Sign in to follow this  

Cr500af vs yz325

Drag race on asphalt or sand.

I just get the big bore kit for the yz haven't got it put on it . Curious to see what it will turn out like.

i think you know the answer to your question. I'm no drag racer but i'll pass my buddies who are WFO on 250's ( one eg yz300) like they are standing still. No contest in a straight line. if i can get traction i'll pull hole shots on 250/450's all day. getting on a 250 big bore or not after riding my 500 makes them feel anemic like a 125.   

• Like 1

I don't really get this, which bikr do you have? What are you asking which will win in a drag race? When has that mattered ever?

People do sand drags and even bring their bikes to a drag strip all the time.  It's not my cup of tea nor does it appear to be yours but that doesn't make it wrong...

People do sand drags and even bring their bikes to a drag strip all the time. It's not my cup of tea nor does it appear to be yours but that doesn't make it wrong...

I mean yeah that makes sense but even drag racing professionally they don't sit around online and argue about what would beat what, they just line up.

It reminds me of the "this kid said his kx85 will out drag my crf230 what do you guys think" kind of threads

• Like 1

I mean yeah that makes sense but even drag racing professionally they don't sit around online and argue about what would beat what, they just line up.

It reminds me of the "this kid said his kx85 will out drag my crf230 what do you guys think" kind of threads

You should go on drag racing forums if you think that lol.  They are just as bad if not worse than the kx85 vs crf230 kids.  Especially the street racing crowd. 

You should go on drag racing forums if you think that lol. They are just as bad if not worse than the kx85 vs crf230 kids. Especially the street racing crowd.

That's awful to hear, it seems to have evolved into a sport of more trash talking than anything.

• Like 1

I don't have the big bore kit on the yz yet.And I don't race. I'm just trying to get a idea of how much power the 325 will have compared to my cr 500

The CR 500 was/is one of the fastest accelerating dirt bikes in the world. A YZ 325 wouldn't hold a candle to it in any kind of acceleration contest, especially if you do most of your ridding riding on roads or open trails?

I've ran with them on my old 03 kx250 and my yz 250 is faster then she was. So with the 325 kit should eat a 450 I'm guessing.

For what it's worth, my '08 HTR 350 XCF-W is faster than any 450, 520, 525 that I've ever come up against.  What do you weigh?  My 155 lbs dry weight gives me a decided advantage against my buddies and others who are considerably heavier than I am.

i think you know the answer to your question. I'm no drag racer but i'll pass my buddies who are WFO on 250's ( one eg yz300) like they are standing still. No contest in a straight line. if i can get traction i'll pull hole shots on 250/450's all day. getting on a 250 big bore or not after riding my 500 makes them feel anemic like a 125.   

The 500 will win, no doubt about it.  But the more important thing is not drag racing, it's rideability.  My KTM 300 is much more rideable in the woods, but my CR 500 AF is more rideable for motocross.  This is bc each bike is setup differently, for different riding.

I would take the YZ for enduro or woods riding, the CR for motocross.  The CR for drag racing, hill climbing, sand dunes, desert racing (fast desert racing that is), motocross.  The YZ would be better for woods riding, EnduroX type terrain, nasty technical riding which permeates the Texas offroad racing circuits.   

Thanks for the reply. There are a lot of rough woods trails that I would stay away from on the cr that I ride the yz on. I had a 03 kx250 be for I got my cr. my kx had 13/52 gearing. The kx had lots of low end but on open trails top out fast where my yz would blow it away.

I ride my cr500af everywhere. I built it for that purpose. I ride everything from mx to mountain single track. I'm just as fast on it as i was on my yz250 with a 300 kit on it. This required alot of setup and changing my riding style quite bit. Ie ride it like a 4-stroke.The only thing i miss is the yz suspension....that stuff was sweet. I'm also 6'3" 200 lbs which helps when handling the cr500. The must do mods to make it a do it all bike IMO- Flexx bars, suspension re-valve, magura clutch, cr250 ignition system, proper carb setup.

with all that being said...this thread is silly. Yes a cr500 will win in a pee-pee measuring contest (see drag race). For most people a big-bore yz250 would be a better do it all bike though.