WARider525

Picture Thread: Where did you all ride this weekend?

Too bad the moto community is so selfish. In my area, the mountain bikers have literally pulled thousands of acres from logging companies and made them into multi use trails for hikers bikers and horses. How? By demonstrating a long history of self governance with the trails already established in the area. They’re organized and effective. When a trail gets blown out by too many riders, they announce a work party and literally a 100 people show up and it’s back to perfect in a weekend. Private companies donate mini-ex’s an gravel to these efforts. The city and county are all on board. Why? Because the MTB community has demonstrated the amount of dollars the sport brings to the community. 
Moto is capable of doing the same. Yet there is a real problem with some of the crowd that motos. They’re garbage humans and they bring their garbage lifestyle with them. They will trash an area with cans all over the trail. Rutt the living hell out of a wet trail. Crash their shit trucks into the forest because they’re too drunk to drive. I’ve seen this with my own eyes. The MTB community would never tolerate this behavior and would report them to the cops/FS immediately. 
We need to organize and do better with governing ourselves. Demonstrate the economic impact we have on an area. Organize trail work and hold fundraising events. And call out the garbage humans for being the trash that they are for putting a stain on the sport. 
Until that happens, enjoy what trails we have left because it’s all going to be gone soon. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FlyboiRN said:

Too bad the moto community is so selfish. In my area, the mountain bikers have literally pulled thousands of acres from logging companies and made them into multi use trails for hikers bikers and horses. How? By demonstrating a long history of self governance with the trails already established in the area. They’re organized and effective. When a trail gets blown out by too many riders, they announce a work party and literally a 100 people show up and it’s back to perfect in a weekend. Private companies donate mini-ex’s an gravel to these efforts. The city and county are all on board. Why? Because the MTB community has demonstrated the amount of dollars the sport brings to the community. 
Moto is capable of doing the same. Yet there is a real problem with some of the crowd that motos. They’re garbage humans and they bring their garbage lifestyle with them. They will trash an area with cans all over the trail. Rutt the living hell out of a wet trail. Crash their shit trucks into the forest because they’re too drunk to drive. I’ve seen this with my own eyes. The MTB community would never tolerate this behavior and would report them to the cops/FS immediately. 
We need to organize and do better with governing ourselves. Demonstrate the economic impact we have on an area. Organize trail work and hold fundraising events. And call out the garbage humans for being the trash that they are for putting a stain on the sport. 
Until that happens, enjoy what trails we have left because it’s all going to be gone soon. 

Lol. Mountain bike guys are joiners and order takers, that's why they adapt so well to the club model. Dirt bikers are business owners and rugged individualists, not so interested in playing tummy sticks with each other after riding. You're not totally wrong about the behavior, but your analysis is incorrectly rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding the Beta male generally has of the Alpha. You will never understand why some guys just go their own way. 

• Like 3

Thats not true in western wa. Mtn bikers started building trails wherever the hell  they wanted and the usfs simply shrugged their shoulders every time and looked the other way. Look at highway 18 tiger mtn riding area. Was for moto and built by moto community and they simply “took it” From us for the spandex heads one day. Its just the natural thing that happens when population increases. Its no surprise to me Idaho has best ST in nation and is one of least populated too. We are hated and a dying breed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

Lol. Mountain bike guys are joiners and order takers, that's why they adapt so well to the club model. Dirt bikers are business owners and rugged individualists, not so interested in playing tummy sticks with each other after riding. You're not totally wrong about the behavior, but your analysis is incorrectly rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding the Beta male generally has of the Alpha. You will never understand why some guys just go their own way. 

Jesus. Plenty of rugged individualism in the MTB community not to mention business owners. I see far more athleticism in MTB on average than your average dirtbiker. It’s just that dirtbike guys usually are way more insecure about their lot in life and make up for it by overcompensating. 
The beta male callout is going to get you jack shit. I ride moto, MTB, snowmobile and ski. I see both sides of it. Before you call me a Subaru driving lesbian, I drive a big ass diesel truck and sled the wilderness then ski the gnarliest lines off the north faces. Get the &%$#@! outa here with that BS. I do what I want but know how to play well in the sandbox. It’s got me far in life. It’s a lesson the moto community could use= Be nice. 
You’ll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 

Edited by FlyboiRN
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FlyboiRN said:

Jesus. Plenty of rugged individualism in the MTB community not to mention business owners. I see far more athleticism in MTB on average than your average dirtbiker. It’s just that dirtbike guys usually are way more insecure about their lot in life and make up for it by overcompensating. 
The beta male callout is going to get you jack shit. I ride moto, MTB, snowmobile and ski. I see both sides of it. Before you call me a Subaru driving lesbian, I drive a big ass diesel truck and sled the wilderness then ski the gnarliest lines off the north faces. Get the &%$#@! outa here with that BS. I do what I want but know how to play well in the sandbox. It’s got me far in life. It’s a lesson the moto community could use= Be nice. 
You’ll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 

Aww, kinda triggered for a rugged individualist. I'd say you merely confirmed my hypothesis. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brownballin said:

public land is for public consumption, if those trails are so upsetting take your own advice and buy your own land or lawn or driveway, it has been said that a person can be smart but people are stupid and the public is people, expecting your opinion to be the mass perspective is naive , 

do not get me wrong, I do not enjoy riding a gutted out mass traveled trail but the way I look at it is the more people that use these the more they dont use the trails and riding areas I enjoy

I also dont enjoy people trying to tell me how and where to ride and especially trail etiquette .

these days there are so many new people riding and enjoying this sport that having a generalized concept about how and where to ride will be impossible.

for reference I do own my own mountain land, I use BLM land and I partake in privately ran events to support our community. 

You must have a guilty conscience. No one was talking to you specifically. Yet you defend criminal behavior. I’m just voicing my opinion. I don’t expect anyone to listen. Do what ya want. It’s a free country right? Although I can do lots about the off trail guys. I can turn them in. I can photograph them and video them too. And I’m irritated enough to start turning people in and arresting them myself.  My continual complaining at Hayden creek did make a difference. And the license plates of the vehicles dumping trash were turned in and they were found. And the illegal shooting ranges have been bermed up so they are not shooting down the road.

Ride where you want how you want whenever you want. Trail cams can be set up. And peoples activity’s can be turned into the forest service. It’s already happening here in Idaho. 

I was working on getting some land down on the joe. But my 6 year olds brain cancer has gotten in the way of me getting the plans together.  I have more important things on my plate at the moment. But you got me thinking. Why? Why waste my time building a place for people who have the opinions that match yours.  You’ll just tear it up and leave it for me to fix. No thanks.     

Edited by ej67ss
I can’t fix it now.

I ride mtb too, but I guess I don't fit the mold. Most mountain bikers like their trails hard packed, smooth, rock and rut-free, and literally swept (with a broom). Might as well just ride pavement, cuz that's not what riding in the DIRT is all about. I don't see the appeal in having perfectly flat, smooth, groomed trails (on a motorcycle or mtb). 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just now, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

Aww, kinda triggered for a rugged individualist. I'd say you merely confirmed my hypothesis. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

Well, we all know who the ALPHA is now I guess! Lol. You sure showed me. All hail CnW!!! 

• Haha 1

That’s the problem. You see nothing wrong with rutting or trenching a trail. They are multi use trails.  Your not the only trail user. 

3 minutes ago, ej67ss said:

That’s the problem. You see nothing wrong with rutting or trenching a trail. They are multi use trails.  Your not the only trail user. 

You're gonna need to work on your quote function skills. Your last two posts are kinda nebulous. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ej67ss said:

This land is your land and this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me

• Haha 1

Just now, brownballin said:

This land is your land and this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me

That's Supremacist Manifest Destiny propaganda. Be ashamed, colonial oppressor. 

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ej67ss said:

That goes both ways. MTB'ers get pissed when the horses come through and leave... get this... footprints. Just because YOU don't like ruts or mud doesn't mean that's the RIGHT way for everyone. 

I'm not an excessive wheel-spinner, and I try to teach those I ride with to not damage trails unnecessarily. But I'm also not going to turn around when I see a wet spot on the trail.

Edited by jrodicus100
  • Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

That goes both ways. MTB'ers get pissed when the horses come through and leave... get this... footprints. Just because YOU don't like ruts or mud doesn't mean that's the RIGHT way for everyone. 

I'm not an excessive wheel-spinner, and I try to teach those I ride with to not damage trails unnecessarily. But I'm also not going to turn around when I see a wet spot on the trail.

Define excessive though. Real gnar absolutely requires wheelspeed to make hills. That's why most ohv trails blow, they're not steep enough. Trail builders in legal systems build trails that don't require hill skills. A lot of stuff i ride, the women's way around some hills requires more commitment and wheel spin than any trail in the 25 ohv systems near me. Not surprisingly, no one attempts to steal those trails for mountain bike princess parades. 

If your 300 doesn't sound like a chainsaw, are you even riding? 

Edited by Chicken-N-Waffles
  • Haha 2

I aint taking sides here because I fit somewhere in the middle of the two groups, MTB and Moto....but it has always interested me in how they are SO different, both ride trails on 2 wheeled vehicles in a similar fashion you'd think there would be a lot of cross-over.  I unfortunately don't have any friends that do both, many good friends that moto and only a handful of good friends that MTB, but they are very different groups of people that drink very different types of beer.

I much prefer the Moto crowd, mostly blue-collar, harder working, more down to earth and just generally more enjoyable to be around....I can generally go ride moto and find somebody new to chat too and BS with, the MTB crowd is much more cliquey (for the most part).  

I also do many work parties / trail building with both - the MTB folks are much more organized particularly on social media while I have a lot more fun with the Moto guys, which I think is generally represents the demographics, younger white collar tech(ish) vs slightly older blue collar....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

Define excessive though. Real gnar absolutely requires wheelspeed to make hills. That's why most ohv trails blow, they're not steep enough. Trail builders in legal systems build trails that don't require hill skills. A lot of stuff i ride, the women's way around some hills requires more commitment and wheel spin than any trail in the 25 ohv systems near me. Not surprisingly, no one attempts to steal those trails for mountain bike princess parades. 

Excessive meaning "noob on a CRF450". 🙂 E.g. when the amount of wheelspin actually hinders forward progress, vs. helps.

I love me some difficult trails. Like super difficult. IMO, it would be a HUGE help if all trails were marked with difficulty levels, and people were honest about their abilities and didn't attempt trails that were way over their skill level. This is one thing the MTB community has done very well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Oregon Comrade said:

I aint taking sides here because I fit somewhere in the middle of the two groups, MTB and Moto....but it has always interested me in how they are SO different, both ride trails on 2 wheeled vehicles in a similar fashion you'd think there would be a lot of cross-over.  I unfortunately don't have any friends that do both, many good friends that moto and only a handful of good friends that MTB, but they are very different groups of people that drink very different types of beer.

I much prefer the Moto crowd, mostly blue-collar, harder working, more down to earth and just generally more enjoyable to be around....I can generally go ride moto and find somebody new to chat too and BS with, the MTB crowd is much more cliquey (for the most part).  

I also do many work parties / trail building with both - the MTB folks are much more organized particularly on social media while I have a lot more fun with the Moto guys, which I think is generally represents the demographics, younger white collar tech(ish) vs slightly older blue collar....

I couldn’t agree more. Except for Chicken-n-Waffles, whom I am not worthy of being in his omnipotent presence. ALL HAIL CNW!!! THE ONE TRUE ALPHA!!!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, FlyboiRN said:

... I see far more athleticism in MTB on average than your average dirtbiker. It’s just that dirtbike guys usually are way more insecure about their lot in life and make up for it by overcompensating. 
The beta male callout is going to get you jack shit. ...

Athleticism? IDK. In general overall fitness yes for obvious reasons.

Insecure? Man, not sure who you ride with.  Is your point that dudes that walk around with spandex shorts must not be insecure?

Beta? Lets face is by the very nature of the sport there's gonna be fewer betas in moto, except for the Betas, and there are fewer of those anyhow.🤣

Hmm, maybe the KTM riders are the betas? 

1 minute ago, jrodicus100 said:

Excessive meaning "noob on a CRF450". 🙂 E.g. when the amount of wheelspin actually hinders forward progress, vs. helps.

I love me some difficult trails. Like super difficult. IMO, it would be a HUGE help if all trails were marked with difficulty levels, and people were honest about their abilities and didn't attempt trails that were way over their skill level. This is one thing the MTB community has done very well. 

MTB has done well until you take a moto guy and put him on a 'black' MTB trail and they just laugh 🙄...black, seriously?  At least in the US, go to Canada and &#*@ gets real on the MTB's quickly....their blues are easily our blacks....

Many of our Moto trails in Tillamook are 'trail rated', at least they tried initially, some blues with massive ruts are blacks, some blacks that are torn up with ride-arounds are blues....but in general, I 100% agree with you.

24 minutes ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

You're gonna need to work on your quote function skills. Your last two posts are kinda nebulous. 

Tried to fix it but forum tools are poopy

• Haha 1