WARider525

Picture Tread! Where did you all ride this weekend?

Pretty interesting, and have heard other very positive experiences on the bike. What does this thing weigh?

I feel like I've already hijacked the "Picture Thread" thread enough, but since you asked...

They claim about 250 pounds, and that seems right.  I usually ride a YZ250FX, and it feels about the same, weight-wise.  Underway, though, it feels very nimble, as there's very little rotational mass from the motor, and what is there is located right in the center of the bike.  There are four power modes that you can switch on the fly, and power mode four makes the bike feel almost exactly like a CR250 I've ridden, as it's light steering and with zero engine braking.  Now, I did have to bulldog the thing up a few hills on the ice, and you can definitely tell it's a heavy bike in those instances.

• Like 1

I've heard numerous reviews about this bike, and all of them are rave reviews. Perhaps this is the "3rd" bike in everyone's garage? 2 stroke 300, 4 stroke 500, and lightning bolt with two wheels?

• Like 1

I feel like I've already hijacked the "Picture Thread" thread enough, but since you asked...

They claim about 250 pounds, and that seems right.  I usually ride a YZ250FX, and it feels about the same, weight-wise.  Underway, though, it feels very nimble, as there's very little rotational mass from the motor, and what is there is located right in the center of the bike.  There are four power modes that you can switch on the fly, and power mode four makes the bike feel almost exactly like a CR250 I've ridden, as it's light steering and with zero engine braking.  Now, I did have to bulldog the thing up a few hills on the ice, and you can definitely tell it's a heavy bike in those instances.

continuing the hijack.  Since I'd bet I'm roughly 90% as fast on my 20hp XR 250 as my 50hp yz295, It would be interesting to see the range on the lower power modes.  

continuing the hijack.  Since I'd bet I'm roughly 90% as fast on my 20hp XR 250 as my 50hp yz295, It would be interesting to see the range on the lower power modes. 

Oh for sure.  Even power mode 1 was plenty fast for me, just a bit less punchy.  It also was awesome for steep, technical downhills.  Just click down to mode 1, and it's like dragging the rear brake down the hill, charging the battery the whole way.  After a couple Jam Trail loops to test the four modes, I spent most of the rest of the day in mode 3, with mode 1 for steep downhills.  Probably could have gotten more range had I stayed in 2 or 1.

IMG_2441.JPGIMG_2442.JPG

Did a dual sport ride today from Federal Way out to Ravensdale then north to Mirrormont and caught a logging road up to Poo Poo Point. What a beautiful view from up there plus we got to watch the paraglider run and jump off the edge.

• Like 2

Which camera do you take with you when riding?  I have several nice D-SLR's but really want a point and shoot that takes decent photos.  I don't know which ones have sensors substantially larger than the tiny 3mm x 5mm ones found on the $200 cameras.  A year ago I trusted a Best Buy Doofus who convinced me that any of the $200 point and shoots take "as good a photo as the D-SLR's."  I wasn't dumb enough to believe him but bought one anyway.  Lousy high ISO performance, minimal dynamic range, etc.  I'd really like to get a good P&S with a larger sensor so maybe you have some input.

NC

18605282658_8d84b894cc_h_d.jpg

18170616514_f233351c79_h_d.jpg

18605282658_8d84b894cc_h_d.jpg

18170616514_f233351c79_h_d.jpg

18604443498_1faec83b28_h_d.jpg

18606314619_c7c4236ab4_h_d.jpg

18171521743_1edd3a7ef9_h_d.jpg

18604443498_1faec83b28_h_d.jpg

18606314619_c7c4236ab4_h_d.jpg

18171521743_1edd3a7ef9_h_d.jpg

I understand better than most that people take pictures not cameras.  As much as I love my series of $$ Nikon D-SLR's and megaheavy lenses, I won't take them dirt biking with me.  I took them on my trip to Alaska last summer and still used my iPhone most of the time for convenience.  Pics are over processed and may not print well at large sizes but for the web and Facebook you cannot beat the convenience.  I think a good point and shoot is in order and if you can reveal which camera you use, I'll take a look online and check it out.

Awesome pics and I have probably posted this same question to you in the past.

NC

23995648671_6c9e2fad91_h_d.jpg

23450019354_47c96340ec_h_d.jpg

23970117602_7090af5167_h_d.jpg

23062401233_807443a140_h_d.jpg

23688320945_e5aaf35cea_h_d.jpg

• Like 4

I use a Sony RX100 III, it is an amazing and small camera with most of the qualities of larger cameras. It is the camera of choice of professionals when they don't want to carry a large camera. Not cheep but you get what you pay for. Nice thing is that is a full capability camera with a Zeiss lens and only 4" x 2 3/8" x 1 1/2" deep and I take it everywhere. 

post-345078-0-92730600-1485622546.jpg

post-345078-0-32471500-1485622710.jpg

DSC02238.JPG

DSC01766.JPG

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 5

Thanks for the Sony rec.  I'll take a look.

Last comment on all the great snow bike pics.  Are you dropping exposure a stop or two to keep the snow blowing out?  You can PM me if preferred.  I kinda, sorta, know all/most of the photo tricks to get good images but I still like to ask to make sure I have not missed something.

NC

Whoaaa....$700 for that camera. It takes great pics though.

Yes it isn't cheep but it is incredible, has most every feature of a full size SLR, very nice lens and takes amazing pictures at 20mega pixels (in RAW if you want it). Even the video function is great. I haven't bought a serious camera in a very long time cause it didn't want to carry a beast anymore. Been watching this type of camera evolve for some time with all the major players pushing the goal post further and further. Lica came close, then Sony came out with the RX line and things got serious. The RX100 lll has it all.
  • Like 1

Pittbull, what rear tire is that on your bike?

How is that camera for taking pics long distance? Like mountain ranges etc?

Pittbull, what rear tire is that on your bike?

How is that camera for taking pics long distance? Like mountain ranges etc?

My Berg now has a new Kenda Ibex (was using GT216). I really love the new Kenda, absolutely wicked tire. IMO quite a bit better than the GT216 gummy and that says a lot.

The RX100 lll has a 24-70 Zeiss F1.8 lens with a 2.0x digital zoom and 20mega pixel processor. Taking pics up to the 70mm focal range in any light will hive you outstanding images. Using the digital zoom beyond that point is OK but still digital. Just keep in mind that even only zoomed in as far as the 70mm will take you, you can crop quite a ways with 20mp raw images. The camera has every setting I've ever heard of and so many more that still baffle me. As well it has full manual for those who really know what they are doing. Seriously though, if you are interested in this camera there are 1000's of serious reviews and several YouTube videos.

This camera is loved by pro's and thankfully works very well for challenged individuals like me.

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of the info on the camera.  I have  a birthday coming up.  I will probably go for the sony rx instead of updating my gopro hero 3+.