Sign in to follow this  

Blown up CRF450, conversion ideas anyone?

Hey guys, I have read plenty of AF conversion posts here on TT and always wanted to do one of my own.

As luck would have it I found a seized 06 CRF450 yesterday in town and picked it up for $500. The whole bike is a bit rough, but it has lots of potential IMO. Not sure what's wrong with the motor yet, but whatever the problem is doesn't matter if it's getting converted.

Any suggestions for a conversion? Engine, frame conversion kit, and any other advice would be welcome, cheers.image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, I have read plenty of AF conversion posts here on TT and always wanted to do one of my own.

As luck would have it I found a seized 06 CRF450 yesterday in town and picked it up for $500. The whole bike is a bit rough, but it has lots of potential IMO. Not sure what's wrong with the motor yet, but whatever the problem is doesn't matter if it's getting converted.

Any suggestions for a conversion? Engine, frame conversion kit, and any other advice would be welcome, cheers.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Easy answer.  That frame is begging for a CR500 motor ;)

• Like 2

So I pulled the top end off the 450 today and the big end bearing is crunchy........ I'm hoping to sell the engine, carb, ignition, exhaust.......everything that goes with a 450 motor to help finance this conversion

So I pulled the top end off the 450 today and the big end bearing is crunchy........ I'm hoping to sell the engine, carb, ignition, exhaust.......everything that goes with a 450 motor to help finance this conversion

go through the motor and see if its reasonable to fix, might be able to make a few buck's to finance the swap.

• Like 1

Any suggestions for a conversion? Engine, frame conversion kit, and any other advice would be welcome, cheers.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's a good idea to come up with a plan and a budget before you start.  Converting a clapped out CRF to a CR500AF won't be cheap.

Even the budget route where you buy all used parts and do all the work yourself will put a pretty good dent in your wallet.

After you sell everything from the bike you don't need, you'll have to find a CR500 engine.  You can buy a new one from Service Honda

for just over $6000.  Used ones pop up on EBay all the time.  Plan to spend some bucks on a rebuild.  The frame conversion is pretty

straight forward.  There's a shop called  CP Conversions that sells all the parts you need.  If you don't know how to weld Aluminum,

plan to spend some more getting that done.  Then there's the radiators, airbox, fuel tank, coil and CDI mounts.

Should be fun.

dogger

• Like 2

It's a good idea to come up with a plan and a budget before you start.  Converting a clapped out CRF to a CR500AF won't be cheap.

Even the budget route where you buy all used parts and do all the work yourself will put a pretty good dent in your wallet.

After you sell everything from the bike you don't need, you'll have to find a CR500 engine.  You can buy a new one from Service Honda

for just over $6000.  Used ones pop up on EBay all the time.  Plan to spend some bucks on a rebuild.  The frame conversion is pretty

straight forward.  There's a shop called  CP Conversions that sells all the parts you need.  If you don't know how to weld Aluminum,

plan to spend some more getting that done.  Then there's the radiators, airbox, fuel tank, coil and CDI mounts.

Should be fun.

dogger

Thanks for the advice Dogger, I'm actually leaning towards a CR250 engine which will be easier (and cheaper) to source.

I got the idea from your last 09 CR250 build! There's always a few cheap 97-99 models that come up for sale, so maybe this is a better option?

Cheers

The graphics and rims are really nice man. Great deal at 500

• Like 1

Have you thought about doing the conversion with a yz250 engine? I know I've seen it done, not sure how much more difficult it'd be. Probably just as cheap and easy to find as a cr250 engine, and you could have it big bored to 295cc.

• Like 2

Have you thought about doing the conversion with a yz250 engine? I know I've seen it done, not sure how much more difficult it'd be. Probably just as cheap and easy to find as a cr250 engine, and you could have it big bored to 295cc.

295!! I like that idea!

• Like 1

IMO for the sake of resale whether you go 250 or 500 i'd stay Honda. It will be worth more. you start mixing brands and you'll invest the same money with a lower resale value.

Also why take a really great platform like the aluminum framed yz and stuff it in that frame? the idea of doing these conversions is to take a great motor and put it in a modern chassis.

Edited by rodgini

Thanks for the advice Dogger, I'm actually leaning towards a CR250 engine which will be easier (and cheaper) to source.

I got the idea from your last 09 CR250 build! There's always a few cheap 97-99 models that come up for sale, so maybe this is a better option?

Cheers

A CR250 engine in a gen 4 CRF450 frame would be a nice combination.  The 450 frame has more room, so the conversion would

be fairly straight forward.  You would have to relocate the "Y" piece and the engine mounts and that's about it.  The rest would be

standard conversion fare.

If you could find a nice '99 engine and bolt on one of those big bore kits, you'd have a pretty stout ride.

dogger

• Like 1

IMO for the sake of resale whether you go 250 or 500 i'd stay Honda. It will be worth more. you start mixing brands and you'll invest the same money with a lower resale value.

Also why take a really great platform like the aluminum framed yz and stuff it in that frame? the idea of doing these conversions is to take a great motor and put it in a modern chassis.

On the other hand who does a conversion for resale value? Lol

On the other hand who does a conversion for resale value? Lol

i did. A properly done cr500af is worth some coin. it's good to know if you do opt to sell your labor of love you'll get top dollar for it. 

• Like 2

Be different and throw in a xr400 engine and have a bullet proof trail bike!! Lol