Sign in to follow this  

So I messed up...

I have been just catching up on some maintenance on my 500 exc. what I just realized is that on the brake and clutch masters it said dot 4 or dot 5.1

I did not think any thing of it and bought dot 5 and bled both systems and put in the dot 5.

What should my next move be?

Is just getting some 5.1 and flushing out the 5 good enough?

I read that the 5 will eat away my break lines and isn't mix compatible with dot 4, hopefully I havnt done any harm.

I would drain the resevoir and fill with the right fluid and bleed half a bottle or so thru it, I don't think it woulda done too much harm unless been in the bike for a long period of time

Thanks for the reply, I'll be switching too 5.1 if I can find it, but I researched it, it's not going to do any harm, it's the mixing of silicone and glycol

DOT 5 won't eat you brake lines... It will, however, cause your master cylinder and caliper seals to swell.

Do several flushes of DOT 3,4 or 5.1 and hope for the best

• Like 1

DOT 5 won't eat you brake lines... It will, however, cause your master cylinder and caliper seals to swell.

Do several flushes of DOT 3,4 or 5.1 and hope for the best

thanks for the reply, ya thats what ive read too. stupid me!

thanks for the reply, ya thats what ive read too. stupid me!

If it's any consolation, I've always thought the DOT 5.1 designation was absolutely stupid. If nothing else, "4.1" would have made more sense.

If it's any consolation, I've always thought the DOT 5.1 designation was absolutely stupid. If nothing else, "4.1" would have made more sense.

Hahaha, so im not the only one! That was a seriously stupid designation, imo it should be dot "S" for silicone, and dot 4.1 instead of 5.1.

Oh well ill get it fixed up and, lesson learned i suppose.

Hahaha, so im not the only one! That was a seriously stupid designation, imo it should be dot "S" for silicone, and dot 4.1 instead of 5.1.

Oh well ill get it fixed up and, lesson learned i suppose.

Yeah a lot of people have been confused, its just something I learned when it first came out several years ago. The KTM is the first bike Ive actually used it, cause it is expensive over dot 4. I bought a 1/2 quart of Motul 5.1 from Motorcycle super store. Only thing I don't like its a big mouth bottle.

ok but as the dot specifies dot 4 will have a 40 degree C difference in boiling point vs dot 5.1 fluid, wet or dry... seems much superior too me, even if i dont use them too that extent.

ok but as the dot specifies dot 4 will have a 40 degree C difference in boiling point vs dot 5.1 fluid, wet or dry... seems much superior too me, even if i dont use them too that extent.

True for minimum specifications. Most quality DOT4 fluids meet or exceed 5.1 boiling point standards, particularly those for the motorsports market

Considering the amount of fluid in the KTM(a spit in the bucket puny) I'll stick to the 5.1. and really that's the only reason I didn't use dot 4 that I had on hand.

I did drain and refill my clutch reservoir and did bleed and flush the rear brake, haven't touched the front fluid yet but its on the agenda.

The other problem is the fact the cap doesn't say 4 or 5.1, it says 4-5.1. Reading literally that could include 5.0. Bad wording that is almost as bad as the 5.1 designation itself.

The other problem is the fact the cap doesn't say 4 or 5.1, it says 4-5.1. Reading literally that could include 5.0. Bad wording that is almost as bad as the 5.1 designation itself.

Holy crap your right, i never thought of that, making me feel less and less dumb for this mistake. =)

On the other hand, i finished all the breaks/clutch, and compared to when i bought it used everythings soo fantastically tight and firm. I came from a wr250x with a cable clutch and thought it was nice in comparison, but the new fluid blows my mind lol. 

I'd like to ask the felows that have replied here, what break pads are you guys running? stock. sintered, or organic? i have about a 1/4" left on the front and back, just wondering what you guys run for what type of terrain also. 

Thanks a bunch too all that have replied, i appreciate it immensely. -Matt