Sign in to follow this  

Where does one go to find parts

Where does one go to find parts for these machines?

Im scared to death to by an older bike early 2000,s 

Its not like rocky mountain tav carries this stuff or you can walk into a local dealer.

What is the preferred online place for parts guys?

I buy tires from rocky mountain. I try to look on Ebay or Amazon for patrs first, then usually its Lewisport. Your in Colorado so Prob the same thing, esp for Gas Gas.

Jack's Cycles in Maine, I think? Stu is great to deal with. Mike at the Tryals Shop (www.tryalsshop.com) has been great to deal with also. Lewisport is okay. Ryan Young Products has been good to me as well......

There are a number of guys in the club I belong to that own & ride older GasGas bikes (circa model year 2000 or so). They seem to be able to get parts to keep their bikes goin' alright....

Jimmie

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas, its pretty crappy that these awesome bikes are not more popular. Im hesitant to even get into a new bike it seems. 

If you can't get parts for a bike that is less then 6 or 7 years old thats pretty sad

You can walk into a honda dealer and get a set of brake pads for a 1987 honda 250r all say long. Just doenst make sense. 

Even if you bought a brand new top of the line bike it seems like getting parts is tuff. God forbid someone have to redo a motor on an older bike. It seems like anything older then 2005 is considered vintage in this sport. It kinda sucks because it makes me hesitant to by a bike in the 2-3500 price range if you can't service it. 

I was just looking at that 2004 locally. ITs ugly as sin. All silver. 

Just for kicks, i was wondering if you could get new plastics for it. No where to be found

Hence why i was asking where you guys are getting parts for these machines

Thanks for all the ideas!

You just don't see crashes that often in trials. Most of the guys I ride with have rode for years or they are older and ultra conservative so they don't break fenders, unlike me who has been trying to jump the learning curve asap! I noticed Lewisport had practice fenders on sale a while ago for $70 bucks. If you're going into trials thinking it makes good economic sense think again!

You just don't see crashes that often in trials. Most of the guys I ride with have rode for years or they are older and ultra conservative so they don't break fenders, unlike me who has been trying to jump the learning curve asap! I noticed Lewisport had practice fenders on sale a while ago for $70 bucks. If you're going into trials thinking it makes good economic sense think again!

Not really much to do with economics I just bought a brand new KTM 2015. This is purely a second bike for me to fart around with. It won't be my primary ride

Owning a trials rig in the US is like owning a McLaren or Ferrari.

You have to accept the fact that they are relativly rare, few dealers, high prices, and a wait for some parts.

On the up side, these bikes offer a super lightweight package that outperforms most riders capabilities when ridden as designed.

If you can afford a newer bike, chances are you will not need repairs for many years. Maintenence parts are a phone call and UPS wait.

• Like 1

Owning a trials rig in the US is like owning a McLaren or Ferrari.

You have to accept the fact that they are relativly rare, few dealers, high prices, and a wait for some parts.

On the up side, these bikes offer a super lightweight package that outperforms most riders capabilities when ridden as designed.

If you can afford a newer bike, chances are you will not need repairs for many years. Maintenence parts are a phone call and UPS wait.

Yep, totally agree! I wish i could afford a newer one :)

Something about the brand new KTM in the garage prevents that :) I know what your saying though. Its a shame this sport has not picked up more here. I like the elegance and skill of it. ITs just so different then MX or SX.  There is a local guy here with a txt 300 2003 here for short money i may look it. Im just slightly concerned about the parts thing, as long as i can get parts in general I'm fine. Its not my only bike so if i can't ride it while waiting on parts its not like I'm dead in the water. On the other hand, unless i was just filthy rich, at my entry level, I'm not sure i would go spend 9k on a new bike. At this point i don't even know if i like it. Its still just a fantasy i suppose 

"There is a local guy here with a txt 300 2003 here for short money i may look it. Im just slightly concerned about the parts thing, as long as i can get parts in general I'm fine."

I bought my 03 GASGAS TXT 125 punched to a 225 last year. It was ridden and not cared for very well. It needed all linkage and wheel bearings,some seals and gaskets, the carb cleaned and an air filter. I had no problem finding these parts.  The only thing I am having trouble finding in the US is the fork bushings. I can get them from Europe though. THey are simple machines and don't wear as fast as your MX or enduro will because you wont be pushing it to the limits while riding. Levers are probably the greatest causality and they are not cheap, so don't fall and you'll be fine.  Go ahead take the plunge it's a fun casual sport and it will make you a better rider. One thing I like the most is I can take it out in the yard and play around for and hour when I am not able to hit the trails which are and hour away. Anytime on two wheels is time well spent.

_DSC0009_zps634f03ca.jpg

• Like 1

"There is a local guy here with a txt 300 2003 here for short money i may look it. Im just slightly concerned about the parts thing, as long as i can get parts in general I'm fine."

I bought my 03 GASGAS TXT 125 punched to a 225 last year. It was ridden and not cared for very well. It needed all linkage and wheel bearings,some seals and gaskets, the carb cleaned and an air filter. I had no problem finding these parts.  The only thing I am having trouble finding in the US is the fork bushings. I can get them from Europe though. THey are simple machines and don't wear as fast as your MX or enduro will because you wont be pushing it to the limits while riding. Levers are probably the greatest causality and they are not cheap, so don't fall and you'll be fine.  Go ahead take the plunge it's a fun casual sport and it will make you a better rider. One thing I like the most is I can take it out in the yard and play around for and hour when I am not able to hit the trails which are and hour away. Anytime on two wheels is time well spent.

_DSC0009_zps634f03ca.jpg

Nice looking bike man

This one i was looking at is all blue. 

Where did you find the yellow plastics? Should i hold out for a txt pro or like a 280 pro or something?

Ive been trying to find  some info on whats different between the txt and txt pro but not found much

Nice looking bike man

This one i was looking at is all blue. 

Where did you find the yellow plastics? Should i hold out for a txt pro or like a 280 pro or something?

Ive been trying to find  some info on whats different between the txt and txt pro but not found much

THe yellow was the color for the txt125 pro for 03, so my bike is a bit of a sleeper now that it is a 225..

I don't know what the difference is between the txt and the txt pro. I don't think it is really going to matter for me seeing that I'm a complete knob at trials and I will never be able to reach the full potential of this bike.. That is another thing I like about trials, after 40 years of riding I'm doing something new on a motorcycle. Maybe road racing next.....don't tell my wife though..

There are deals to be had out there as well. I paid $1000 for this bike and put $400 in parts to get it right.

THe yellow was the color for the txt125 pro for 03, so my bike is a bit of a sleeper now that it is a 225..

I don't know what the difference is between the txt and the txt pro. I don't think it is really going to matter for me seeing that I'm a complete knob at trials and I will never be able to reach the full potential of this bike.. That is another thing I like about trials, after 40 years of riding I'm doing something new on a motorcycle. Maybe road racing next.....don't tell my wife though..

There are deals to be had out there as well. I paid $1000 for this bike and put $400 in parts to get it right.

Damn, i think is safe to say thats a deal

Damn, i think is safe to say thats a deal

automagp68, where in Colorado are you?

I dunno why I ask, I guess I am just interested, but RMTA (colorado club) used to be one of the biggest clubs in the USA.  there are a couple places/business/store-fronts, in Denver area, that keeps some spare parts, or get them.  Billy Burgener, owns a shop up north in broomfield, Euro Sport International, there was a place I visited off i-70 in denver...  I live in KS, brother lives near mead co, so I don't know all the stuff you need, and this was 2 gasgas places, that can get things and work on things.  RMTA has webpage, find those guys they'll know where all you might be able to get anything, or like others, the 3 main places are tryals shoppe, ryan young products, and lewis sport...

I have got to give a plug for Stu, at jackscycles. That is, if he's not buried alive in maine right now.

• Like 1

I just go ebay.

Brake stuff is pretty much all AJP (or Braktec now), and other consumables are all easy to find and relatively cheap.

Never really needed anything that wasn't kind of generic apart from a water pump impeller for my '00 Sherco. I'm pretty sure every Sherco dealer would have one of those in stock.

If you're worried about parts, think about all those people still riding vintage bikes, they seem to be able to keep them going. That's my logic for keeping my 290 (and my VOR).

Checked out jackscycle online the other day. It looks like they've a real nifty online store. Good prices to boot!

I had a Sherco 290 for a bit. I think it was a 2000, there is a U.S. distributor and they always had EVERY part on hand. There were no deals, but the availability of parts wasn't lacking in any way.