Sign in to follow this  

Newbie rider ... what bike to buy?

Hello, I am stuck on what to buy for my next bike.  I have been riding a DRZ-125L for the past year now and decided to sell it for 900 bucks. I have about 2 thousand dollars to spend and am really wanting a bike that will fit me. I am 5'8" and 200 lbs. I really like having a lot of power on whatever I am riding and I don't want to end up out growing it and getting bored of it fast. What bike should I look into ... I am clueless.

Xr250. Super low maintenance, lots of them for sale with good parts availability. Bullet proof motor and great trail bike. If youre a real noob maybe an xr200, but pretty easy to get bored with after a while. Either that or a kdx220 :)

• Like 1

What kind of riding will you be doing?

I would mostly be doing a lot of trail raiding in the woods, and sometimes hit up the track that is near me. But mostly, I would say just cruising in the the trails and gooning around.

I'm in a similar position- been riding a klx140l and outgrew the power. I am either gettin a xc/xcw200 or kx100. I'll probably just get a cheap 100 then when I outgrow it just sell it and not lose much money then buy a full size. I would get a kx100.

Have you ever ridden a full size bike? Were you comfortable? I've ridden a 250f and too much power now. You will be much faster on a smaller bike if you're not comfortable.

I'm in a similar position- been riding a klx140l and outgrew the power. I am either gettin a xc/xcw200 or kx100. I'll probably just get a cheap 100 then when I outgrow it just sell it and not lose much money then buy a full size. I would get a kx100.

Have you ever ridden a full size bike? Were you comfortable? I've ridden a 250f and too much power now. You will be much faster on a smaller bike if you're not comfortable.

I have ridden a CR125 before and wow was that fun. But, I don't really like 2 strokes because they're much harder for me to ride. I have never ridden a 250f before but I am thinking I am gonna look for a nice 250f to buy. 

A 250f may be the best bike for you

I've been looking at 250f's for awhile now and I think I can handle one. I only ridden a CR125 a couple times now and I did okay, but it was hard for me to ride because it was a 2 stroke.

Ride the 250f before you buy it. If it's too much look at a crf150r. Maybe a xcw150 would be good. It's a 2 stroke but meant for woods so mellow powerband.

A 250f may be the best bike for you

I wouldn't trust any $2,000 250f, one with a single hard season is risky enough.

You've obviously never ridden one. They also dont have an XCW 150, only a 150xc.

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure. Is there a violent powerband? I just thought there wouldn't be a bad powerband, a lot of people say enduro bikes have very mellow powerbands.

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure. Is there a violent powerband? I just thought there wouldn't be a bad powerband, a lot of people say enduro bikes have very mellow powerbands.

Well the XC and SX share the same motor (basically) so its not really any different from a 150sx moto bike (minus some tranny gearing).

Most KTM's have a pretty aggressive powerband because they're not exactly trail bikes like kdx's etc. The XC-W's do have a more controlable hit however. I prefer the SX/XC o teh XC-w myself.

• Like 1

Well the XC and SX share the same motor (basically) so its not really any different from a 150sx moto bike (minus some tranny gearing).

Most KTM's have a pretty aggressive powerband because they're not exactly trail bikes like kdx's etc. The XC-W's do have a more controlable hit however. I prefer the SX/XC o teh XC-w myself.

Thanks, what's their intended purpose for the xcs? Desert?

Thanks, what's their intended purpose for the xcs? Desert?

XC-W's work better in the desert with the taller gearing. XC's have a bigger tank, woods gearing (short first gear) 18" rear, better suspension valving. More so for GNCCs/Enduros/Harescrambles etc.

After reading a bunch of forums about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, I think I am going to have to go with a 2 stroke, because the 4 strokes seem like they're gonna be a little bit over my head in the maintenance and money area. Should I look into finding a year 2000 ish KTM trail bike?

I don't know what the market is around you, but here you can get an 06+ yz125 for around 2000 if you look hard enough, that would be better than going with an older KTM.

After reading a bunch of forums about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, I think I am going to have to go with a 2 stroke, because the 4 strokes seem like they're gonna be a little bit over my head in the maintenance and money area. Should I look into finding a year 2000 ish KTM trail bike?

Dunno what size kid you are but for $2K I'll recommend a late model KDX 200 or 220 to you all day long for your type of riding. You'll have trouble finding a nice KTM 200 for that price and the cheaper, older ones (pre-2005) aren't super great. Parts for them are kind of a a pain as well.

• Like 2

I wouldn't trust any $2,000 250f, one with a single hard season is risky enough.

Oops... I didn't see what his budget was, ya for 2k you'll only get junk unless it's something like a 230