WARider525

Picture Tread! Where did you all ride this weekend?

Legos to Blowout to Big Creek to Clifty. Got totally soaked on Saturday. Fog, rain and mud. Fun ride. Watched the Lefthand fire a little on Sunday. 20190727_104522.jpeg20190727_132509.jpeg20190727_132444.jpeg20190728_090611.jpeg

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

@norsepeak

What's the story with the fire?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/left-hand-fire-in-yakima-county-at-2500-acres/

Here are the Cliff(dell) notes:

4 miles east of Cliffdell

started by lightning during Tuesday’s thunderstorm

at 2,500 acres Monday morning

Rock Creek Road, Bald Mountain Road and Forest Road 1702 are closed. While State Route 410 is open, people are asked to avoid the fire area.

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife has closed about 5,000 acres of the southwest portion of Oak Creek Wildlife Area.

Twenty-two homes on Rock Creek and Big Rock roads are under “go now” evacuation notices.

A total of 494 people, 10 helicopters and 21 engines are fighting the fire. It was 8% contained and burning in timber on Monda

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/left-hand-fire-in-yakima-county-at-2500-acres/

Here are the Cliff(dell) notes:

4 miles east of Cliffdell

started by lightning during Tuesday’s thunderstorm

at 2,500 acres Monday morning

Rock Creek Road, Bald Mountain Road and Forest Road 1702 are closed. While State Route 410 is open, people are asked to avoid the fire area.

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife has closed about 5,000 acres of the southwest portion of Oak Creek Wildlife Area.

Twenty-two homes on Rock Creek and Big Rock roads are under “go now” evacuation notices.

A total of 494 people, 10 helicopters and 21 engines are fighting the fire. It was 8% contained and burning in timber on Monda

Dang, that's bad news and if it moves West or NW can jeopardize LN and Taneum.

Was just dual sporting over there with @bungholio a couple weekends ago.   

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Dang, that's bad news and if it moves West or NW can jeopardize LN and Taneum.

Was just dual sporting over there with @bungholio a couple weekends ago.   

I am generally a let it burn guy because that needs to happen to prevent huge catastrophic fires. Problem is we have 100+ years of fire suppression in the mix so it makes choices on managing fires a bit more complex.

• Like 3

It's not an issue, burning down low in rock creek. They're gonna let it burn across to the right hand fork and into an old fire area.

[mention=323623]norsepeak[/mention]
What's the story with the fire?
  • Like 2

Teanaway last weekend. This is Medra, going West to East. Man I was tanked by the time I got to the ridge line!
  • Like 8
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, HHey said:

Teanaway last weekend. This is Medra, going West to East. Man I was tanked by the time I got to the ridge line!

This is awesome, as usual vid surely doesn't do justice to the steepness.

• Like 1

20190723_152115.jpg.0eb7307a609c0d3065ec6925a23a7cf7.jpg
Nice avalanche debris. I think I saw this, or similar, on the Ridaho fb page. So do you cut this out, a path through it, or change the trail and go around?

4 minutes ago, bungholio said:
On 7/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, bajataxi said:

20190723_152115.jpg.0eb7307a609c0d3065ec6925a23a7cf7.jpg

Nice avalanche debris. I think I saw this, or similar, on the Ridaho fb page. So do you cut this out, a path through it, or change the trail and go around?

That was placed there to keep riders from Ohio out.  

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, HHey said:

Looks like we took the same line up that rock section

My riding buddy and I rode Teanaway for the first time last October starting at De Roux and riding Medra in that direction. 2 fouled plugs and a chronically overheating bike later, we made it up the ridgeline. Like you, I was tanked by then. The last tough climb after the creek bed that starts with a right hand corner and no run up the loose shale for about 50 yards almost did me in. I was sitting at the bottom with a bald tire thinking I wouldn't make it up but my riding buddy did so I had to. Can't wait to get back.

Edited by crashhard_17
video problem
  • Like 1

Looks like we took the same line up that rock section

My riding buddy and I rode Teanaway for the first time last October starting at De Roux and riding Medra in that direction. 2 fouled plugs and a chronically overheating bike later, we made it up the ridgeline. Like you, I was tanked by then. The last tough climb after the creek bed that starts with a right hand corner and no run up the loose shale for about 50 yards almost did me in. I was sitting at the bottom with a bald tire thinking I wouldn't make it up but my riding buddy did so I had to. Can't wait to get back.

Sounds about right! Other guy with me had a fresh M5B, that’s the right tire for this imo. Love the steep switchbacks, but I never seem to get enough momentum to make it up and over that big root..
  • Like 1

Those of you looking for a challenging and scenic dual sport ride might consider the Illibot Creek drainage east of Darrington, Washington. This consists entirely of F/S roads, but many miles are overgrown into a jungle and will probably be unrideable very soon. Both the Illibot Peaks road and the South Boundary road can be ridden to high passes, about 4000’, in the basin. The wildflowers and views are worth the unnerving brush crash into this seldom visited area. Be prepared for panoramic vistas of the Sauk, Suiattle, and Skagit river valleys, Whitehorse, Whitechuck, Glacier peak, and the Finney Creek peaks. Plan on 70 miles for fuel. Study Google Earth before you go. Don’t try this when the jungle is wet..2F9F1180-684E-4A69-BB4D-5D0D60315E27.jpg

• Like 7

Canyon Ridge trail. On a clear day the views should be really good. 

Do not ride this trail from west to east. Impossible. Rode it east to west. If you’re not on your A game for primitive trail riding, complete the hill climb at about mile 7 but then turnaround. The next two miles are hard especially if you don’t have a low pressure optimized trials tire. Quicksand mud, knobby dug ruts, slimy roots at the surface, very steep grades to descend, etc. 

great restaurant in maple falls named Yuki Yama - seriously good. Another in Deming called north fork brewing - wow good pizza and beer. 

176EA596-AF8A-4DA9-B36F-20F910EFFC4D.jpeg

A5930FA5-21E0-46DF-9701-BCD3BED7CA65.jpeg

DFFB49AF-499C-4895-970E-6FEB7380BFF4.jpeg

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Canyon Ridge trail. On a clear day the views should be really good. 

Do not ride this trail from west to east. Impossible. Rode it east to west. If you’re not on your A game for primitive trail riding, complete the hill climb at about mile 7 but then turnaround. The next two miles are hard especially if you don’t have a low pressure optimized trials tire. Quicksand mud, knobby dug ruts, slimy roots at the surface, very steep grades to descend, etc. 

great restaurant in maple falls named Yuki Yama - seriously good. Another in Deming called north fork brewing - wow good pizza and beer. 

176EA596-AF8A-4DA9-B36F-20F910EFFC4D.jpeg

A5930FA5-21E0-46DF-9701-BCD3BED7CA65.jpeg

DFFB49AF-499C-4895-970E-6FEB7380BFF4.jpeg

My friend is a bartender at North Fork. Love that place. Looks like a great ride, I’ll add that to the list. 

• Like 1

I’m out in Yakima. Looks like rain took care of fire. Did a Yakima river float with family (very fun and cheap entertainment) and now camping at rim rock, s fork tieton. Today and tomorrow I’m scouting some trails that I’ve yet to hit out here, and check out some of the bigger forest on the east slope. @Russ Henry is planning on a sxs, Jeep, dirt event here... great venue for all that. 

This area could expand massively with singletrack  The Grey Rock trail here is a fun intermediate trail  

450 day here I come..

FDBE1507-6D15-4F90-A3D8-CF2B7ADC2D9B.jpeg

DB5C0BEC-92BD-49A2-BF04-DA488419B6B6.jpeg

• Like 4