2004 to 2011-1015 Plastic Conversion

I bought a 2004 200sx last year and really wanted to update the look to the current 11-15 plastics.  I need to search for the 'before ' picture of the bike,  but I bought it for $600 with a cracked case, spray painted plastics, covered in Metal Mulisha stickers with a big mary j sticker on the front number plate (you get the idea).  

After having a hard time finding sources on how people have done this I decided to do a mini write up on what I needed to do to complete it.

Parts:

Subframe 11-15 sx or sxf, I used a 2011 350sxf off ebay.

Gas Tank 11-15 sx, I used a 2013 250sx off ebay.

Seat 11-15 sxf (some newer xc/xcw models too) I used a 2014 450 xc off craigslist.

Airboot 11 125sx, stock airboot was very close to working for me but this fit perfect, not sure about boots from 12-15 sx bikes with linkage

Plastic my wife liked the OEM 2012 sx look the best and it is technically her bike :).

I originally thought I could just cut slots into the original upper subframe mount, but it ended up making the length too short and the seat wouldn't fit properly. I ended up welding a 2 inch piece of tubing to back of the original mount and everything lined up perfectly. 

IMG_20150206_094535.jpg

The bottom left mount of the new subframe needed to be shortened.  I cut it off right above the factory mount and drilled a new hole.  The right side I used the factory hole in the subframe.

The shrouds didn't line up so I temporally used metal tape to make bracket to bolt them on.  I will eventually make aluminum tabs that I will rivet onto the radiator braces, to make the mount stronger.

IMG_20150206_094734.jpg

The silencer ended up not lining up with the new subframe but was pretty close.  I made some little brackets that i used to bolt it to the subframe, I was worried it would look bad, but you don't notice unless you look under the fender.

IMG_20150206_165806.jpg

I have been very pleased on how it turned out, only thing left is eventually I want to update the clutch and ignition covers to the more recent ones and figure out what to get as far as exhaust pipes go, I had to blow out the original and it doesn't look as good as the rest of the bike. :)

IMG_20150206_165726.jpg

IMG_20150206_165901.jpg

Edited by mx21
  • Like 8

WOW! That came out really good. I had to do a double take to pick out the differences in the frame and swingarm.  You... errr I mean your wife, should be happy with it..... 

• Like 1

Damn that's tight! I just bought a 2004 300MXC 2 weeks ago. Not sure I have the will to do the conversion, but good to see what is possible with some thought and $$

• Like 2

WOW! That came out really good. I had to do a double take to pick out the differences in the frame and swingarm.  You... errr I mean your wife, should be happy with it..... 

Thanks, I like to use my wife as an excuse to get stuff I want.  I had to keep reminding her this was all for her :)

Damn that's tight! I just bought a 2004 300MXC 2 weeks ago. Not sure I have the will to do the conversion, but good to see what is possible with some thought and $$

Thanks, once I figured out all I needed to do was weld the piece of tubing on the bracket the project became a lot easier.  And it didnt end up being too pricey as I got good deals on used stuff, and was actually able to make some money back by selling my old stuff.

did the gas tank bolt up? or did you need to modify the frame to fit?  I wonder how this would work with a 2008+ style frame

did the gas tank bolt up? or did you need to modify the frame to fit?  I wonder how this would work with a 2008+ style frame

No the tank bolted right up, no modifications needed.  I think it would work for the 2008+,  plus I think it has the updated subframe compared to my model.  I'm not positive on that though.

Man, I give you a lot of respect for this build. Most ask if it can be done and then give up, instead you just went right out and did it! The results are outstanding! Very awesome and congrats!

• Like 1

Great job.  I'd like to update my 05' 300 EXC, but am not nearly as ambitious as you.  I think I will buy some white vinyl and cover a bit of the orange. 

I'm curious; do you know what the total cost of the parts was?   

Great job.  I'd like to update my 05' 300 EXC, but am not nearly as ambitious as you.  I think I will buy some white vinyl and cover a bit of the orange. 

I'm curious; do you know what the total cost of the parts was?   

I don't like to list it all out, then I see how much I spent haha. I spent a few months on eBay trying to find good deals, some were better than others.  

Gast tank: $120

Subframe/Airbox/Filter: $100

Seat: $40

Airboot: $35

Plastics: $85

Total: $380 .... but hey at least it looks good right 👍 .

I have already made back $100 from selling some of the old parts, to make me feel better.

• Like 1

I don't like to list it all out, then I see how much I spent haha. I spent a few months on eBay trying to find good deals, some were better than others.  

Gast tank: $120

Subframe/Airbox/Filter: $100

Seat: $40

Airboot: $35

Plastics: $85

Total: $380 .... but hey at least it looks good right 👍 .

I have already made back $100 from selling some of the old parts, to make me feel better.

That's not bad at all, and your bike looks fantastic.  It's really cool that you documented & listed the upgrades for the benefit of everyone else who wants to do it too. 

I have an 04 250sx that I'd love to try this on, and a 05 525exc that I'm wondering if this would work on. May have to try it.

Turned out good. though i think the 05-06 range are the best looking KTMs, the 2015s are looking better.

Looks great... One thing you can look into, and I have done it on my rad shrouds.. Check out Shane Watts you tube vid.. 

It will save having to mess around with rivets and hangers for your shrouds... Saves your shrouds in a crash as well...

• Like 1

Looks great... One thing you can look into, and I have done it on my rad shrouds.. Check out Shane Watts you tube vid.. 

It will save having to mess around with rivets and hangers for your shrouds... Saves your shrouds in a crash as well...

Cool tip thanks!

Hello MX21...got a couple of Q's. This build got me all excited and inspired to do the same but for a 2003 200mxc.

If you don't mind giving me a couple of tips. doing this.

1) any gap measurment of the 2 inch tubing welded from the frame?

2) what bolt size did you use?

3)when you said the "stock air boot almost fit" did you mean the old air boot from the 04 airbox or the stock boot from the '11 airbox?

4)what's the ususal cost of powder coating that frame?

TIA man...I have the subframe seat and tank already so just a matter of getting it done.

Hello MX21...got a couple of Q's. This build got me all excited and inspired to do the same but for a 2003 200mxc.

If you don't mind giving me a couple of tips. doing this.

1) any gap measurment of the 2 inch tubing welded from the frame?

2) what bolt size did you use?

3)when you said the "stock air boot almost fit" did you mean the old air boot from the 04 airbox or the stock boot from the '11 airbox?

4)what's the ususal cost of powder coating that frame?

TIA man...I have the subframe seat and tank already so just a matter of getting it done.

Cool man, good luck with your build!!

1) I welded the tubing right against the frame with no gap.

2) I think the bolt was a 5/16th, I'll check when I get home, if its different I'll let you know.

3) I meant the stock '04 boot. It was a 1/2 inch too short to fit over the carb, I could barely stretch it over and clamp it on but was too nervous to leave     it like that, and the new boot fit so nice anyways.

4) I spray painted mine.  I want to eventually powder coat it, but wasn't ready to pay for that quite yet. I did take my time and sanded the frame etc and it ended up very nice actually.  We will see how it holds up. 

Thanks man... the 2 friends helping me out to do this was blown away when I showed them this thread.

They too are tripping out that this could be done. I'll post up pics when all done to show the appreciation.

• Like 1