Sign in to follow this  

What year CR250R for a tall rider

Thanks for the replies guys I'm going to go to cycle gear hear in the next week or so and hold some bars to see what might work.

Thanks for the replies guys I'm going to go to cycle gear hear in the next week or so and hold some bars to see what might work.

Hopefully your cycle gear has a better selection than mine. My local cycle gear use to have a lot of variety but it is pretty piss poor nowadays. They don't carry any tall bars. CR Highs don't really count because they aren't a tall bar.

All this bar discussion led me over to the store today to investigate the designs, I'm kinda surprised the pro taper bars have barely any sweep and they are really flat.

I think my next bars are going to be twinwall windham renthals, take into consideration the bends and height.

All this bar discussion led me over to the store today to investigate the designs, I'm kinda surprised the pro taper bars have barely any sweep and they are really flat.

I think my next bars are going to be twinwall windham renthals, take into consideration the bends and height.

Any tall guy should go to Renthal and ProTaper websites to look at the bar spec numbers. Without doing that, you are simply guessing. What adds to the confusion is that the manufacturers use rider names to market the bars, but the bend specs vary wildly between bar manufacturers with the same rider and sometimes have no basis in reality and can be very misleading.

For example, the Protaper version of the Windham bend is almost identical to the Renthal 971, which came on 04-up CR's. It is 99mm tall and has 53mm of sweep. But if you buy a Renthal Windham bar, it will be shorter, at 92mm tall, and have more sweep at 57mm, which is too short and too much sweep for a +6' rider.

Another good example are the RC bars. If you buy a Renthal RC bar, it will be identical to the stock CR's Renthal 971, at 99mm tall and 54mm of sweep. Charmical never ran a bar that tall. Too make matters worse is Renthal calling their tallest bar the RC High, which is 119mm tall with 54mm of sweep. If you compare the Protaper RC bar, you will find it is ultra short at 77mm tall, and has 55mm of sweep, which is what RC actually used.

Then we have both the manufacturers making a CR High. This is misleading because at 95mm, neither bar is actually tall, and at 60mm sweep for the protaper and 62mm of sweep for Renthal, they both have too much sweep for a tall rider. A taller rider needs less sweep because too much sweep moves your hands back, and that makes it more difficult for a tall rider to transition from sitting to standing. This will fatigue a tall rider more quickly than a tall/straight bar.

Once again compare the numbers/specs from the Renthal and Protaper websites and remeber that the stock bar is 99mm tall, has 54mm of sweep, and go from there. If you are really tall, run something that is taller than 99mm and has a maximum of 54mm of sweep.

When you start looking and the manufacturers specs, you will find that only one bar is taller than 99mm and has a max of 54mm of sweep. That bar is the Renthal RC High.   

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1