Newbie rider ... what bike to buy?

Hello, I am stuck on what to buy for my next bike.  I have been riding a DRZ-125L for the past year now and decided to sell it for 900 bucks. I have about 2 thousand dollars to spend and am really wanting a bike that will fit me. I am 5'8" and 200 lbs. I really like having a lot of power on whatever I am riding and I don't want to end up out growing it and getting bored of it fast. What bike should I look into ... I am clueless.

I'm in a similar position- been riding a klx140l and outgrew the power. I am either gettin a xc/xcw200 or kx100. I'll probably just get a cheap 100 then when I outgrow it just sell it and not lose much money then buy a full size. I would get a kx100.

Have you ever ridden a full size bike? Were you comfortable? I've ridden a 250f and too much power now. You will be much faster on a smaller bike if you're not comfortable.

I'm in a similar position- been riding a klx140l and outgrew the power. I am either gettin a xc/xcw200 or kx100. I'll probably just get a cheap 100 then when I outgrow it just sell it and not lose much money then buy a full size. I would get a kx100.

Have you ever ridden a full size bike? Were you comfortable? I've ridden a 250f and too much power now. You will be much faster on a smaller bike if you're not comfortable.

I have ridden a CR125 before and wow was that fun. But, I don't really like 2 strokes because they're much harder for me to ride. I have never ridden a 250f before but I am thinking I am gonna look for a nice 250f to buy. 

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure. Is there a violent powerband? I just thought there wouldn't be a bad powerband, a lot of people say enduro bikes have very mellow powerbands.

Well the XC and SX share the same motor (basically) so its not really any different from a 150sx moto bike (minus some tranny gearing).

Most KTM's have a pretty aggressive powerband because they're not exactly trail bikes like kdx's etc. The XC-W's do have a more controlable hit however. I prefer the SX/XC o teh XC-w myself.

• Like 1

Well the XC and SX share the same motor (basically) so its not really any different from a 150sx moto bike (minus some tranny gearing).

Most KTM's have a pretty aggressive powerband because they're not exactly trail bikes like kdx's etc. The XC-W's do have a more controlable hit however. I prefer the SX/XC o teh XC-w myself.

Thanks, what's their intended purpose for the xcs? Desert?

After reading a bunch of forums about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, I think I am going to have to go with a 2 stroke, because the 4 strokes seem like they're gonna be a little bit over my head in the maintenance and money area. Should I look into finding a year 2000 ish KTM trail bike?

Dunno what size kid you are but for $2K I'll recommend a late model KDX 200 or 220 to you all day long for your type of riding. You'll have trouble finding a nice KTM 200 for that price and the cheaper, older ones (pre-2005) aren't super great. Parts for them are kind of a a pain as well.

• Like 1

Would a kdx have too much power for the OP?

He should be fine, I find them easier to control the power than on a 125 therefore making them seem less powerful. For his budget it is probably the best choice since he cannot buy a 1 or 2 year old 250f.

Thanks for the replies, I have been searching on CL for some KDX's and they look like great bikes and they're in my price range. Another bonus is that I found a couple (not sure if all are) that are street legal, which means I can ride to school. :D I think the KDX is going to be my option here. They look like a incredibly long lasting bike.

Edited by FreeRide250f