Sign in to follow this  

02 f150 front end rebuild

Well took my truck for an alignment( basically so they could tell me what's wrong ) and they said almost everything. So I'm going to order some moog parts from rock auto( recommend I'm open to suggestions) 

This is what is getting done 

1. new upper control arms with ball joints pressed in

2. new pitman arm ( most worn out part on the truck )

3. new idler arm ( comes in second ) also I saw  these have two bolt patterns I measured mine to be the 2.73in but was wondering if there was a better way to confirm that my half ass measuring skills

4. new inner and outter tie rods ends ( not worn out but I said why not )

5. I was thinking of doing the lower ball joints but heard how annoying they were plus mine don't show signs they are worn out and they do have grease fittings lending me that they have been replaced before

any recommendations hints or tips on this little project of mine are greatly appreciated

I did some of the design work on the front suspension for the F150.  Some of the parts could have been designed better.  In regards to some of your questions, of the aftermarket guys, Moog has been typically the best.  They maintain decent quality standards.  A lot of the low cost parts come out of China where quality control is spotty, especially heat treat controls on the metal parts.  I agree that if you are going to work on the front end, you might as well as replace most of the parts if you are going to keep the truck for any length of time.  Your biggest challenge will be breaking the taper locks on the ball joints and steering joints.  One of the better ways of doing this, is to place a hammer on one side of knuckle and then rap the other side with another hammer.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1

It sounds like you are doing all the right parts and are not cheaping out. There are lots of Youtube videos out there for Ford front end rebuilds. If you get stuck with ball joints most automotive machine shops are really not that expensive to do the press work.