildings and ask Chuck and Tim to walk across it for $100.00.  Chuck is first; he stands at the edge of the board ready to walk across it.  Chuck has just enough fear to turn on all his senses, and he is 100% concentrating on his goal, walking across that board.  He makes it no problem and collects an easy $100.00.

Tim is next as he stands at the end of the board, his breathing is short and shallow, his muscles begin to tighten, the palms of his hands become wet and clammy, he feels a lump in his throat and Tim’s concentration is interrupted with thoughts of falling to his death or serious injury.  Tim’s fear makes his goal of walking across the board much more difficult.  Objects are those frightful things you see when you take your mind off your goals.  It’s the same kind of thing when it comes to riding or racing; too much fear and mental distractions makes you perform much worst and are more likely to be injured. 

If anyone tells you that they don’t have any fear at all when they ride or race they are not being honest with themselves or you.  Everyone has at least just a little bit of fear when they put that helmet on.  And besides, if they didn’t have any fear at all they wouldn’t be able to perform as well.  Remember, just a little bit of fear is enough to make it important enough to kick in the primordial juices without getting too much fear to tighten you up.  So how does one produce just the right amount of fear without red lining the fear factor?  Well, I don’t think anyone has a problem with not having enough fear.  The question is how does one not have too much fear while racing?   In short the answer is confidence.  The dictionaries’ definition of confidence is; trust, reliance, self-assurance.  Know your limits, don't take any unnecessary chances and stay in the zone, the zone of being in the  moment and keeping 100% concentration on what you are doing. 

• Like 4

Well said Gary. In my previous post i said i quit racing due to fear. The fear i was experiencing was due to seeing a friend lay in a hospital bed in a coma for almost 3 months. After his crash i raced 3 more times. Mid race i could picture him laying there. on the 3rd race i finally pulled off the track, knowing that i was a danger to myself and others on the track, since i could not concentrate on what was in front of me.

• Like 1

Again , thank you all for the great feedback. I was out at the track today. I used a lot of different tips you guys mentioned. I focused on breathing , body placement , and really worked on being in the attack position on the bike. I found the more i thought about the things I can control , the less i thought about everything else. Granted , didn't hit the 100ft double , but I did hit some sections rather well today that i had been struggling with prior. 

Thanks again for the words of wisdom , and Gary that was a perfect example. 

Edited by RM125XxX
  • Like 3