Sign in to follow this  

Why Did You Choose the CRF230?

I was trading emails with The Goat and he reminded me of one of the reasons I chose the CRF230.

After spending a lot of time riding my buddy's 1997 XR250 I knew for sure that bike was not for me.  I spent some time on a WR250 and I knew for sure that bike was not for me.  I was really stuck and didn't know what to do.  These are two bikes that should be great and I hated each of them.  Apparently Al Baker's work had spoiled me beyond repair.

I thought I would get an XR200 and modify it or buy back my 1984 Al Baker XR265.  Neither choice was great.  The XR200 would need to be an older version with long travel and adjustable shock and would, most likely, need a lot of attention. The Al Baker XR265 was still in excellent condition but 84/85 engine parts are almost impossible to find and the engine was just WAY too much for what I needed.

I had come across the CRF230 many times through the years and laughed at it every time I saw it.  I always thought to myself "What in the world has Honda done to the poor XR200?  Electric start?  No kicker?  9:1?  What a beater!"

While working out of town I came across this video: 

I came back from out of town Friday and picked the bike up from the dealer that night.

The rest is all here in ThumperTalk...

I've seen that video before and yes it is somewhat proof that a good rider can push a basic trail bike beyond

it's intended usage but, can be misleading to the novice buyer thinking that a CRF230F is almost a motocross.

If ridden mostly on an MX track, reliability and suspension component wear/damage will eventualy remind you

that you're pushing it beyond it's design limits. No matter how good a rider you are or, how much you spend

on upgraded parts, just don't expect it to perform like a motocross on an MX track.

With certainty the CRF230 is a great bike for it's intended usage which is recreational off-roading.

Edited by mlatour

I traded 3standup gas powered for my first 05 150f straight across. Never looked back.

I used to be a "Santa Cruz Boxer" scooter dealer for 5 years. (American Made in San Jose CA.) We also sold "BladeZ"and "Tanaka" scooters and Micro Karts.

All engines were made in Japan but one of the best "Active" was made in Italy.

Then I found out about TT right after searching the inter web for "CRF 150f performance" and joined TT and learned as much as possible. (like a good Newbie should)

Now I have three bikes and 5 engines, all 250's . One is a BBR team MX bike from 2005.

Two engines were originally built by Coe. One was originally built by EO.

The others were built by me. Only one is electric start. But I have almost all the parts for a electric start conversion on another.

All my kick start bikes have Coe HD kick start gears, one has an EO compression release with Coe gears.

Waiting for for my 4mm crank from Powroll to be completed. Then will send in another crank for a 6mm with a 200 rod. Those two cranks will be paired with 70mm pistons. One off Miller cams will be installed with Custom built reverse cone Exhaust systems.

Building them is as much fun as riding them. The kick start 150f engines are the funnest of all. Electric start flywheel is way to heavy to unleash the engines true fun factor.

When you lighten a 230 crank to be lighter than a 150 crank and then mate that to a 150f flywheel that's as light as possible in a fully modified 250, the sound is like that of a 06-newer CRF150R but with another 8hp. Unbelievable until you ride it. Brutally and abruptly fast.

Real head turner, people ask questions. Then they say why? (Meaning why not just ride a 250r)

I say you just have to ride on yourself to believe how fun it is.

Of course Mike Coe knew all about them back in 2003, so it's nothing new.

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 2

For me, I went chose for the simple reason, I got burned out on MX bikes false promise! A man choose his weapon by his ability.

In the OutBack am I really gonna be R.C or a James Steward?

NOPE!

I picked the 230f because i wanted a trail bike good for camping. And an intermediate/beginner bike. I also like the bomb proof reliability of the air cooled honda.

That's pretty much why I bought one.  I'll be buying a second one in about a year when my son completely outgrows his XR100r.

I bought one for my son back in 2005 when I bought myself a CRF250X.

that 230 was a blast to ride. He outgrew it and I sold it. My ability was far below the capability of the 250X and I sold it and moved down to a KLX350 big bore bike. I LOVE TORQUE. Being short and old, the weight and height of the KLX became a chore in the woods.

I kept thinking about that 230 more and more how it was a great woods bike and I found one that I was able to title for street use with blown out suspension for a reasonable price. I have now addressed the suspension and have about $2500 in the bike. If needed, I am going to up the compression and go for a cam and chain. I hope to have a perfect woods weapon for under $3K when done.

I've always rode 2-stroke dirt bikes and still do. I took a chance and purchased a used 230f on a whim and I love it. It's a very "calm" and forgiving bike (unlike my yz). I'm gonna keep her.

It was just the next step up in Honda's trail bike line. Started as a kid... XR100 > CRF150F > CRF230F. Right after I got it, someone told me I couldn't be fast on that type of bike. Challenge accepted. 

Now I've moved on from racing to exploring and adventuring, because someone told me I could not make it on long trips with the 230. Challenge accepted. I've found it to be unbeatable for long adventures, so I'll be keeping it forever now. I'm not kidding about forever. I want to have this thing in my grave, because this is the bike I would trust to ride through the gates of Hell.

• Like 2