Sign in to follow this  

TT500 Call

I have a half dozen or more at any given moment. If it wasn't for my wife and kids mini-bikes that's all I would own. As for the sound I like the low revs thump as much as anyone but you can't ignore the tone of a dyno tuned megaphone at above 7000 RPM. Ooohh baby........

Why oh why did they go front heavy with the 550s? The sound is still awesome, but i cant get the front wheel up as easy. God I love screaming by people full throttle.

The TT500 was just a copy of the TRUE original thumper - BSA 500 Victor. I recall riding on a Michigan CCC trail tour about 1976 with a buddy riding his dad's Victor. I can distinctly remember the chunks of sod that rear tire chucked with every power stroke of the piston. The bike leaked oil and the electrical system was tempermental but it inspired me to buy the great copy from Japan, a '79 XT500.

I had a 78 TT500 that was street legal in NM. Loved that bike on the trails, but it was a little hand and butt numbing when I rode it the 40 miles to work. After I sold it, I went through a few other thumpers (including a pretty nice Husky 610XC) but I still miss that TT. I now have an XT550, hope to get it out on the road soon!

Try for a frame at www.framecrafters.com in the States for US$ +/- 2600,speak to Randy or try geoff@geoffmorrisconcepts.com in Australia,expect to pay +/- A$ 2480-Geoff also has a whole range of the accessories for these frames,ie sidecovers etc-both frames are HL500 replicas-show us a picture of your bike TooFast..and who were Hyperkinetics?

I got an '84 TT600. It had low hours and had been a Stunts Unlimited bike for the movies. It runs great and pulls my big 280+ Lbs. frame up any trail or hill I've been able to find. Its a bit soft in the suspnsion but I put a works spring on the rear and am looking for better forks to replace the stock softies.

LOVE THAT BIKE

If anyone has any experience replacing or repairing an main seal in the case PLEASE!!!! message me.

:):D:):D

Just registered but i'm sitting on a 80 TT 500 as if you couldnt tell from the name. Gotta love riding a bike thats 4 years older than i am.

Gotta love riding a bike thats 4 years older than i am.

and you might even live to quite a lot older if you wear a helmet :)

We have an 83 XT550 with a Supertrapp pipe. Nice old school bike. It's going with us next Wed.(from Ohio) to Wyoming the be a backup bike for a 3 day Dual Sport ride.

and you might even live to quite a lot older if you wear a helmet :)

Agreed. I'm usually pretty good about it, i was just messin around at the time and the pic came out good. And yes i also understand thats when most accidents happen :)

Does anyone know what a good compliment is for the 540 kits? Its already got a supertrap, but needs a bigger head pipe. Any diameter recomendations? Also going to get a mikuni 36 or 38.

Yeah, open pipes. Thanks a lot for helping to get more riding areas closed including tracks that have been in business for decades. You open bike bozos will be the death of motorcycles in this country yet.

And why am I not surprised that there are HD owners in this too.

Yeah, open pipes. Thanks a lot for helping to get more riding areas closed including tracks that have been in business for decades. You open bike bozos will be the death of motorcycles in this country yet.

And why am I not surprised that there are HD owners in this too.

El Marko - Those are some pretty broad and asinine statements.

I have a few ol' 500s with closed course only exhaust systems which we affectionately call open megaphones. I have passed AMA tech inspections for sound levels in the past with these systems. I also have failed those same sound checks with modern MXers running the factory "quiet" exhaust.

I also own a Harley which is the quietest bike I own other than my childrens mini-bikes.

Don't misunderstand me - I too am angered at the closures of our lands and tracks. I too am annoyed by the disrespect shown by a few bad apples. Like the ones that come home from the bar at 2:00 AM riding like they think they are Kenny Roberts in a world GP or something. But the bad apples you need to aim your anger at are the Eco-nazis that use any excuse they can to further their own agenda, or the stupid self righteous homeowners who buy a house next to a racetrack because they got a good deal then piss and moan about the noise affecting their precious property values. Don't attack someone that is on your side of the battle just because the enemy is pointing a finger at them.

I think it was Ceasar that said "Divide and conquer" and that is exactly what our real opposition is trying to do.

I just installed the Mototek ignition on my TT500 tonight and seems like it may rev better. :) I've never had a problem with the points but installed a Mototek in my XL350 and it really brought it alive, so... :D You know it's not like I need any more power on the track since I feel it's got plenty, but it's a nice addition. I may try the White Bros exhaust to and see what that does. :)

Hey Mike,

Dennis Baccus here, yes, I now can start the Husky at will! Where did you get your ignition system for the XL? I'd like to upgrade my 449 too! As to this post, I have three TT500's and love 'em! You should see the faces on the riders that I run into on the South Fork of the Walla Walla River trail system when they''re riding light modern type bikes! They're going - what is that thing and how can it even make it up here? The TT's are a bunch of fun, I'd say even more than my '05 CRF450., just not as fast and refined.

Ride safe but very fast! DrHP

Dennis, I got one ignition off E-bay and another at the salvage yard (great find!). :) Are you going to run Goldendale? I'll race the XL there this year. I'm thinking about selling the TT500 since I've raced it 2 seasons already or race it in another class, not enough 4-stroke Intermediates to make the class exciting or maybe I'll run the age class with the other Mutts. :) Hope to see you at Goldendale. MD

I have a 77 xt converted to tt all wiring removed to tt specs 36mm mikuni kit

weisco 10to1 piston supertrap 4" pipe. just got it together only ridden up the street. seems to run prettty well. nice over all bike. its for sale on to other projects.

those motors fit in mid 70's husky frames easily, the frames are lighter but you got to make an oil tank.