2006 CRF450R suspension

Im sure its here somewhere but Ive searched and searched and tired of searching. 2006 CRF450R Im 6'3 165 lbs. What are yall running your suspension settings for sand dunes? And what are you running for rocky desert riding? Any chance I can leave my spring rates where they are and only adjust comp/rbnd between the 2 different riding areas? Last night I set my sag at 3 3/8" (about 82.5mm) with stock springs front and rear. Comp/rbnd are all set in the middle.I have the feeling this will work great in the dunes and buck me all over in the desert? I just switched from a KYM that I had dialed in perfect but IDK much about the 450 dialing. Thanks in advance. 

Having the proper springs and sag will put you where you need to be but that is half of it. the other half is your valving. sand vs rocks are two opposite set ups as you indicated, where one you want to slow things down and the other you want to speed things up. your shims control the action of the suspension and the clickers are not much more then bleeders that fine tune the action of the suspension. so you could vavle for rocks and have it set up really well, but in the sand the suspension will not perform as well as you would like no matter how much you play with the clickers. you could try valving for something in the middle, but then you will not be happy in any riding situation.

one suggestion is to pick up a second set of suspension valved for the riding you do and then save the other for the other type of riding. i know that sounds a bit extreme but i think you might be able to pick up an inexpensive set from someone parting out a bike and then when you sell your bike sell the second set of suspension.

BTW, shoot for about 100-105 mm of sag. static sag should fall between 30-40 mm and if not then your springs are either too stiff or too soft.

I was worried I was gonna hear that. My sag is so low right now because I need a different spring.. I havent had a chance to order one yet. Shoulda mentioned that. Unfortunatly I go to Glamis every couple weeks and ride the desert every weekend Im not in Glamis. It always seems like last minute just changing the tire, Not gonna be able to change over suspension to :/ Thanks for the input tho Jon I appreciate it!

The oil in a 2006 fork is no good, right from the factory.

Yours is REALLY bad, being so old.

Time to service front and rear with real oil.

Good point! Without the fork seals leaking it hadnt even crossed my mind to service just the oil. I am sure it has never ever been changed! I got it 100% stock.. banged up, but stock.

Update!! So I just got back ffrom a medium paced day in the rocks and desert.. Suspension did way better then I thought it would! It was beating the hell out of me in the slow tight stuff but man she handled great ones I clicked 3rd and ripped across rain ruts, whoops, rocks and whatever else the trail threw at me.. so I just wont slow down lmfao

The oil that Honda uses in it's forks is known as Whale Snot

Is that stock Honda oil they sell today or did they use something else back then? The reason i ask is i found the Honda (5W) shock oil to work really well. i know this from my KTM days running a PDS and experimenting with different oil. That shock would burn up oil in less than 30 hours depending on the oil brand. The Honda shock oil lasted much longer than the other oils i tried. Because of the good results i had with the shock oil i used the Honda fork oil and never had an issue although fork oil does not go bad as quickly as shock oil so i did not have a good way to test the longevity of it.

I'm talking about the oil in it as delivered.

Showa oil.

It's NOT the Honda oil you get at the dealer. 

It's crap-ola.

Ya, the as delivered OEM oil in the fork is junk. The book says to change it out after 3 hours of run time, which is pushing it if you asked me. The amount of crap in the bottom of the brand new fork is astonshing.